shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with my ring :(

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allie: Don't be torn-you know it will bother you if you don't get a replacement. There isn't ANYTHING wrong with sending it back and finding *your* diamond. Don't be torn-this one is beautiful but it's beautiful for *someone* else-and that's okay! It will just be a little while until you find *your* diamond. HUGS!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Disappointed with IDJ :(

vintagelover229|1328322257|3118666 said:
Allie: Don't be torn-you know it will bother you if you don't get a replacement. There isn't ANYTHING wrong with sending it back and finding *your* diamond. Don't be torn-this one is beautiful but it's beautiful for *someone* else-and that's okay! It will just be a little while until you find *your* diamond. HUGS!
I agree with this; if you are torn then it probably isn't for you. I hope they have another option for you!!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

thanks ladies I packed it up to go back tomorrow. le sigh... :(sad

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328322543|3118669 said:

Allie, hang in there, the perfect one for you will pop up!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Skippy|1328322744|3118672 said:

Allie, hang in there, the perfect one for you will pop up!!

It takes tiiime when you want something hard to find.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aw I'm sorry Allie - being disappointed feels really lousy, but hang in there - you'll feel better in a day or two and I'm confident that you'll find a stone that's right for you! You made the right call - if you noticed those inclusions right away and they bothered you right off the bat, they'd only continue to bug you. Hugs and try not to be too down, things will get better!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I missed the "torn" comment. I have been in your shoes trying to stretch my budget to meet my wants. I usually felt "torn" when I was stretching too far, knowing that I would likely need to make a sacrifice I did not want to make (in clarity or color in my case) to get the size I wanted for the budget I wanted. After all my changes, I really think it is better to save and get what you *really* want. Then you don't feel torn becaue there is no compromise.

Keep looking and see what comes up, then you can make a more informed choice for yourself.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D|1328344141|3118808 said:
I missed the "torn" comment. I have been in your shoes trying to stretch my budget to meet my wants. I usually felt "torn" when I was stretching too far, knowing that I would likely need to make a sacrifice I did not want to make (in clarity or color in my case) to get the size I wanted for the budget I wanted. After all my changes, I really think it is better to save and get what you *really* want. Then you don't feel torn becaue there is no compromise.

Keep looking and see what comes up, then you can make a more informed choice for yourself.

I know, but Yuketiel promised and seemed VERY confident that he will hand pick a stone that I will love. Honestly, the inclusions wouldn't bother me so much had they not been directly under the table.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock

If I were unhappy with the stone, I definitely would send it back. I would find myself aggravated every time I looked at it. Further, I find it troubling that if had he known you were a Pricescoper the situation would be different. Why should it matter whether you are a Pricescoper or not? Somebody is still paying thousands of dollars for a stone (and in some cases as a Pricescoper you may even be getting a discount). Because someone is a Pricescoper and might be more educated about diamonds, he has to be a little more careful? He should be an advocate for all of his customers.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Meezermom|1328360762|3118858 said:
If I were unhappy with the stone, I definitely would send it back. I would find myself aggravated every time I looked at it. Further, I find it troubling that if had he known you were a Pricescoper the situation would be different. Why should it matter whether you are a Pricescoper or not? Somebody is still paying thousands of dollars for a stone (and in some cases as a Pricescoper you may even be getting a discount). Because someone is a Pricescoper and might be more educated about diamonds, he has to be a little more careful? He should be an advocate for all of his customers.

I totally agree with this point. I also find it a bit disturbing that you have to mention you are a PSer to get a great diamond/deal. All their customers should get the best treatment possible. That is a good business model IMO.

Hope you get the diamond of your dreams Allie and this will be a distant memory.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy said:

I totally agree with this point. I also find it a bit disturbing that you have to mention you are a PSer to get a great diamond/deal. All their customers should get the best treatment possible. That is a good business model IMO.

Hope you get the diamond of your dreams Allie and this will be a distant memory.

I want to chime in here since I think we might be misunderstanding what "being a PSer" means to a vendor.

MANY MANY MANY people just want a beautiful and sparkling diamond-and aren't nearly as "picky" as to that standard as PSers are. When you state that you are a PSer it means they need to check a few extra boxes that a "normal" woman wouldn't usually have. If everyone was PSer mall stores would have gone out of business-there would be no I2 or carbon spotted stones probably at all-every diamond would be ideal cut-and this is NOT the case. Most women see a diamond and just love it since it's a diamond-they have NO idea about the importance of cut-nor do the little birth marks bother them. They feel it adds character.

