shape
carat
color
clarity

disappointed about time frame for semi-custom ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isabel

Shiny_Rock
Let me give you a little background...I don''t exactly know what setting BF picked, but it was between either a modified Tiffany or a shared prong setting that was modified to put a 6-prong head on it. The Tiffany modifications were going to be extra $$, but putting a different head onto the shared prong was no charge. I *think* he went with the shared prong one.

Okay, so the setting was paid for a week ago (so 4-10-08) and the ETA was 4-24-208. I thought THAT seemed like a long amount of time. Now BF has told me that that was the best case scenario because they''re really busy. It may take until MID-MAY!!!!

Is this normal? I thought if you chose something that was barely custom it would only take a couple days more than the regular settings. The diamond was purchased at the same place...guess I had a different time-frame.
8.gif

Don''t get me wrong, I''m very happy with EVERYTHING this company has done for us...I guess it''s my fault for assuming it wouldn''t take too long to put on a different head??

avlis

Shiny_Rock
I''ll assume for a second that the jewelry business is similar to every other business. It is not about the size of your order, its about your place in line. and I imagine spring is a busy time of year for jewelry folk. People with only a carton of eggs dont get to just jump in front of the people with baskets full of groceries. custom is custom, and its only a month, whats a month in reference to the rest of your life?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
It might not be your jeweler who is backed up with work, but whoever does their benchwork...it''s still a pretty long time, however, and about 2 weeks would have seemed more reasonable...but who knows?

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 6:15:20 PM
Author: avlis
I''ll assume for a second that the jewelry business is similar to every other business. It is not about the size of your order, its about your place in line. and I imagine spring is a busy time of year for jewelry folk. People with only a carton of eggs dont get to just jump in front of the people with baskets full of groceries. custom is custom, and its only a month, whats a month in reference to the rest of your life?
I always do the polite thing and let the people with the eggs cut in front of me
12.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
April/May is a VERY busy time for jewelers--with graduation season coming up, jewelers are not only bogged down with graduation gifts but ALSO "yay we graduated! will you marry me?" engagement rings. The season probably rivals the December holidays on the busy-ness scale.

I agree with Gary that 2 weeks would seem more reasonable during a more off-time.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your boyfriend could be trying to throw you off! I wouldn''t press it just in case that''s what it is.

isabel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 6:35:16 PM
Author: LegacyGirl

Date: 4/17/2008 6:15:20 PM
Author: avlis
I always do the polite thing and let the people with the eggs cut in front of me
12.gif
My sentiments exactly!

I guess I was just wondering if this was all normal. I''m trying not to care or be let down....but it''s definately hard.

isabel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 6:30:32 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
It might not be your jeweler who is backed up with work, but whoever does their benchwork...it''s still a pretty long time, however, and about 2 weeks would have seemed more reasonable...but who knows?
Thanks Diamondexpert. Yea, 2 weeks seemed reasonable. Adding on another *potential* month is what seems so weird.

And yea, maybe he''s trying to throw me off. But that''s not really my boyfriend''s personality. I don''t think he''s thought about the proposal enough to scheme this.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Isabel, you mentioned your ring being ''barely'' custom. Alas, there isn''t really such a thing.
2.gif

Anytime you make a modification to an otherwise standard piece, it becomes custom. Why? Because jewelers can''t use the existing CADs to create that piece exactly as it''s been created before. Therefore, creating a ring that looks exactly like *this* piece but with larger or smaller melee means it has to have its CAD/wax. That''s a custom piece.

How long custom work takes really depends on who you work with. Some of the more well known ''designer'' names quote 2-3 months wait before even beginning a custom piece, with completion dates several weeks beyond that. Others take considerably less, depending on their specialties. Personally, I know we''re running a minimum of 14 business days (nearly 3 weeks) for custom pieces right now.

As Avlis pointed out, most jewelers'' completion estimates are definitely impacted by the already existing production schedule at the time you order. I agree, though, that significant pieces are definitely worth the wait.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think that is anywhere outside of the ordinary for custom work. Especially being that it is busy this time of year. Even ordering a completely stock setting and having a ring mounted is taking 2 weeks right now from many places.

But I also second what Gypsy says and DON'T press too hard. It might just be his way of trying to throw you off guard.
2.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say the same thing, maybe BF is trying to surprise you...but maybe not, that doesn''t seem like a long wait from some that I have seen. I am sure that it will all be worth it in the end.

isabel

Shiny_Rock
Yea, everything you all have said make a lot of sense...and I know all the issues with the CAD process...it''s just disappointing because I would have gone without the modifications!! I liked the ring the way it was normally!!! Oh well...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I always reckon between 3-6 weeks is realistic. Anything quicker - hooray!

Mackenzie

Rough_Rock
Hi again Isabel. I am actually deciding between those two settings exactly! I saw a Memoire shared-prong eternity setting that I absolutely fell in love with, but it only comes with a 4 prong head. The vendor said they can put a 6 prong head on it, but I am nervous about it losing its "daintyness" as the 6 prong head they showed me was very heavy looking. I would love to see what setting you end up with (especially if you get the shared prong setting with a 6 prong head!) Keep me updated!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results