shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the number of inclusions matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
Does it really matter how many inclusions there are in a stone as long as it''s eye-clean? I know that people have different opinions of this. I''m looking at a few stones and one is VS2 and eye-clean but the cert shows numerous inclusions. Another is SI1 and has one inclusion (not sure how visible) but no others. Will the VS2''s performance be hindered with all of the inclusions, even though they aren''t visible to the naked eye? Just for comparison sake, assume everything else about the stones is the same (cut/color/carat). Would the SI1 look better with less inclusions?

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert.

But assuming both stones were graded by reputable sources.

The first one is a VS for a reason. They graded it higher than an SI for a reason. The amount of inclusions and the type of inclusions are what makes the clarity grade. So again, assuming the stones are graded by reputable places - the amount of inclusions present in the VS stone does not affect the stone as much as the size,shape or type of inclusion as the SI stone.

That being said - the plots on certificates can be misleading, it may look like a lot of things becasue they need to plot them.. but the "red lines" on the plots visusally look worse than say.. light feathers in a stone.

All that aside.. with Round brilliants that are ideally cut - it can be very difficult to pick out inclusions with the naked eye.. even at SI range..

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Crasher,
As laney wrote, the plots on GIA reports are all but useless in determing the actual look of the imperfection.

As far as the number of imperfections: It''s not possible to make a blanket generalization- but here''s a few things to consider.
The diamond is graded for clarity based on the total amunt of inclusion;.
So- if a diamond has one small "booger" of SI1 size, it''s an SI1.
If this booger is in a bad location, it may be visible to the naked eye.
Now, say a diamond has 3 VS1 sized imperfections. It could now be an SI1 - remember clarity grading is cumulative, so in many cases, the 3 smaller imperfections are preferable to one larger one.
This is particularly true in SI2 stones

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general i prefer a larger number of inclusions, because for any given grade, they will be much smaller and harder to see.

In general I prefer table inclusions, because for any given grade, they will be much smaller and harder to see.

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
The stones I am comparing are all AGS certified ideal cut H&A. They are the same color and similar in size. That leaves clarity as the last of the 4 C''s. I wasn''t sure if a VS2 stone with a lot of inclusions would be better than an SI1 with 1 bigger inclusion. It''s confusing looking at the certs since the VS2 has more red marks but isn''t necessary a worse stone. I guess if they are all eye-clean it''s more of a "what stone looks the best to me". The pricing is also making it tough. The two VS2''s are very close in price and the IS1 is slightly cheaper.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So Wedding Crasher you are grading the clarity yourself from certificate plots.

I can understand you know sooo much now that you do not care about the AGS graders opinion
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

You simply have run out of reasons - just buy a diamond and move on, because you cant learn clarity grading expertise over night.

very few people can see SI1 inclusions - and those that can, cant after 5-10 years of aging
41.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hello!

Are u able to get the vendor to pull the stones out and eyeball it for you?

If your concern is whether the stone is eyeclean, getting the vendor to have a look for you (or better still, if you can view the stones yourself) will be the best option.

Personally, if the Si stone is eyeclean, I''ll go for that, as it represents better value. However, it is up to you
2.gif

wedding_crasher

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/31/2005 9:51:36 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
So Wedding Crasher you are grading the clarity yourself from certificate plots.

I can understand you know sooo much now that you do not care about the AGS graders opinion
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

You simply have run out of reasons - just buy a diamond and move on, because you cant learn clarity grading expertise over night.

very few people can see SI1 inclusions - and those that can, cant after 5-10 years of aging
41.gif

I''m not trying to grade the clarity from the plots! It''s just a reaction - see lots of red and it translates to bad (even though I know it''s not really bad). My girlfriend is still quite young so she might be able to see the SI1 inclusions for a few years too
2.gif
. You are right though - I need to just pull the trigger and get it over. It would be a lot easier if I lived closer to the vendor and could just look at the stones and pick one based on appearance. For now I will do as JadeLeaves suggests and have the vendor eyeball them for me. Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results