shape
carat
color
clarity

does BGD signature H&A or WF ACA much better than JA or BN?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
hello dear PSers! i know a lot of you here have owned/seen so many diamonds from so many different vendors, so i want your opinion on this question:

if i have a BGD signature H&A, A WF ACA, a JA round, a BN round. all 4 are very similar in stats - i mean, not only color, clarity, carats, but also the table, angle, etc. etc, that you can find on the certificates - do the former 2 really give obviously better light performance?

I am asking this questions because their prices differs so much, which make me think there must be a reason.

i appreciate t a lot for your input!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: does BGD signature H&A or WF ACA much better than JA or

BGD H&A and WF ACA diamonds come with a better trade up policy and extra assurance (Platinum AGS report, actual ASET and IS images, and in house Sarin Report for Whiteflash). Therefore higher premium for BGD and WF diamonds. This is important to many who want better protection and flexibility on their investment.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Right, there are things other than the stone's light performance that affect the price. If they are all cut to similar measurements, they all sacrificed the same amount of rough diamond to get there, so the prices would be similar. To cut to that higher level of precision, the branded stones will carry an additional premium for the added time and effort. Some people appreciate the craftsmanship and time that go into achieving that level of precision and are willing to pay for it, even if it isn't because of an obvious performance difference. Some people, especially those that spend a lot of time looking at diamonds, can pick up on the nuances and subtle differences between a precision cut "super ideal" and an "ideal" cut diamond. The measurements and light performance metrics you see on a grading report, however, won't necessarily designate one as "better" as far as "light performance" goes. There are plenty of diamonds available that would achieve the same AGS 0 light performance mark, yet are not "super ideal" hearts and arrow stones. Best way to know if YOU can appreciate the difference is to see one in person and compare it to the cheaper, non branded stone in an unbiased environment. With the return policies that online vendors offer, you have a sort of risk free trial period to see whether you personally feel the visual difference is worth the added cost. Many here find the added cost worth it, even if not due to a visual difference but rather the value adding trade up and buy back policies that often come with branded stones. Others, myself included, don't have the want or need for those policies and can't see a visual difference that justifies spending the extra amount of money, which is often substantial. It all comes down to your personal needs and preferences.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

These guys gave you excellent replies! I have had both excellent/ideal cut GIA graded stones and I have had Whiteflash ACAs and a GOG H&A stone. I am open to having both, but I think for an engagement ring I prefer having the best cut and the flexibility of the upgrade policies (or even buyback, in some unlikely circumstances). I do happen to have WF ACA diamond studs which was a wise choice for me because I have upgraded them more than once! But I also have bought a regular great cut round brilliant that I will use for a right hand ring or pendant. A lot has to do with the budget and whether there is a chance in the future of upgrading the diamond. Plus some people just like the mental aspect of having the most precisely cut stones. Others are happy getting the lowest price. So it really is an individual thing!

new4diamond

Rough_Rock

I believe much of it is a mind thing....the satisfaction of having ACA or a BGD H&A plays into ones mind....Knowing you have the best of the best may be worth the cost to you. I purchased a BGD H&A and glad I went that direction.

queradas

Rough_Rock

pricescopenewbie|1455390321|3990589 said:
hello dear PSers! i know a lot of you here have owned/seen so many diamonds from so many different vendors, so i want your opinion on this question:

if i have a BGD signature H&A, A WF ACA, a JA round, a BN round. all 4 are very similar in stats - i mean, not only color, clarity, carats, but also the table, angle, etc. etc, that you can find on the certificates - do the former 2 really give obviously better light performance?

I am asking this questions because their prices differs so much, which make me think there must be a reason.

i appreciate t a lot for your input!

A real world comparison is never "exactly" the same but if you were comparing 34.5CA/40.8PA/57T%/80 LGF% diamonds with near HA and HA I doubt even the most eagle eyed person could tell the difference. I don't believe in paying a significant premium for upgrade policies or "mind clean" but to each their own.

While the BGD and WF brands are more strict and consistent in general you aren't buying a series of stones just one, so you should compare price and cut quality of each individual stone and determine the value proposition once you look at the images. In general their is very little difference that can be seen without magnification between the 'superideal' brands but on a stone by stone basis some are further apart than others.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results