shape
carat
color
clarity

Does WF take trade ins?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Do any of the online diamond sellers take trade ins? If yes, how does that work? I''m assuming I would have to mail them my ring so they can look at it??? Is that costly?

Do they offer a competitive price? Also, my ring contains a lot of smaller side stones, which I think would not be very useful to WF, so.....are they just going to be looking at purchasing the center stone, or would they take the whole setting as well???

Thanks for your help.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the best of my knowledge, WF will take diamonds they have previously sold back in trade in but I think this only applies to a Cut Above H&A and Expert Selection, but possibly GIA certed too. EGL aren't considered. You might want to read up on their trade up policy as I believe some criteria have been changed too, but if your diamond didn't come from there then I doubt they would take it. If you had purchased a GIA certed from WF then subject to the diamond being in as sold condition you would get what you paid towards an upgrade.

You could ask some online vendors if they would take your ring, you would have to send it to them for appraisal and they might only be interested if it is GIA certed, but even if you are lucky and someone will take it, you won't get back what you paid for it towards another diamond. Dirt Cheap Diamonds do a consignment program if a diamond is GIA certed, they will put it up for sale on their website and take a commision if it sells, but there are no guarantees and it could take a long time. It is usual to send a ring to a vendor using USPS Registered mail, ti shouldn't be too expensive but it can be slow. This is the safest method as the package has to be signed for each time it changes hands and is locked up when it isn't moving. Hope this helps.
ETA - just checked the WF FAQ and WF won't take a diamond that hasn't been purchased from them.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash only uses their own ACA stones in the pieces they make for others, they might be willing to look at reusing your stones in something made for you for sentimental reasons but they would not use them in a piece for others.
That said I think Good Old Gold and Bill Pearlman both do trade in’s. Whiteflash will accept on of their own stones back.
What do you term competitive. I am sorry to say that diamonds are a lot like new cars once they are off the lot (or past the return period) they lose a significant chunk of their “value/worth”.
You likely will not even get half of what you paid anywhere.
If you have more info about the diamond/ and the ring or pictures though that might help.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks for your replies..... The center stone is .51 ct - round - color GI, Clarity-SI
16 side diamonds - .39 tw rounds

I paid $2106.84 for it, I was working there when I purchased it, so I got a employee discount.

replacement value is $3995.00.

If I trade it back to that mall store, they would give me $3100 for it ( what I paid, plus 5% appreciation for 10 yrs), but then I would need to spend double the amount...so I would need to buy something for $6k. I wanted to purchase the Verragio setting there, but it is only $3200, so they said if I do that, I would give them my ring, and then I would only need to pay $1500 for the setting.....but that upsets me becuz I am losing out $1600 on my ring then.......

I do not think it is a certified....as I do not have any paperwork that states so. I have had the ring for 10 yrs, and looking to upgrade.

oh what to do........

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry this puts you in a difficult situation. That is the nature of reselling diamonds I'm afraid, you normally have to expect quite a loss on what you paid for it. Also if the diamond doesn't have a certificate, especially a GIA will make it even less appealing to a vendor. Maybe you could try to sell it privately but again you wont get near as much as you paid for it. I know it is a shame, but that is how it goes unfortunately. If you do a search on GIA graded .5 G SI1 diamonds, they are selling for around $1k to $1200k, that will give you an idea of the prices for those. Buying from jewellery stores, you will often pay a higher price in the first place. I wish you luck with your upgrade!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the online vendors will take a tradein if it is a great cut diamond and you can provide a reasonable chain of custody for it (they do watch for things that might have been stolen).

I seem to recall that one vendor a year or so ago had a "used" 8* diamond that they took on trade. If necessary - they can always get the diamond recertified. Whatever the "stated" policy is - if someone comes in with an undamaged 8*, HOF, or other high quality cut diamond the vendor will make an exception to their normal policies because it would be a diamond that they could sell without affecting their reputation.

If it is not a great cut diamond.... Some of the vendors would not touch it for any price - it just dosn''t fit into their portfolio.

In general, used diamond prices are a lot less than what a person pays for it.

Given that your diamond apparently came from a mall store I think the chances of it being of great cut is low.

Best of luck with this.

Perry

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks for your input.....it seems like once you buy from a mall store, you are somewhat stuck.....either take the loss and start over somewhere else.....or trade in and stay with the mall store
7.gif

I envy all of you who are able to purchase from WF, and the like....
I just can't afford to start all over with one of those vendors, and get what it is I'm looking for.

thanks again for the help

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jetmal, just a thought here, what are you actually looking for? Also I am trying to work this out, you paid $2k odd for it or $3k?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that, I really hope you can swing it! Best of luck!

Bianca07

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am in a similar situation as yours. My stone came from a mall store. I really want to upgrade ASAP. I went to that store and yes they were going to give me what I paid for the stone, BUT it really seemed like they were jacking their prices up at the same time so they really WEREN''T giving me the money for the trade-in at all. Also the quality of diamonds were hideous.

I decided that I am not going to continue the vicious mall store cycle-it ends now for me. I am going to wait until I can save enough money to start fresh an order from a reputable PS vendor.Because I am a chronic upgrader I know in the end this will pay off not only because of that, but also the quality of the stones. I have been pricing and I know this is probably different for you since you would like the Varragio setting, but I could keep my stone and order new from an online vendor and it really wouldn''t be a huge price difference-and the stone would not compare and this is with my trade-in. I still will have to wait and save up the money, but to me it is worth the wait, but trust me the wait is hard

Good luck in what you decide-I know every situation is different and you need to do whatever is best for you. I just wanted to share my story.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thanks for sharing your story Bianca.

I did the old, "withholding the trade" thing. I got all my pricing first, and I made him repeat it to me several times. Then after awhile, I pulled the ring and receipts out and said I was going to trade.....so I know he didnt jack up the prices on me....luckily.

that is also why I wanted to get the diamond from my friend. Nothing is in it for her, she just wants to help me find the nicest diamond for my budget, and I am sure to find a better quality and a larger stone , with using her discount.....she has ordered a bunch of stones for me to look at on Tues.

I''m just bummed that she can''t also get me the Verragio setting, but the store she works at is not an authorized dealer.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Bianca07

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you are smart and know what you are doing
emthup.gif
, unlike me when I went.

I am sure everything will work out and it sure does help knowing someone-I always wished I had a connection somewhere, anywhere...lol

Best of luck and enjoy the new sparklies!!!!!
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results