The ones that do usually grew up in the business, work in the business or have it as a hobby OR have come to PS to educate themselves on the subject since it's such a very expensive one time purchase for most people.

I believe what telling a vendor that you are a PSer means is that the standard that you expect in the quality is of the NEXT level-that you are aware of these types of things and that they will bother you and take some of the beauty of the stone away for them.

That stone is a VERY beautiful stone and MANY women upon receiving it would be THRILLED to have such a sparkler and wouldn't think any different about a few inclusions. My gf husband dropped 5k on her ring at Jared about 5 years ago and got a very beautiful and very sparkling diamond ring-SHE LOVES IT. The first thing I noticed (before he even proposed) was that it wasn't eye clean (at least to me) but it did sparkle like mad but I could clearly have gotten him "better" by MY standards with that type of budget (especially back then and though a different vendor). However she loves it-and every other person she shows it to comments on how beautiful and how huge and how much it sparkles. It really IS a beautiful diamond.

People come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Each and every one of them unique and different and equally as beautiful. The same goes for diamonds. They come in all shapes, sizes, cuts and colors and IMO while some of them (diamonds-not people) to my eyes are worth more and are more valuable there is a person out there who will love it just as much as the millionairess loves her one of a custom gemstone.

I don't think by stating that you are a PSer means that they are going to give you a better diamond-but I think it says they are going to find a more suitable diamond for that particular person and saying PSer has a certain standard (although even on the boards its vastily different. I'm sorry for the strange analogy-but I just wanted to say that it *could* be seen as something different than *sub-par*

I hope I was clear :loopy:

winternight

Brilliant_Rock

I agree that it isn't fair to old IDJ to some higher standard for all customers --- sorry but his site emphasizes a good value for the money and I would guess that most shoppers there are very price conscious, more so than cut, or inclusion, or otherwise. I'm not even sure what educating would mean? Some people here love lower colors, others don't. So what is "right?" Even with cut people have differing opinions.

I think taken to an extreme it would be not selling any very good cut stones or stones without certs given the emphasis here on them, or any stones whose numbers don't score well. That just isn't a workable business model and not what many people want. I for one, chose to go get less perfectly cut diamonds for huggies once because I didn't see a difference betwen those diamonds and the better cut ones - well except that they were cheaper and I got more diamonds for my money.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

re: being torn... I have been that way in the past when I really really want something to be what I wanted, but it just isn't. Esp if it seems like a 'great deal', then you want to think that you can make it work, but usually in your heart you know that it's not EXACTLY what you want. It may take a little while and some patience, but you will most likely find something that works better.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

winternight|1328238856|3117988 said:
Yes I can see it.

With GOG felt lied to - it was so ridiculous just tell me what the problems are and let me make an informed decision. I also loathe going to the post office and had to make two trips to mail the item back (the post office in the city is a mess...)

Hi winternight,

In your post above you state you feel that we lied to you, insinuating that GOG lies to its clients to make a sale. When during your transaction with us do you think we were lying to you?

Regards,
Jonathan

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1328361525|3118865 said:

This (and the tread title) is another example of how harsh and unforgiving PS can be to PS vendors.
The community here is so varied that someone will find fault with anything they say.

I find it sad how this prevailing PS code of "only say nice things" often does not include vendors.
Vendors have much more to lose than you or I, and unfair criticism on the Internet can cost them many sales to lurkers.
Plus here on PS vendors can't really respond in kind because of PS rules and vendors must tread with caution so the anti-vendor lynch mob isn't riled up.
It is like there is an understanding that since they make their living selling the thing we all love all gloves are off when talking about them. :nono:

I imagine Yekutiel right now, throwing up his hands and saying...
Jeez ladies, I just can't win.
Dammed if you don't.
Dammed if you do.

And now Jonathan at GOG is accused of lying about eye-cleanness? :angryfire: GRRR!

It's not vendor's fault you folks expect what is a gray area since people's vision varies - large eye-clean (to YOU) stones with low clarity grades.
Instead of bashing the vendor, here's the solution:
1. Pay more for a higher clarity grade
2. Get a smaller stone
3. Go down in color

Rolling the dice and hoping for a one in a million eye-clean stone with a low clarity grade is gambling, and you don't get to cry when you gamble and lose.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

Kenny, I have already explained why I posted and I have been in touch with Yuketiel and plan to update everyone when all is said and done.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328378376|3119008 said:
Kenny, I have already explained why I posted and I have been in touch with Yuketiel and plan to update everyone when all is said and done.

