shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed in ring.. diamond looks yellow:( is it just me?

fruxo

Shiny_Rock
Hey.

Received my engagement ring today (I'm the boyfriend, have not given it to her yet) and I was very disappointed. I'll admit my expectations were through the roof, so I suppose not being fully as amazing as I expected might have been inevitable. This is also the first diamond I've ever bought and it was bought online, so I don't have much to compare it with.

Anyway, there was a few things actually, but one thing that by far overshadowed all the other; the color. The diamond is an 1.57ct H color pear in a halo with f/g colored melee (1 pointers I think), set in a platinum band. It is GIA certified and supposedly an excellent cut (pears are not graded by GIA). I know it might be hard to advise me without any pictures, but I don't want to upload any (yet) in case my girlfriend finds them. Besides, it's a little hard to see on the pictures (the color looked fine on the professional pictures from the vendor for example). It is custom made and bought from overseas (ie I don't live in the US), so sending it back would not be an option regardless.

Not really sure where I'm going with this thread, but I guess it would be interesting to hear your input on these things as I don't have much to compare with. I will bring the ring to local stores on the weekend to compare it to other rings and hopefully I'll feel better, but I'm terrified that it will just confirm that the stone does indeed look yellow and it is not just me. Initially I was not going to go as low as H, but after having problems finding anything I eventually lowered my minimum color. I've obviously done a lot of research online as we don't have much in terms of local stores with quality diamonds and came to the conclusion that an H color should be fine. I also voiced my concerns to the vendor, who told my that it would face up perfectly white and not to worry about it.. so I tried not to.
We don't have many local stores with decent diamonds, but there is one that we went to earlier when looking. They had a loose D and G pear diamond that she compared next to each other and even though I (eventually) could tell the difference, I had to look very closely and it was a very small difference. People also say that diamonds look more yellow when loose then when set in a ring.

So why was the color the first thing (and only thing really) I saw when I opened the box? Is it because it is surrounded by a halo? Or maybe this is just how bigger diamonds look like? Remember someone saying that a halo will always look brighter even with an excellent cut main stone in same or better color, so maybe a D would have had a yellow tinge to my eyes too simply because of how it is set? I've only seen diamonds in stores (with excellent lightning) and online, so maybe I just don't understand how diamonds are supposed to look like.

Alright, so I'll stop rambling now ;-) I know this isn't the most structured post, but any input is appreciated, whether it's to reassure me that this is just how diamonds looks like or to tell me I'm an idiot for expecting an H color to not look yellow.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Disappointed in ring.. diamond looks yellow:( is it just

I think it is the contrast from the halo to the stone that is what you are seeing. And I actually like that because it indicates to me that it is a real diamond and not a fake! Because fakes are most often totally colorless! I would stop worrying. We need pictures, though!

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1333458643|3162375 said:
I think it is the contrast from the halo to the stone that is what you are seeing. And I actually like that because it indicates to me that it is a real diamond and not a fake! Because fakes are most often totally colorless! I would stop worrying. We need pictures, though!
Yeah, that's the word I was looking for, maybe it is just the contrast which might have been there regardless of color. That's what I'm hoping anyway, but will be hard to tell until I can compare to other halo diamonds. I have not noticed such a big contrast in diamonds in the local stores though, but maybe it is the lightning of the stores hiding it. Pictures won't be coming until the weekend, sorry.

EDIT: lit the ring up with my phone flash LED, and it went from quite dark and dull looking to very nice and sparkly. So maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing, at least that's what I'm trying to tell myself. Will be interesting to see it out in day light. Heading to bed now, but please keep input coming.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No other lighting is really comparable to jewelry store lighting, unfortunately. That's why when people here tell someone to go to jewelry stores to compare colors to see what they prefer, I say it is useless unless the diamond seller will take the stones outside into natural daylight. A stone's color can be greatly affected by not only the lighting, but also by things like the wall color.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1333461593|3162404 said:
No other lighting is really comparable to jewelry store lighting, unfortunately. That's why when people here tell someone to go to jewelry stores to compare colors to see what they prefer, I say it is useless unless the diamond seller will take the stones outside into natural daylight. A stone's color can be greatly affected by not only the lighting, but also by things like the wall color.

This, or even the shirt you were wearing when you looked at it. Also, fancy cuts show more body color than round brilliants. Although I see that you looked at a G pear...I think that perhaps you are extremely color-sensitive?

The most helpful thing for us would be pictures taken by you in natural light and ordinary indoor lighting...not jewelry store lighting.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

fruxo,

I have a J oval and it's pretty white under most light. It never looks yellow, though, just a slight champagne color. I definitely prefer the warmer colors to the icy white so I like the color of my J, but it is a preference and some people prefer the more colorless color.

Even if you got melee that's the same color as the center diamond (or a center diamond that's the same color as the melee), they wouldn't look the same.

