shape
carat
color
clarity

Don't know if this 2ct. is a good price?? consignment

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, Saw a 2CT diamond in a high end jewelry shop last year. Some lady inherited it and knew owner of shop who put it on consignment for her. $18k. Too much for me :(

Year later (today) stopped in for the heck of it. Still there! Dropped $2k. Asking $16k. No tax if cash.

I have no idea if that is a steal or average price? Can u please help?
Rather a SI 1 and H (up in color down in clarity)..... unless this is a darn good deal??

Much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

GIA done 2013

2.11(size)
Round
Color: I
VS I
Cut very good
No Florence
Symmetry good
Polish very good
8.27-8.31x5.04mm

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Tyty333

I can give up some quality (ie:very good vs. Ideal cut) for better price since my dream is a 2ct and both my husband and myself are teachers. This is a "big $". Three years of summer school employment saved.

My current diamond is a 1.1 very good cut, ... I color VS1 (big spread which I LIKE looks larger).....and I have always been happy. So the "perfect diamond" is not necessarily for me having shallower pockets. Something has to give and i like size. Frankly, would rather go down in clarity to a SI1 eye clean but up in color. If this loose diamond is a "fantastic price" then ok. If it is "avarage" then I can pass and maybe look for a SI 1 eye clean IF it would be cheaper. Can't pay 2k more for ideal cut. This is really pushing it at 16K as it is. :(

Thanks- can u please expand on your knowledge now that I provided you with more info? Wouldo an SI1 H eye clean (in general) run less? Or is this something I should not pass on?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, using the PS diamond search for HCA of excellent to Good with I color and VS2/Si1, I found a range of $12k (with deep stones with hca of 3) to $16-18k with excellent hca (under 2). Many of those in the $16k range were from B2C and Si1. You could call them and see if they can find an eye clean Si1 for you. In other words, you don't have to feel like you can't pass up on that consignment ring. You can find an excellent make diamond for about $16k and put in simple wg setting for about $200, and not have to compromise cut. The facets are much bigger going from essentially 1 to 2 cts. so you want a great cut stone. Another option you could consider is getting a fabulous 60/60 make 1.8 ct. to face up like a 2 ct. to give you more bang for your buck. Add in a little fluoro and you've got a pretty diamond for less $.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Luvd, thank you!!
I think I understood what you was saying...because it is a 2ct. cut is more important than w/ smaller diamonds. Maybe consider going with a diamond that is slightly smaller than a 2ct, has a spread that makes it look a little bigger (top view of 2ct) and 60/60 (is this table and depth?).
Maybe SI1 (eyeclean) toss in small fluorescence (need to Google this)......will save money and still look nice!

Ideally, 14k $ would be my top end for a 2ish ct. $16k is really snearing up in the "I can't justify this at all" range.

I was also thinking of offering the lady 14k $ cash (take or leave it). Has been in consignment for a year and all profit for her since was an inheritance. Maybe she is getting impatient? Not even sure 14k would be a great deal for me or not (I am looking for a great deal, any we all?). Nothing to lose, BUT again, lots to know/learn/think about and unless the consignment stone is a darn good deal- no rush for me. What is another decade of wanting? Lol....

I have been searching on PS and the earlier link for prices. So confusing with two diamonds that are same size, clarity, color...but different in price (that is where the cut numbers come in to play). This is where I get lost! :(

Thank you for your comment (s). Gives me a lot to think about.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
This looks like it could be an interesting find and if there is room to negotiate, a potentially excellent deal for you. Is it possible to post a photo or video, without any information as to the vendor/source?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
hello Randy here are two pictures I took at the shop with my cell phone. A quick shot as walking out door.

Shop owner said 16,000 is the least that she would take so that's why he dropped the price to $16,000 from 18k.
He went on to say he would charge $20 thousand if it was him selling..blah blah blah. That someone is coming in Tuesday who wants to see it. That's what he said last year when I looked at the diamond!! No joke!! I get that he's a friend and trying to get as much for her as she can I just don't know enough to evaluate the situation better. it is a high-end jewelry mom and pop shop local so I feel comfortable that the daimond is what it is and ,of course, i would take it to someone to look over. He said she has no wiggle room so who really knows. Bird in hand......

