shape
carat
color
clarity

do any diamonds look white in all lighting situations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockies

Rough_Rock
Hi. Another question from a newbie....Are there any diamonds that look nice and white in all types of lighting? From what I''ve picked up on this board, ideal cut diamonds can look dark in direct light, while stones with less-than-ideal cuts can look whiter in direct light but darker in diffuse lighting. Are there any diamonds that won''t get a dark look at some point?

My diamond looks crazy white and sparkly white in stores, but goes dark but blindingly firey in direct beams of light. I am just wondering whether this is normal, or whether I missed out on something during the buying process. Thanks!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
it sounds like an ideal cut to me kinda phenomenon...sometimes my diamond is white and bright all over and then other times it''s almost translucent and i can see the facets and then other times its dark and fiery inside (aka bright sunlight or similar) with colors. so much fun!!

i used to have a non-ideal cut diamond, white brilliant kind of cut and it looked white and bright in way too many situations for me, hardly ever got the dark fire thing going on. i love the ideal cuts for sure.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a little off topic, but lighting and the color of the walls seems to affect the color of my diamond. I have yellow walls in my house and non-white lights and even my F diamond will look yellow sometimes. It seems to pick up whatever color it is exposed to in the room.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 12:59:13 AM
Author: kcoursolle
This is a little off topic, but lighting and the color of the walls seems to affect the color of my diamond. I have yellow walls in my house and non-white lights and even my F diamond will look yellow sometimes. It seems to pick up whatever color it is exposed to in the room.
yep that is what I was going to add...
blue light blue looking diamond.. yellow light yellow looking diamond...red light....

A super-ideal cut round diamond will look better in a wider range of lighting than a poor cut round diamond.

Rockies

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''m sitting in a room with really red walls and my rock looks pinkish!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color thing is an important one to realize...many people think ''omigosh, my stone looks yellow'' but it''s just reflecting color off the walls or the lights, etc. Or for fancy cut owners, thinking their stone has a big noticeable bowtie when they''re looking at it while wearing a black shirt.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 12:45:08 AM
Author:Rockies
Hi. Another question from a newbie....Are there any diamonds that look nice and white in all types of lighting? From what I''ve picked up on this board, ideal cut diamonds can look dark in direct light, while stones with less-than-ideal cuts can look whiter in direct light but darker in diffuse lighting. Are there any diamonds that won''t get a dark look at some point?

My diamond looks crazy white and sparkly white in stores, but goes dark but blindingly firey in direct beams of light. I am just wondering whether this is normal, or whether I missed out on something during the buying process. Thanks!
1.gif
sounds like a normal ideal cut. enjoy your diamond!
36.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
My OEC does the same thing and I love it! I always thought it was a function of the contrast with the light/fire coming out at the eye. Is that right?

Bluehammer

Shiny_Rock
The diamond I bought ended up looking "white" in all light conditions. It is an F (which helps a little) and is a WF ACA. The cut is what gives it the always on type of look. I was comparing it to an H that was a good stone too, but did get dark in direct sun. I think the H had more noticeable fire because of the contrast, but the F was the all around winner.

I think I might buy something similar to the H in the future so that I can give my girl several stones that display different visual qualities.

10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results