shape
carat
color
clarity

Does an old GIA certificate on a diamond mean anything?

sudeikis

Rough_Rock
I came across a diamond with promising stats, but I was curious if you thought an old GIA certificate means anything?

One of the Pricescope vendors is selling this diamond, and when I asked him whether it was eye-clean, he referenced that he would get it from the cutter and check, but then I noticed that the GIA certificate is dated 2008. Does that mean that it's been floating around for 5 years because no one has wanted it? Or that someone purchased it and had it for several years, then returned it and another GIA exam was never done?

Or does it mean nothing at all and I'm just overthinking this whole process? :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be either.
Before buying it I'd PAY an independent pro (not selected by the seller and not a person who sells diamonds to avoid conflict of interest ) to ensure there are no tiny chips or other damage as a result of it being set and worn.
There is a list of appraisers under the Resources tab at the top of this screen.
If it's perfect then I'd not be bothered by the old report ... unless it is a round ...

GIA used to not grade the cut of rounds.
I don't remember what year they started.
If it is too old to have a cut grade then perhaps it wasn't sent to GIA for a fresh report because the seller knows it would not get the highest cut grade of Excellent.
(BTW, even GIA's Excellent cut grade includes some deep diamonds that have light performance that is inferior to others that are not too deep.)

If it's round plug specs in to the HCA: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

If it scores over 2.0 reject it.
If it scores under 2.0 get an Idealscope image. https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope
Compare it to this chart.

If your seller won't/can't give you an Idealscope image I'd either buy an Idealscope and only buy the diamond with a money back guarantee period long enough to examine it under the Idealscope, or find another seller.

If you are buying any other shape than round you need an ASET image to evaluate the cut quality. http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp

A few superb sellers with well-cut diamonds, good policies and prices are Jamesallen, goodoldgold, whiteflash, briangavindiamonds, Crafted by Infinity brand from highperformancediamonds.
These vendors have been tested by fire for years in the crucible of Pricescope public forum.

idealscope_ref_31.png

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA cut grades on modern round brilliants started in 2006.

A 5 year old report doesn’t necessarily mean very much. Diamonds aren’t exactly perishable after all and you’ve picked the choices. SOMEONE has owned it for at least 5 years. That’s not necessarily a bad sign but it is an opportunity for the stone to get damaged and an inspection is appropriate as part of a purchase decison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results