shape
carat
color
clarity

Do pears show color more than rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

When comparing a round and a pear of the same color grade, will the round stone face up whiter assuming it is an ideal cut? For the pear, assume 1A-1B grade. I''m shopping for pear side stones to match my GIA graded H colored center stone and found a really nice uncerted pair graded I color. I got the stones just the other day and they are beautiful in terms of shape and cut, but I''m afraid they are a bit too yellow.
8.gif
So it looks like I may be on the hunt again.

What I''m wondering is should I be looking for G colored stones instead...or if this is just a case of a generous color grade given to the uncerted stones. I compared these I colored pears next to my AGS 0 J colored round diamond studs and even the studs looked much whiter.

Do pears show color face up more easily than rounds? I know everyone is going to say let the maker of the ring pick the stones for me, but my budget doesn''t allow for this.

Thanks!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cpster,

It''s my understanding that all fancies show more color than a well cut round.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes pears can show more colour than fancies. I have a 2 ct GIA certed pear which is an H and although it is very white, you can see a hint of tint at the tip in some lights looking at it closely. However with the pears being small sidestones it might not be a problem, but maybe trying to find G colours might be an idea to be safe. An H pear is still very white to me though even in a larger diamond, it is just the tip..I would tend to listen to Garry's advice about these shapes showing more colour as he sees plenty of diamonds in his work.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an H round flanked by H pears. I wish I had gotten G pears because I can definitely see more warmth in the pears than in the round. I''m betting that only I can tell the difference though, because I scrutinize this ring from 1 inch away on a daily basis. If a person was just looking at it casually or even holding it up kinda close, they probably wouldn''t even notice (unless it was a fellow obssessive PSer, of course).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 10:26:24 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I have an H round flanked by H pears. I wish I had gotten G pears because I can definitely see more warmth in the pears than in the round. I''m betting that only I can tell the difference though, because I scrutinize this ring from 1 inch away on a daily basis. If a person was just looking at it casually or even holding it up kinda close, they probably wouldn''t even notice (unless it was a fellow obssessive PSer, of course).

kristy, did leon suggest or offer g pears when he was doing your setting? i''m toying of the idea of setting my stone the same way and just figured I''d go with G pears to match my G stone (which could be a low G since it was graded and H by AGS 6 years ago.) Do you think I should go with F pears? of course the pears I''d use would be a lot smaller than yours
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the tips of the pears can show more color than a round will.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nearly evrey fancy shape concentrates color in one or more zones. A lot of this depends on the cutting style of the individual diamond. Just like bow ties in some fancy shapes ar more or less visible, color is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results