Yet your damaging thread title will live on forever in Google searches by shoppers.
Many will not bother carefully reading this long thread.
Some people are in a hurry and just scan thread titles that come up to judge whether they should do business with a vendor.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree Kenny-the customer service that PS vendors give already is above and beyond what is the "norm" in the jewelery trade. Just google any mall store (or even online vendor that isn't PS backed) and you can see how horrible many of the experiences have been for them.

In the case of full disclosure-there was a thread started by winternight stated fancy yellow with carbon spots-so the inclusions were well disclosed prior to the sale. (btw winternight nothing wrong with returning it if it wasn't what you were looking for). In this case as with the IDJ case it's the definition of EYE CLEAN again-which we all know to be VERY VERY subjective on an individual basis.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellow-with-carbon-spots.170568/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellow-with-carbon-spots.170568/[/URL]

When I was working with GOG years ago to buy not only my cushette (SI1) and then upgraded to my AVC (SI2) he knew FULL well that I didn't want ANY inclusions at ANY inches. Meaning I was going to look at that baby from every angel-in every light-trying to find an inclusion and that was MY definition of eye clean. Needless to say he pulled though and I never found the inclusions. I also NEVER allowed myself to loupe those stones so I didn't know where they were on the table (other than the report) so I wouldn't happen to suddenly "find" them with my eye (which I never did). I now own a VVS1 (actually I think is flawless but no report so I can't be certain) and I loupe it all the time since I love seeing it under magnification and I'm in awe of how clean it is-I just think it's so cool!

This thread just goes to show once again that eye clean is a case by case basis. If you have 15/20 vision you might need a VS1 or VS2-if you can't see crap close up you might be good with a well cut I1.

There is NOTHING wrong with sending something back since it wasn't what you had hoped. Just please remember that there are reputations at stake here that go far beyond one diamond purchase-there are tons of lurkers each year that snatch up stones people are considering and never once post about it. And both GOG and IDJ work VERY VERY hard and making every customer happy-no matter what their expectations are in a stone.

And winter/allie: This isn't against either of you-it's just good info for ALL of us to tread carefully. These vendors work hard and have good reputations and it only takes one bad apple to lose sales. It happened once a while back to one very well respected vendor after some company changes were made-and man oh man-the out cry of PSers could be felt I'm sure-for a very long time (which btw this wasn't a case of eye clean-so it's not apples to apples but PSers sometimes have more power than people realize-which I don't think is always fair to the vendors/parties involved). It's good on one hand and bad on another.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1328377845|3119005 said:
missy|1328361525|3118865 said:

This (and the tread title) is another example of how harsh and unforgiving PS can be to PS vendors.
The community here is so varied that someone will find fault with anything they say.

I find it sad how this prevailing PS code of "only say nice things" often does not include vendors.
Vendors have much more to lose than you or I, and unfair criticism on the Internet can cost them many sales to lurkers.
Plus here on PS vendors can't really respond in kind because of PS rules and vendors must tread with caution so the anti-vendor lynch mob isn't riled up.
It is like there is an understanding that since they make their living selling the thing we all love all gloves are off when talking about them. :nono:

I imagine Yekutiel right now, throwing up his hands and saying...
Jeez ladies, I just can't win.
Dammed if you don't.
Dammed if you do.

And now Jonathan at GOG is accused of lying. :angryfire: GRRR!

It's not vendor's fault you folks want what is at best gray area when people's vision varies - large eye clean stones with low clarity grades.

I agree with you Kenny - in hindsight, it might have been better if Yekutiel didn't mention the part of being a ps'er in his post ONLY BECAUSE I knew a few people would jump on it and find fault - and the entire good will of his post would be lost. And that's basically what happened.

In the case of winternight - she knew the stone was I1, she knew she was taking a bit of a chance - then to come back and malign a vendor in someone else's thread - come on, let's be fair.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't realize this forum was only to post rainbows, unicorns and bunnies. Are we only allowed to sing praises? Bottom line when I asked about this diamond my first question was "is it eye clean?" I was told yes. Before It was set I sent another email and said "just to make sure that the stone is truly eye clean" and was told yes COMPLETELY eye clean. So you bet I was disappointed that it wasnt eye clean when it arrived. If you don't have perfect vision then you shouldnt be the final confirmation on the eye cleanliness of stones. If I was told that under certain lightning conditions you can see the inclusions from about 6 inches away I would have thought twice about setting it but at least my expectations would have been different. I am glad that IDJ is standing up and taking care of their customers which is the right thing to do.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

AllieLuv83|1328352580|3118815 said:
Dreamer_D|1328344141|3118808 said:

I know, but Yuketiel promised and seemed VERY confident that he will hand pick a stone that I will love. Honestly, the inclusions wouldn't bother me so much had they not been directly under the table.

