shape
carat
color
clarity

Does I and J show its tint when set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
I have a D VS2 diamond but when I want to trade it up for a larger diamond but dont want to pay the higher price for a D color grade.

If I chose an I or a J, would it be noticeable on its own? I mean, since I have a D, will I be able to notice the color difference between a D and a I or J?

The diamonds I'm looking at are at GOG and are:

#1- 1.49, J, VVS2

#2- 1.54, I, VS1

#3- 1.56, I, VS2

I'm going for a solitaire setting. The upload thing is being really slow, so here's a link to the setting I like.

Diamonds and Sapphires

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should look at the thread J stones in platinum, you''ll see a lot of great examples. The stones you posted from GOG are gorgeous!! Have you seen an I and a J in person. Since you have a D you may be able to notice the difference in color. But IMHO when you are looking at Ideal cut I''s and J''s it''s very hard to see a hint of color. To me they look very white. HTH and good luck. I love that setting by the way, love sapphires and diamonds together!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2005 3:20:10 PM
Author:Deputy74

If I chose an I or a J, would it be noticeable on its own? I mean, since I have a D, will I be able to notice the color difference between a D and a I or J?
Staring at them side by side intently... maybe. It not at all obvious, to me.

Just one vote, of course.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
If you have a D stone already, yes you will almost certaintly notice the difference. (I have a D and I notice differece in tones starting fom F). Will the difference bother you however is another question. As kaleigh has mentioned there are several links that show off I-J color stones on this forum. If you like yellow gold, they say that a yellow gold setting may hide the color better than white gold/platinum.

However, in my opinion, I think the best way to know is simply to go into a jewelry store and ask to see some J or I color stones in a shape that you are considering (i'm gessing its for a round stone). Look at it individually, see if it bothers you. You can then compare it with the D you currently have to see the degree of color difference. Look at other colors between F-J already set in a setting to determin the lowest you want to go.

Also, as kaleigh pointed out, excellent cut rounds will look whiter than average cut rounds in the same color.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
My BF and I are going to be going with an I colored stone for my e-ring. Yes, I could definitely tell the difference between a D and an I when I put them side-by-side in the store. However, for the size difference, I think an I or J stone is well worth it. I figure that by the time I set the stone, and have it on my finger without any other stones next to it for comparison, I don''t think I''ll notice the difference at all. An I or a J is more like a winter-white...which I have come to absolutely LOVE! Plus, with my coloring (blond with pink skin undertones), the warm stones are actually more flattering. I think I might get only one or two people ever ask me about the color, but tons will ask me how many carats it is...

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
If you decide to go out looking at diamonds to compare what your D looks like to an I o a J it may be hard to do unless you have a store carrying AGS or GIA graded diamonds that are extremely well cut: Different labs have different standards. A diamond graded I or J by a softer lab (such as you''ll find used by many chains) could actually be a K or L if held to AGS/GIA standards.

More importantly, great cut will help a near-colorless diamond face-up like one that is colorless. That is the whole reason we have the "J stones in platinum" thread here on PS. At the lab, round diamonds are graded for color face-down and viewed from the side. This is because a diamond of premium cut can have such great light return that it masks body color when viewed from the top. A diamond graded H, for instance, may face-up like a G or an F, but only if it was extremely well cut.

It will be difficult to find such well-cut diamonds in common shops. So bear in mind, if viewing diamonds live, that you may not be comparing apples to apples lab-wise and especially cut-wise.

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions about going to a store to compare my D to the other color grades. However, I do understand that since they may not be on the same grading scale, so it may not be a "true" comparison.

Thanks for the link to the J color stones. I think I will feel very comfortable now ith getting an "I" colored ring since I only noticed the slight tint if looking at the side of the ring.

This has helped me immensely with my quest for "my precious."
26.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a G, H and now a J and I think they were all really beautiful. The J is a little warmer from the side view but I like it..it''s not a bad thing. And it''s a beautiful stone, probably more lively than either my G or my H (which was ideal cut as well), so it''s interesting.

The 1.49 J VVS stone on GOG was Leila''s old stone...she posted a bunch of pictures of it and I think it''s also in the J stones in Platinum thread. She recently upgraded to a 2c J so her 1.49 is up on GOG again...she said in a previous thread it was a stunning stone.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results