shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this thick band make my stone look smaller? Reset?

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have never posted here but have been around PS for a long time reading all the wonderful advice you guys give!

I have been experiencing severe “shrinkage” issues and I need is some perspective… I have started obsessing about this lately and I just need to get some opinions. My husband thinks I’m crazy. He says that a 2+ carat stone will never look small no matter how you set it, but I feel like my e-ring setting’s thick band makes my diamond look smaller. I have a 2.31 (GIA Ideal H&A, VS2, I), size 5 finger. The e-ring band is thicker than a lot of the rings I see on here (it is around 3-4mm) and lately I have been feeling like the thicker band makes my stone look smaller than if I had a thinner band – say 2mm. The thinner band makes the stone stand out more and creates somewhat of an optical illusion I think. I feel like the stone looks more like a 1.5 carat or even smaller because of how it is set. The stone is not shining to its full potential so to speak.

Do you think it would be beneficial to reset the engagement ring? Or the wedding band? or BOTH?
Is the wedding band overpowering the e-ring because it is so thick and squarish? The 5-stone band is 4mm wide (1 TCW).

My concerns about changing my e-ring setting:

1) If I change to a thinner e-ring, it won’t match my wedding band, so I will need a whole new set.
2) My set is platinum. I love the weight of platinum and the fact that it never needs to be re-rhodiumed, but it is more expensive, so if I get a new setting and wedding band it will probably be white gold.

20141130a_1_3.jpg
dsc01548.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt the same way.... And my setting was a little thinner. I had it reset.

Old setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgraded-to-bgb-2-0-ct.193831/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/upgraded-to-bgb-2-0-ct.193831/[/URL]

New setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-evelyn-with-flush-stems-bgb.203805/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-evelyn-with-flush-stems-bgb.203805/[/URL]

I think my 2.0 looks bigger with a thinner band and one thin wedding band. I've tried two and four bands. One works best for me.

akoya

Shiny_Rock
i find the band too thick too. n its even more complicated after u wear it with another band

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes both are making the centre stone look smaller or more accurately drawing your eye away from the centre stone to the overall rings rather than just the main diamond. A finer more petite setting will make the stone pop more.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You have gorgeous rings, hands, and fingers. You could wear anything, well.

Have you tried on other styles of settings to get a sense of what you might like? There are SO many options!

cheers--Sharon

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ering setting is fine, but the wedding band is too thick for my taste.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your ering, diamond and band are well portioned and look great but it only betters what you think. If you like the look of a thinner band go for it.

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
So do you guys think it is more the wedding band than the ering that is causing the illusion of a smaller stone?
Would a wedding band reset help this problem or do you think I just need a new wband with smaller stones altogether?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your main setting is pretty and if you like it, it is O.K, but it is quite thick and it is making the stone look smaller to some degree, it is personal taste, it's not a bad looking setting but on the flip side of that a finer thinner setting is going to accentuate the main diamond more. The band with the diamonds draws the eye away from the main stone. Once again it's personal taste if you like lots of bling it's fine if you are trying to show off your main stone more, you probably need to consider a thinner or plainer band.

If you want the main stone to look larger then a new much slimmer setting would work, a halo would give you lots of bling and more finger coverage as well, it just depends on what overall look you want to achieve.

I'd reset the E-ring first personally and either wear the band as a right hand ring or see how it looks with a new slimmer setting. If you don't want to do that go for a very minimalist band to wear next to it instead.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely LOVE the ER, but, I am a fan of big and chunky with lots of thick gold. That being said, I'm not a hug fan of the band with it...if it were me, I would either go with a little smaller diamond band, or just a plain gold band.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1421205860|3816088 said:
I think the ering setting is fine, but the wedding band is too thick for my taste.
+1

Have you tried on smaller wedding bands next to it? It may change the look and you may prefer it.

Ultimately, if you aren't happy with your Ering you can reset, and a smaller band will most likely make the stone look bigger.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I love it just the way it is. But I'm a fan of wider shanks in general.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1421252865|3816261 said:
JulieN|1421205860|3816088 said:
+1

Have you tried on smaller wedding bands next to it? It may change the look and you may prefer it.

Ultimately, if you aren't happy with your Ering you can reset, and a smaller band will most likely make the stone look bigger.

Your rings are beautiful! I too was thinking maybe you should try on some thinner wedding bands to see if that will change your feelings about your set - maybe you should give it a shot before you go through the expense and hassle of doing a reset, a thinner band might do the trick for you!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well - I LOVE it on you - you have long fingers and I think your set is outrageously gorgeous, blingy and does not make the stone look smaller. You're saying it though - so you obviously DO feel that way. How about a plain band with your ER and wear the diamond one as a RHR? (This could have already been said - no time to read every single response, but just wanted to chime in that I think it looks big and enviable).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others that the WB is taking attention away from the solitaire. Try on smaller ctw bands and see if you like the look.