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
I just wasn't concentrating on taking a really good picture. The pic is taken with a plastic Iid over the diamond. I cropped the picture sure it's useless with the casualness of the pic

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice! Do you love it? How did it look to your eyes? I like your idea of making a cash offer, but start at 12K. With limited purchase protection, just make sure there are no integrity issues and its as stated. If you are sure of what you are buying, love it and can close it at a desirable secondary market price point-- I would go for it. It's an ideal size and appears to be an excellent find.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello again Randy, yes I liked it and it looked clean to my eyes and sparkled a lot. I did not have my current engagement ring diamond on at the time for a little comparison of what I'm used to sparkle and color. Need to go back. good idea to start lower than where my goal would be and take it from there because I know she will counter and probably not come down too much.

Very true on how to protect myself , as you mentioned, in this situation if I do move forward to purchase. I suppose we would need to go to an independent person who would look at the GIA with the diamond. it would be a cash deal and I don't know if that means literally cash or a money order. Suppose it would be best to have a history of payment such as a money order.

just curious Randy, for an "excellent deal" for me, what would be the most I should pay bottom line? just wondering your opinion on that one because I know she won't come down to 12,000k. Thank you for all your helap and knowledge. it is so difficult to make a serious $ like this when I do not know a lot (other than jot buying at a mall) lol! I'm actually going to see if they're open today and go down with my current diamond and kind of look at them side by side and studyou it more.....
Thank you again

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi OP,

I think it is impossible the evaluate the diamond based on photos because of the plastic cover, it looks totally hazy. At the same time I do not like it when they try to push you into buying by saying you have to hurry. At this price, considering the cut, I would pass. I think that you can do much better. In general, I would also recommend going higher in color, an I at this carat weight will usually show yellow tint, H is better. I understand you cannot go higher because of budget. I would also go down in clarity, VS2 or SI, best if you can find an eye clean SI, they can be great budget stones. As size increases everything becomes more visible, clarity, yellow tint, etc.

BUT the great news is that you can hide a lot of imperfections with a great cut. Cut is everything. Even if you have to go I, SI get at least an ideal and the cut will cover the tint and inclusions (mostly). Cut does become increasingly more important as size increases, facets are more visible and also see what I said before. If you can have the nice people here recommend you some wonderful vendors, they can probably work with you to get you a stunning ideal within your parameters. You do not have to give up if you do not get this stone, searching can be really fun. It is not the only stone in the world and like I said you can likely do much better with one of the online vendors recommended here, the price and "deal" is likely to be better as well. Just search and you will definitely find the diamond of your dreams.

Although in modern RBs I normally prefer high whites (E-F for the most part), I have to say that if I was looking for a stone over two carats I would also sacrifice color to get a really TOP cut as that is what makes the biggest difference. Creamy whites can also very extremely appealing. You can also search this forum and find examples of true stunners that are Is. In clarity I do not usually think higher than a VS2 is necessary but have seen great examples of SIs and even an occasional I1. But in the case of clarity you have to judge that on a one by one basis.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
OVincze,
Thank you for your two cents. Lots to think about and I would have no problem at ALL with an SI1 eye clean H with a great cut.

I will go back and look at again (Thurs) bring my current diamond ring. I've never had too much of a problem with the color. Mine is graded H/I GIA from years years (years) ago. A newer appraisal called it an "I". I do wear white gold so understand color is important.

I appreciate everyones input that the bigger the diamond, the more important color and cut are (esp. cut). Sounds like I have many options, so no need for knee jerk purchase, and who knows, maybe she absolutely won't budge off of 16k. Frankly I don't think I could pay that.
Also having someone search for a diamond is an option. They will still need a profit and tax....may add up again. I guess that's why everybody does not walk around with a huge rock! Lol!

Thank you. ..stay tuned (will take more pics Thurs). No plastic lol. husband and I will play good cop bad cop and take it from there and think about it.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
You really need to play with it. See if you can take it outside, but also use diffused lighting within the store. Take your time with it. I like the proportions and it appears to have very nice sparkle. A brief inspection period would be ideal so you can take it to a trusted appraiser. As you correctly identified, every diamond purchase is a balance. Assuming you love the stone, I would really try to buy as close to $12K as possible. If the stone is absolutely breathtaking and steals your heart, you would be fine going a little higher too. And, if you do pay extra, see if the dealer has any trays of old mountings and whether she can throw in an old setting. This only costs her a few hundred dollars, if that, but it allows you to wear and enjoy the stone as you save for your forever setting.