I think you'll be okay!

liz

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

An H color pear will likely show some slight bodt color. I doubt "yellow", but it would look a little warmer than a D-F I estimate. I have also found that melee size diamonds highlight body tint in the main stone. Neither of these is a bad thing. Honestly, if you are seeing "yellow" I suspect it is a reflection from the environment! Diamonds have LIFE and reflect things around them and change all the time. It takes getting used to when you expect a dull lifeless white blob like most diamonds out there look ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
An H color pear will likely show some slight bodt color. I doubt "yellow", but it would look a little warmer than a D-F I estimate. I have also found that melee size diamonds highlight body tint in the main stone. Neither of these is a bad thing. Honestly, if you are seeing "yellow" I suspect it is a reflection from the environment! Diamonds have LIFE and reflect things around them and change all the time. It takes getting used to when you expect a dull lifeless white blob like most diamonds out there look ;))
completely agree with this entire post DD :)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

This is normal and probably the lighting. I completely understand where you're coming from. I freaked out earlier this week when I got my unset diamond, because I looked at it at work - in the worst lighting imaginable. Since then, I took it out on field trips to see daylight, mall lighting, jewelry store lighting, etc and it's as beautiful as in the pictures. I even found different fluorescent lighting and it looked awesome, but it continues to look like it is dark or has body color in my office (beige ceilings, horrible lights) - but it's an icy white E (seriously white)! It looks icy white in all other lighting. I think I also had unrealistic expectations of a diamond based on jewelry store lighting. When I compared to a coworkers diamond and my well cut CZ in the office lighting, it showed that it was the lighting that was the issue not the diamond.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

yeah- it's really hard when you see the beautiful vendor photos, and your expectations are who knows where after that.

I had some worries about how my stone was going to look once set (it's an H MRB), but it all turned out ok. I'm wondering if whether the stone was set high or low has anything to do with how you are viewing the color of it now? But also, as people have said, the melee stones are usually very white in comparison to the center, and I bet the contrast is taking some getting used to and stones do reflect a lot of coloring from their surroundings as everyone has mentioned.

I'd say the best thing to do is look at it in as many situations as you can and see how it may change so you can tell if it was the lighting or clothing or something else.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's just that you're comparing it to the color of the halo. Mine does the same thing, (EGL USA F, so probably an H too!). Have you brought it outside? Mine looks very white in most conditions, but looks darker when I take photos with flash, as the little tiny halo melee glows.

Either way, if you're unable to ship it back to the US, I would focus on the beauty of it :wink2: and how honkin' big it'll be on your soon to be FI's fingers! Please post pics asap when she receives it! I loveeee love love pear halos!

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now. It's been hidden away so I won't be able to view it again until tomorrow (day of proposal). It's a shame that I will be proposing under these bad lightning conditions though, kind of wish I could do it out in the sun now, but too late to change plans.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

How about adding some candlelight to the mix, so that you really emphasize the fire in the diamonds? :) Good luck! And bring back hand shots!!!

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock

I can't speak for other women, but if a guy proposed to me, all I'd really see is a sparkly ring in a box and say "yes." The closer inspection of the ring might come later, but I certainly wouldn't inspect the ring closely before accepting the proposal.

I hope it all goes well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fruxo, I have a GIA F diamond and in some light my halo looks whiter. It's strange but true. It's because of the way the smaller facets of the halo fire light as opposed to the way the center diamond (which is bigger and has larger facets) reflects light.

It's not yellow. A H might be a tiny bit warm in some light and in some environments but what you are really seeing is the difference in light performance styles rather than color.

I enjoy that difference. It's what keeps my ring from looking like a cluster ring, and keeps it looking like a center stone with a halo.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

webdiva said:
How about adding some candlelight to the mix, so that you really emphasize the fire in the diamonds? :) Good luck! And bring back hand shots!!!

I think this is a great suggestion! And I think the others are right, what you are seeing is normal and your diamond isn't "yellow". I'm sure its beautiful and we can't wait to see pics! Good luck with your proposal :appl:

fruxo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks again for all the reassurances.

After looking at the ring extensively, especially once it was on my fiancees finger, it is really quite spectacular. In most lightning/environments it looks perfectly white and super sparkly, and even in worst cases it still just looks a little warm and is still beautiful. So yeah, sorry for freaking out for nothing ;-)

Pictures are coming soon.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

No worries! We all do it! :) Glad you're happy with - can't wait for hand pics! :)

AtomicLush

Rough_Rock

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but are you sure you have the right stone? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? Did you get the stone/ring appraised yet? GIA certified H's shouldn't be *THAT* yellow unless you are that sensitive to color. If you have the right stone, maybe your eyes are a little bit more sensitive than others. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

AtomicLush|1333684128|3164707 said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but are you sure you have the right stone? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? Did you get the stone/ring appraised yet? GIA certified H's shouldn't be *THAT* yellow unless you are that sensitive to color. If you have the right stone, maybe your eyes are a little bit more sensitive than others. :)

The stone is a GIA stone from BGD with amazing light return and performance. We didn't ask because we've been watching the journey and saw the stone selection thread and it's a pear, so it's hard to get them mixed up with one another (the measurements would give them away easily even if there wasn't an inscription).

And because many of us have seen this issue before with halos. Like I said, I have a GIA (high) F and F melee in my halo and you can see a contrast in some light. It's a performance issue not a color issue if the contrast is what is bothering him.

AtomicLush

Rough_Rock

Gypsy - thanks for the clarification. Did not realize there was a related thread. Carry on then. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fruxo, if it continues to bother you. You can ask BGD how difficult it would be to switch the current melee out for single cuts. The larger flashes of light will better match the performance of the center.

ETA: I doubt Brian would want to do this, for good reason. But it is an option. If not a very good one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results