color
clarity

Do I fire "my ring guy" ?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
oops! double post!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
If your jeweler is using quality sapphires and melee in the setting then I think that he is selling it for a very fair price. Would he allow you to purchase his setting and set a diamond you purchase elsewhere? It makes sense that you would want to see the diamond before you purchased it and had it set, so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about expressing this to him. Most jewelers though will not insure a diamond that wasn't purchased from them while they set the stone though. This is easy to work around though, because you will want to insure the diamond anyway and Jewelers Mutual will cover the stone during the setting process, however there are very few others that will. I really don't think that you can have this ring made for less than $1100. I'd be surprised if you can find a comparable setting for the same price. If you really love this setting and think that it's perfect for her, then I would purchase my diamond elsewhere and have your jeweler set it, or I would call him back and insist that you will only purchase GIA EX or AGS0 stones. He likely has access to many of the stones on the virtual lists of online vendors.

Here's an idea. Contact him, tell him that you've given it some thought and that you are uncomfortable buying a stone you haven't seen, without having access to additional images. And then ask him if you found a stone that you loved somewhere else, would he have the ability to call it in for you. You then have some power because you will know what an online vendor would sell you the stone for and can negotiate the price with your jeweler. I wish Gypsy were around right now, she is incredible in these types of situations. If I see her around I'll ask her to read through your thread. =)

mrfungi

Rough_Rock
You pretty much summed it up and think everyone already pointed you in the right direction. I was in a similar situation with a friend's family jeweler. That was until I found PS and started doing my hw. This "family friend" ended up finding me a diamond which he thought was amazing and gave me an "amazing deal" I found the same exact diamond online for over a thousand less and found WAY better diamonds for the same price without tax.

A couple posters found similar settings for you, so I would go that route. You could always get it custom made through reputable vendors here (ERD makes some great & affordable custom pieces as well as other vendors too!) The money you'd save on taxes could be used towards a custom setting or larger diamond.

just my two cents, but really I think you know which way to go and either way everyone here on PS will be in your corner! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results