Good luck!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, you do not need to hire someone to search for a stone for you, the people here can help you with that and also there are vendors here that offer great prices and have very large inventories and/or can even bring in stones for you and their prices are still very good. Hopefully some of the very knowledgeable members will chime in soon and perhaps help you with some options, unfortunately I cannot recommend you particular stones because I am a trade member but I did want to give an opinion. You do have options and can possibly beat the price of this stone you saw and get better quality at the same time. Keep us posted please.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both again! Yes, lots of options! Taking it slow. Will stop back and take a closer, longer look.
$12k would be awesome but highly doubt she will drop that low. I am also open to other diamonds that may fit my price point and size/color/cut desires. VERY helpful to read everyone's opinions! Love the tips and suggestions! Glad I worked summer school again this past summer. $$ Lol ! :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 58%/34/41.2/80% lowers can be just fine depending on the specific angles and optical symmetry.
The gia report numbers are badly rounded so they will not tell if it works well...
Buying an ASET or IS scope is not that expensive but the price would have to be right.
The VG grade drops the market price.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
RandG|1411303814|3754722 said:
This looks like it could be an interesting find and if there is room to negotiate, a potentially excellent deal for you. Is it possible to post a photo or video, without any information as to the vendor/source?

$16,000 is a lot of money and you are only going to do this once ( I assume).... Get yourself an ideal cut don't settle with a vG cut stone. Or wait another year you will be married forever and its worth the wait for that special stone

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
RandG|1411315629|3754809 said:
Very nice! Do you love it? How did it look to your eyes? I like your idea of making a cash offer, but start at 12K. With limited purchase protection, just make sure there are no integrity issues and its as stated. If you are sure of what you are buying, love it and can close it at a desirable secondary market price point-- I would go for it. It's an ideal size and appears to be an excellent find.

again this is a very serious purchase and your talking thousands of dollars

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
heididdl|1411353450|3755045 said:
RandG|1411303814|3754722 said:

$16,000 is a lot of money and you are only going to do this once ( I assume).... Get yourself an ideal cut don't settle with a vG cut stone. Or wait another year you will be married forever and its worth the wait for that special stone

Hello, yes, lots of money and I hope to only do this purchase once. Seems most are fans of an ideal cut. I did vote ideal vs, vg yesterday on you tube and I could tell the difference in sparkle. Something to think about for sure!. Already decided I will not pay 16k for the consignment diamond. She may simply be firm on her price. Thank you all for your thoughts!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I found a 1.84 ct I/Si1 at IDJewelry that may meet your expectations and just over $13k, ask if eye clean and if they can help you find a good stone in your budget and desired set of specs. This one linked below is a 60/60 make (yes, both table and depth%). What's nice about a well cut 60/60, is that they tend to be bright and spreadier for their weight. This one faces up similar to a 2 ct. But you get a savings because it is just under that magic number and if it's eye clean, then is a nice stone for a nice price. It does not have fluro tho, if it did it would even be a little less. So you could ask for that attribute if they try to source one for you.
http://idjewelryonline.com/diamond_details1.php?id=54694438

I wanted to suggest IDJ because they seem to understand what PSers want in terms of cut quality but have competitive prices and good customer service (from reviews here on the board). ERD would be another good vendor. They both have many settings to chose from so can do the whole ring for you for a package deal, less headache.

I really think you can find what you want, just need to be a little patient and the hunting is fun! But well worth the payoff in the end. Please keep us posted on your progress and continued good luck!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Luvdajewls

THANK YOU for searching around. I searched PS but was only seeing more expensive diamonds (but believe is memory serves me I was looking at 2cts- not just below).

Good to learn 60/60 have a bit of a spread. 13K - 14K max does match my spending comfort zone. I will check out your links you provided. Thank you.

I would not mind a little fluro if it knocked down the price a bit. Never saw a diamond with fluro but did see something on You Tube that compared two diamonds (one with fluro beside on with out -same specs). Was super interesting and the jeweler said that in lower color grades (IE: I J K) some fluro counteracts the yellowness in the diamond. Both diamonds looked the same with inside and outside light. Do you think I should be looking at an H vs I if I wear white gold? Then again I am aware that will cost more.

Thank you for suggesting IDJ and ERD. BIG HELP. I’ve never shopped on line for such an expensive item, but it does seem logical since I would NEVER walk in a mall store to make this purchase. I would go thought my jeweler BUT he needs to make a commission so I am thinking best to knock out the middle man.

This is just so hard because I know nothing about diamonds other than what the average Joe would know. All the measurements are so confusing.

All of your input has seriosly helped me with this task. I usually get so overwhelmed that I drop the idea. Knowing the venders above will help ease some discomfort.

