shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this appraisal sound right or am I too sensitive-Revised!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JennyP

Rough_Rock
Hello, Sorry my first post showed up blank!

I just receive my appraisal and at the bottom it had a disclaimer saying that "the approximate retail value reflects a 20% dicount to account for the fair to good proportions of the diamond".
I am suprised by this because the depth is 60.2% and the table is 61%. Every site I look at shows that these proportions would fall into a good or very good category?
I know it sounds crazy but I am friends with my insurance agent and don''t want to send him the appraisal with this "discount" statement on it.
It makes it sound like it''s not a nice diamond.

Here are the other stats on my diamond.
Round
1.58 ct
7.56 -7.63 X 4.57mm
thm to slightly thick
cutlet very small
polish- very good
symmetry-very good
Clarity- SI2
Color- H
GIA Cert

Thanks to anyone who can answer me!
twirl.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You don't tell us what the value is on the appraisal, so it is hard to say whether or not the value is fair for what you have. If it is appraised at a fair retail value then that is one thing, if it is appraised at less than it would cost you to replace it because of your appraisers bias against your stone, that is another.

Please give us all the facts, appraised value, cost to you and whether you bought bricks and mortor or internet then we can tell you better whether or not you are being too sensitive. Or is it just that you do not want the verbiage regardless of the value stated?

Talk to us and we will try to give you good feed back.

Wink

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It is a little puzzling. You can't tell for sure without the crown/pavilion angle/height-depth information, but with the information supplied it seems probable that this diamond would be a Class 2 make, which is considered a "fine" make.

Is there any way you can obtain the crown/pavilion information? This would come from a Sarin report, a Megascope report, or at minimum a gemologist's direct measurements.

Would you consider going back to the appraiser and asking him for this info, and also explain which factors make the cut "fair to good" in his opinion?

I'd be surprised if they're out of whack enough to throw the diamond into a "fair to good" category. That would be equivalent to an AGA Class 3B, or an AGS Class 4-5, and I don't think that's likely with the information seen thus far.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rich is right too, many people would call what you have a Premium Cut, denoting that it is just beyond the boundries of the ideal cut, but no where near the average run of the mill "stuff".

Wink

JennyP

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
My fiance paid $8000 and the appraiser appraised it at $9000 so I can't be too upset about that. The thing is the first stone he got was a clarity enhanced stone and he really didn't know what he was getting. I had it reset and it lost the enhancing and started looking terrible. So we took the stone back and got the one I have now. I was really happy thinking I had done my research and knew enough about diamonds to make sure we got a good one this time. So when it was appraised the appraisal really took the wind out of my sails saying it was fair to good. I am thinking of bringing it to someone else just to see what they say. I guess it's more about seeing the word fair when I think it should be graded good/premium.It is so shiny and beautiful to me and I just want it to get the respect it deserves. I don't know why it bothers me but it just does.
This whole diamond thing is very consuming! I do not have the angle info. I wish I did. Thanks again

JennyP

Rough_Rock
ps...where can I get a Sarin report, a Megascope report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results