I hear you on that. I have also learned I don't much care about white inclusions at the outer edge of the stone, but not table inclusions! I hope he comes through, I will be very impressed.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328380490|3119031 said:
I didn't realize this forum was only to post rainbows, unicorns and bunnies. Are we only allowed to sing praises? Bottom line when I asked about this diamond my first question was "is it eye clean?" I was told yes. Before It was set I sent another email and said "just to make sure that the stone is truly eye clean" and was told yes COMPLETELY eye clean. So you bet I was disappointed that it wasnt eye clean when it arrived. If you don't have perfect vision then you shouldnt be the final confirmation on the eye cleanliness of stones. If I was told that under certain lightning conditions you can see the inclusions from about 6 inches away I would have thought twice about setting it but at least my expectations would have been different. I am glad that IDJ is standing up and taking care of their customers which is the right thing to do.

Allie, I just want to say that my prior post was not a criticism of you - I agree that you received the stone with the belief that it was eyeclean and in your heart you really thought it would be - and you posted because you were feeling very disappointed and let down, and I can understand that. My reference to your situation was more of a response of the criticism Yekutiel was getting from some posters because he mentioned he wouldn't have sent the stone if he knew you were a PS'er. I felt the good will of his post was being ignored because of that statement.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

And junebug my response was to Kenny!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AllieLuv83|1328383851|3119062 said:
And junebug my response was to Kenny!

Oh ok, thanks Allie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not much else to add here, bottom line...

Allie, you are not going to get a nice 1.5 ct. stone for $5000. It will be challenging to find a nice 1 ct. stone for $5000. This wasn't IDJ's fault.

In addition, I seriously have a problem with GOG being accused of lying when an I1 turned out to not be eyeclean enough for them! That is absurd. As Kenny said, :nono: :angryfire:

EXPECT the possibility than ANY stone below VS2 may not be eyeclean enough to YOUR EYES regardless what the vendor says. You are accepting the risk when you want to have a lower clarity stone sent to you. I have ordered stones and sent them back. I even sent back a VS2 one time because I didn't like the inclusions. I got an ACA that was VS2 that had a visible carbon spot from the side but kept it because it was for an earring.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I did NOT pay $5000 for this ring...like I already said. I didn't pay $15,000 either but I certainly didn't pay $5000.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry...I thought I read that on this thread (re:$5k). I apologize!

(I looked back and it was mentioned by someone in a post on page 1, but you didn't correct it there. That is why I thought that.)

It looks like on the virtual stones that you can get an I SI1 GIA Ex cut for around $10,000 and there weren't any J SI1's, but they should run a little less. So $9000-10,000 is a pretty realistic budget for a 1.5 that is eyeclean and lower end of near colorless.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock

I am going to give yuketiel a chance to deliver on his promos of finding me a stone that I would love before I start looking elsewhere.
I corrected them on page 2. I have full faith in IDJ and the fact that they will find me exactly what I am looking for! If not then I will start my search over again!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Allie what did you pay for this diamond? You are being coy about it and this is RT and in my opinion, price matters because it affects how people should interpret this situation. I assumed $5k because that was your budget when you were looking on ebay and in previous threads. Also, another reader might want to buy that diamond ;))

On another topic, of course IDJ has different standards for different clientel. That is smart business. The stone is eye clean for most people. And in fact, if I am reading Allie's most recent post correctly, it is eye clean by vendor's standards too. Only seeing inclusions in some lighting at 6 inches is the definition of eye clean. Allie is not at fault that she was not aware of the technical definition of eye clean before she bought this diamond and saw it. But equally, IDJ is not at fault that they could not read her mind and inuit what her own personal defintion of eye clean would be. Vendors are not mind readers, and they need to decide where to set their own internal bar concerning how they communicate about eye cleanliness to consumers. I have no doubt at all that the bar set by IDJ for eye cleanliness is more than adequate for most consumers -- most people would be gloriously happy with a diamond that cost significantly less than general market values and looked like that. Telling them you are a PSer just means they can say "OK, this person is not *most consumers*, lets use a different bar." That does not mean they sell crap to non-PSers. It means they are pickier for us picky people. I don't have a problem with that.

And I think you can surely complain about your experience Allie. But a more realistic title that does not paint the vendor in a light that is unfair would have been: "Disappointed with my EGL SI1 diamond".

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

And for the record, I do not own anything from IDJ or GOG, I don't have a horse in the race so to speak.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results