Thank you-

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's my take, certainly different than many other people that post here:
1) a VG cut grade may look exactly the same as an EX cut grade. In some cases, a very highly trained eye can tell the difference, in some cases a very slight difference may be seen. In some cases people may actually prefer the VG cut grade based on a number of factors not related to the cut grade- such as LGF- a higher number gives narrower shafts creating less "organized" look.

2) It's a commonly repeated mantra that good cut hides imperfections- I do not find that to be the case at all. It's really a matter of luck, where the imperfection sits, and the nature of the imperfection. I adore eye clean SI2 diamonds because they save tons of money.

3) no one can answer the question about the stone you're looking at except you- and you can see the stone. Make sure to look at it outside the super bright jewelry store spotlights.
Trust your eyes.
The price, at $16k is eminently reasonable based on current market prices for VG cut grade stones of this grade and size. That does not necessarily make it a good deal for you- again, you have to look at it.
Maybe the stone has other GIA graded stones so you can compare?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I looked back at my old posts and it does look like I'm trying to steer you away from the consignment stone. Hmmm, my intention was to let you know you did not have to feel rushed to jump on it, do your due diligence and find out more. Especially, return window so you can have appraised during that time. Maybe the owner of the consignment shop would allow the stone to be shipped to an appraiser. Also, I don't feel that $16k is too good to pass up for the specs, although it might be a fair retail price. However, the good things about it are the size, a big 2.11 ct (big because it's 60.8 depth and over 2ct.) It will look bigger than the average 2 ct. stone. It's nearly a 60/60 with 58/60.8, not strictly speaking. It's HCA is 3.0 VG overall if the price is right. Having an ASET or idealscope image would help decide.

Since the owner of the shop is consigning for a friend, I feel if you wanted to offer $14k for it they should forward that offer to their friend to consider. It is a pre-loved stone after all. And if they don't go for it, you definitely have other options. So you are in the driver's seat.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, Thank you for asking. Not too much of an update. I went by Thursday and looked at the dimond again. Very pretty. The owner of the shop was working with someone else and I was interacting with another employee. I made a written offer of $12k cash and left my #. No word back, no counter, nothing. I honestly wonder if the guy (owner) even gave her my offer. I would think I would at least get a decline or counter. So, who knows? Guess that is the end of my journey with this diamond. Too bad we didn't go back and forth a bit in the price, would have been fun. Guess she is firm at 16k (could at least tell me that in a phone message).

The end. It was only a Very Good cut anyway! Lol. I did decode an Ideal/excellent is the way to go (thanks to you all).
If anything changes I will update again. It has been four days. No reply so I can only assumer she doesn't even want to do the price dance. Guess she is happy with her diamond sitting in consignment for another year ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cinnamonstick|1411909348|3758104 said:
Hello, Thank you for asking. Not too much of an update. I went by Thursday and looked at the dimond again. Very pretty. The owner of the shop was working with someone else and I was interacting with another employee. I made a written offer of $12k cash and left my #. No word back, no counter, nothing. I honestly wonder if the guy (owner) even gave her my offer. I would think I would at least get a decline or counter. So, who knows? Guess that is the end of my journey with this diamond. Too bad we didn't go back and forth a bit in the price, would have been fun. Guess she is firm at 16k (could at least tell me that in a phone message).

The end. It was only a Very Good cut anyway! Lol. I did decode an Ideal/excellent is the way to go (thanks to you all).
If anything changes I will update again. It has been four days. No reply so I can only assumer she doesn't even want to do the price dance. Guess she is happy with her diamond sitting in consignment for another year ;-)

I've been reading your thread, cinnamonstick, and I soooo want you to be able to get your "2 ct dream ring"! :)) I believe you'll be able to find a stone that looks the part (in faceup diameter) even if it's weight is just below the magical 2 ct mark. Another thing I wanted to throw out there is that you may want to consider old cut rounds -- Old European Cuts (OECs), as well as transitional cuts in your search. They are beautiful and are more forgiving in the color dept. I think you would definitely be happy with an I (and maybe even a J) in a OEC.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
You are so sweet! No reply. Guess she was insulted. Not even a counter :

All of your I formation was extremely helpful! Very educational! I can never thank all of you enough. The journey continues. ..

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact IDJ and see what they can find for you.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
As you look at other stones, don't give up on this stone just yet. You made a fair offer and its always worth staying in touch with the seller. I've made offers on stones that took time to come to fruition, as long as a year or more. Consistently check-in and ask about other stones, as you remind the seller you remain interested. You just never know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results