shape
carat
color
clarity

DO I still have to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thomasjelder

Rough_Rock
Put my credit card down and a had a settig mounted for a ring that, of course, I am not sure is a goo deal now.

Princess Cut
Color: E
Clarity SI1
Weight 1 Carot
Almost perfect square in size.

I just don''t feel right about the seller or the diamond, low sparkle, high price, $5750.

Any Help here, Am I binded at all or can I walk away after the stone has been set?

Thanks,
CH

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ask the vendor about their store policy. What did it say on your recipt? Was the setting custom or stock? I doubt you will walk away without paying anything. Talk to the sales person you worked with and try to work something out. If that does not work, come back and post what they tell you. HTH.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what''s the sellers return policy?

thomasjelder

Rough_Rock
Thats just it, I have not paid for anything as of yet. I told him that I would pay in cash upon return. I received nothing in writing which is why I feel weird about the whole thing. Any word on the price? He kept telling me you pay more for a perfect square pricess diamond, rather than a more rectangular shaped.

HELP!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would suggest contacting the vendor and asking them. Tell them you have reconsidered and want to know your options..it''s odd they haven''t taken any $$ up front for a custom job. You may just have to pay the restocking fee for the stock piece if that is what you bought..it really depends on the companies return/cancellation policy.

as for price...i did a quick search here and most stones with the same specs as yours are running between 4-5K..

thomasjelder

Rough_Rock
Well, for the ring and the mounting and the setting was stock (Platinum) the price was $5750. I think I may be hesitating becuase I have never made a purchase this large before. But...I don't know I feel like I have done so much research and then there just seems like there is just SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!!

Maybe I'm just bummed becuase I have finally made a decision and now there is no more looking!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Does the stone come with a report? If so, from what lab? That will greatly affect how much the market value of the stone is.

For example, this 1 carat E SI1 with an AGS report and cut analysis costs $5k. However, this 1.01 E SI1 with an EGL report and no cut info costs less than $4k. This 1.08 D SI1 with a GIA report and cut info costs $5146.

From your description of low sparkle for a high price, it doesn''t sound to me like the price is justified. You can find a well cut princess for that price, so I would keep looking.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
no cash down and nothing in writing of course you dont have to buy.
if you dont want it and feel pressured into that one then move on and find a different jeweler.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Seems like you should be able to return it. If you''re not completely in love with it I wouldn''t buy it, that''s a lot of $$$ to be just lukewarm about the stone just my thoughts. Have you checked out any PS recommended vendors GOG, WF, ERD? So much good press on them here from satisfied customers it might be worth a look...
2.gif
I''m going with one of them for my ering.

thomasjelder

Rough_Rock
My concern is that the stone has been mounted in a "Cathedral" Platinum setting. And no, I have put nothing down. But he has my CC number. Couldn''t he charge me for mounting etc.?

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
You really need to find the return policy. If it''s a prefab setting they may not charge (not sure though). I know on custom pieces you are almost always out the cost of the setting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don''t have to buy it, you said it was a stock setting. My hunch is that you are nervous about such a big purchase. That happens all the time. Perhaps you need more time to see other stones and do more research. But if you love the stone and feel comfortable that it''s the one then go ahead and get it. But from reading what you have said, I get the feeling that you aren''t there yet. I could be wrong but that''s the feeling I get. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2005 1:25:10 PM
Author: thomasjelder

He kept telling me you pay more for a perfect square princess diamond, rather than a more rectangular shaped.

True enough, those called 'rectangular' on lab reports (for GIA, that starts over 1.05:1 length / width) are a bit discounted. But brilliance matters more than that, IMO. At GIA's threshold, one would be hard pressed to see the non-squareness, especially if the stone is not huge. If 1:1 just happens, that doesn't have as much visual impact as brilliance - and this is the first time I hear this argument for a premium charged for cut quality. There's allot more to it.

The other grades you chose are allot higher than the point when color or clarity features become visible.

I surely hope either the seller's common sense or their return policy allows you to get what you want. I'd also make sure to change sellers, not just diamonds at this point. If these guys do not do cut grading (and that is where the brilliance part is considered), they may not start just for your purchase.

I don't know the seller or the stone, of course. This is just my 0.2 worth based on your post.
38.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
My question is why did you give the jeweler your CC? Sounds like it was as some type of security that you would complete the transaction. Was it? Or does he have your CC number for some other reason that is completely unrelated to this transaction?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results