I have a very similar ring - 2.32ct in a 3mm shank semi-bezel size 5. I love chunky metal look so your setting looks great to me. I do find that either a plain wb or smaller ctw wb makes the center stone stand out more. Whenever I wear my 3ctw eternity next to the solitaire, the overall look is blingy but the solitaire does seem smaller.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like your ering and can appreciate the thickness and weight of platinum. It's your wedding band that is too bulky. I would wear that on my right hand and look for something thinner for the left.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer thinner everything, because narrow bands just make the main stone really stand out altogether, but I would start with thinner wedding bands to see how that looks comparatively. The shank on the engagement ring when flanked by two narrow micropave bands, one on either side, might make a big difference vs the wide wedding band.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
First off I want to say that your rings are just gorgeous! Before I would spend a lot of money on a reset I would try, as others have suggested, pairing your current e-ring with a thinner wedding band to see how that looks. Another suggestion is that if you are close to a Tiffany's go there and try on one of their classic solitaires with a diamond close in size to yours to see if you think it looks bigger than your ring. I recently upgraded to a 2.5 carat diamond and had it set in a tiffany-style 6 prong solitaire with a 2 mm band and I think it makes the stone look very large.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally love your rings! I think the solitaire looks gorgeous, but I love heavier metal settings, especially when they're sleek and modern, liquid metal, like yours.

That being said, going to a thin-shanked solitaire will make your diamond pop more in proportion to the shank, but the overall vibe will be more wispy and delicate. No way to know if this is the effect you really want unless you go try some rings on in that style, preferably in that same proportion (or check out the cheapie cz rings at places like Macys or Target - bet you could find something with similar proportions to wear around the house for a few days, see how you feel about it). Also, not sure how "knuckly" you are, but a thinner ring will be more likely to spin too, because it'll be top heavy and your center stone is quite the door knocker. :)

Honestly, nothing combats shrinkage more than a halo (or as a secondary option, a bezel). Just food for thought, if a halo or bezel is appealing to you.

Shrinkage gets to the best of us - you're not alone! But I really do love your rings!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A thicker band will always make a stone appear smaller -- that said, you have lovely hands, and I think the setting looks pretty on you (anything would though)... If you like the setting, keep it, but if not, then reset to a thinner shank. I would also do a thinner wedding band, as it will make your stone appear smaller as well. You can always get a setting that gives the illusion that it's smaller but it will still be substantial. Mine is one of those... It's a tapered split shank, but if it were solid metal, I don't think I'd care for it as much. Good luck, OP! :))

imageuploadedbytapatalk1410622002.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...don't know why that photo's so big -- sorry! :shock: :oops:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think your set is gorgeous! I think you would so miss the feel and the thickness of your set. I disagree that a thicker band makes your diamond look smaller. My sister in law has a comfort fit thick setting with a 1 carat princess and it looks massive because of the thick settings, it gives it such presence. If she had it in a dainty simple solitaire it'd be much less noticeable. Your set is a statement piece plus! There's a lady on here who has a thick gold bezel set diamond and there's no way that diamond would look bigger in a thin setting, nor would the ring be as striking.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
makemepretty|1421274989|3816437 said:
I think your set is gorgeous! I think you would so miss the feel and the thickness of your set. I disagree that a thicker band makes your diamond look smaller. My sister in law has a comfort fit thick setting with a 1 carat princess and it looks massive because of the thick settings, it gives it such presence. If she had it in a dainty simple solitaire it'd be much less noticeable. Your set is a statement piece plus! There's a lady on here who has a thick gold bezel set diamond and there's no way that diamond would look bigger in a thin setting, nor would the ring be as striking.

Ditto ditto ditto.

Your set has presence now. Switching to a razor thin solitaire will be a big shock to you I think.

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I am starting to like my solitaire better after getting some perspective, so now I am thinking of resetting my 5 stone band instead of the solitaire. I tried on a couple of bands in stores to get a feel for a thinner band.

What do you think of these - are they any better than the original setting I have?

7 stone band 0.5 total carat weight
img_20150114_170815_1_.jpg

5 stone band 1 carat total
img_20150114_170424_1_.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring! I don't think it shrinks your diamond at all, but I have to agree that it looks sooo much better with a .50 carat band.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
so much better with the .5 carat band! I LOVE your ering....but if it were me I'd do a 2-2.5mm plain band and put the honking diamond band on your right hand.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add that I think there is something so substantial about your wide e-ring, and that if that is the look that you originally envisioned, you should definitely try some costume rings before you decide to reset. I have tried so many different settings, always aspiring to make my 2.20 carat to look its best and to look bigger, but I did not like the thin shank on my finger. I felt like it seemed very insignificant and it didn't do much for me. I guess that's what people mean when they say that they like a style on others, but not on them. I have also learned about optical illusions--because that is all that they are. I like to let my daughter wear my ring and see it on her from various angles--boy does that bring me back to reality on size. It always looks so much bigger when someone else is wearing it--I think that is another optical illusion and it might be what your SO is referring to, as he gets the pleasure of looking at it all the time! So my final vote is that you try on costume thinner rings but not just once--get a fake one and wear it for a while to see how long the optical illusion lasts and to see if you like it. If you just go to a jeweler to try rings on, the novelty of it all may just seduce you into changing settings, and then you might find that you miss your substantial ring.

eirwen

Rough_Rock
mrs taylor|1421387503|3817248 said:
so much better with the .5 carat band! I LOVE your ering....but if it were me I'd do a 2-2.5mm plain band and put the honking diamond band on your right hand.

+1 I love your erring just the way it is... A plain band would be the prefect compliment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results