shape
carat
color
clarity

Dirt Cheap Diamonds A+

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meghane

Rough_Rock
I’ve never posted here before (lurked for months) but just have to rave about my experience at Dirt Cheap Diamonds and show off my new ring!

First the story:

My hubby wanted to buy me my dream ring for our 10th anniversary but wanted me to pick it out. I selected the perfect semi-mount but needed to find the right center stone. I initially thought I wanted a 1 ct VS2 G GIA cert. within a budget of $8K. After only a little research (internet and hands on), I decided two more things: I wanted an AGS Ideal 0 cut stone and I didn’t want to pay retail for it! I started looking at online dealers and began emailing several about their stones. Most were cooperative but one company stood out among the rest -- Dirt Cheap Diamonds and Jim Schultz.

I picked a few stones from Dirt Cheap’s website (very user friendly) and asked Jim for his personal opinion. Since the stones I was interested in were from their Signature Ideal Series, Jim was able to examine each stone and give me specific details/recommendations for each one. I was surprised to find that the highest price did not always get the best marks and was impressed with Jim’s candor. After reviewing the caliber of stones that were available and based on Jim’s recommendations, I decided to decrease to SI1 quality so that I could increase to 1.25 ct and still stay in my budget. When I called Jim to tell him what I wanted (including specific dimensions), he said he’d just received the perfect stone for me and immediately sent me a pic. It was a gorgeous SI1 F AGS 0 1.24 ct for only $7200 and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Since I was very nervous about buying the stone online, I drove 3+ hours to meet with Jim and see the stone. Not only did Jim do everything in his power to make me feel comfortable with the purchase, he met with me mid-day on a Saturday. That’s customer service! The remarkable part is that I didn’t buy the SI1 that I thought was so perfect for me. Jim showed me two stones and after viewing/contrasting them in many different ways, sold me the most amazing SI2 for $1200 less! Since the two stones were almost identical in every other way and the SI2 was so clean, Jim felt it was a better value and I agreed but still can’t believe I bought an SI2! The end result is a diamond ring that has been described by those who have seen it as breathtaking, blinding, dazzling, unbelievable and even celestial (I liked that one). My experience with Dirt Cheap was so wonderful that I’ll be buying all of my diamonds from Jim and will be referring everyone I know who’s looking for diamonds. This was by far the best jewelry purchasing experience I’ve had and I’ve bought a lot of jewelry (both online and in stores). Many thanks to Jim and everyone at Dirt Cheap for making this such a wonderful experience and for helping me get my dream ring!

P.S. The SI1 is still available and it’s gorgeous too!
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6976759

And here''s my ring:
(ignore the dirt & lint – this stone is completely eye clean!):

Laboratory: AGS Ideal 0
Carat Weight: 1.244
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Shape: Round
Depth: 60.4%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.00-7.04 x 4.24

Paul Winston Semi-Mount w/4 sidestones, 1 cttw, SI1/2 G/H (purchased locally for $2K)

wavey.gif

dream ring 5-16-04.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is absolutely stunning. So beautiful. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with DCD. I'm considering them for an up-coming purchase.

Wow, Wow, Wow. All I can say, and.... need pics on your hand. Don't be stingy now.
Nan
appl.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
WOW!
love.gif
I love it...SI2? I couldn't see a thing but perfection in the closeup. Good for you! Wear it for many years in health & happiness!
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! Congratulations!

I am currently trying to find the "PERFECT"
2.gif
center stone for my anniversary semi-mount, too... I can only hope that my story ends as wonderfully as yours!

Thanks for sharing,
Lynn

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
That ring is SSOOOOO beautiful!!! Congrats on a great experience and a wonderful purchase.

Shay

Meghane

Rough_Rock
Here's some more pics of my gorgeous SI2 from Dirt Cheap Diamonds. None of my pics capture its true beauty but I'll keep trying!
wavey.gif

dream ring 5-19-04.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Yeah Meg, you keep trying and trying and trying.....drooooool....
love.gif

Nan

Meghane

Rough_Rock
Nan - when you've waited 10 years to finally get it, you can't take your eyes off of it and have to show it off every chance you get! I wonder how understanding the police will be when I explain that I was looking at my new ring instead of the speedometer???
6.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that sure looks like a clean SI 2!! Congrats, that's a real gem!
1.gif
Great pics, BTW!

Meghane

Rough_Rock
Thanks! It's the cleanest SI2 I've ever seen. And to think I told Jim at DCD not to even bother showing it to me since I couldn't possibly be satisfied with an SI2 . . . he sure proved me wrong!

The first two pics are care of Jim. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of the loose stone but I think these are great anyway. The second set I took with my Canon Digital Rebel. Not great pics but I'm still learning how to use it.

Meg

MRHammar

Rough_Rock
I am so glad you had a great experience with DCD, too!

When I first contacted DCD about a few stones a month ago, I was blown away by their prompt response and personal attention. They were very frank and honest when they gave opinions and never once made me feel like I was being the pain-in-the-ass that I was. One day before I was getting two stones shipped out to me to compare, I had a 25 minute conversation with Jim in which he personally examined the stones while on the phone and answered EVERY one of my questions without hinting that I was wasting his time. When the diamonds arrived the very next morning as I was promised, I was astonished that their visual performance exceeded my lofty expectations.

First and foremost, I want to thank Jim for never pressuring me into spending more than my budget would allow. Secondly, I was to thank DCD (and all of you Pricescope peeps) for educating me on how to maximize the beauty of the stone by finding a combination of Cut, Color and Clarity that I was comfortable with. I would have never expected that I would ultimately choose an "I1" stone, but as the advice goes around here, you have to go with what your two eyes see.

Lastly, I was stunned when I pulled a 180 at the last minute and decided not to use Dirt Cheap Diamonds to mount my stone in the E-Ring and Jim actually supported my decision to use a local B&M (with which I have a business relationship) to set the diamond and purchase the ring from. It is rare in business for an entrepreneur to turn down the opportunity to make money, but Jim was never anything but gracious for my business that he did earn.

I must admit that I am a tough, somewhat cynical, customer but Jim, Josh and Jennifer at Dirt Cheap Diamonds have more than earned my endorsement. I will definitely use DCD in the future to purchase diamond earrings and heartily recommend to anyone who needs some guidance to give Jim and the staff at DCD a chance to earn your business. I highly doubt you will be let down. Thanks again, Jim!!

Pics and specs of the diamond and finished ring to follow shortly!

Best,

Matt Hammar
appl.gif

Meghane

Rough_Rock
Matt - sounds like you and I valued the same thing in our experiences. Honesty without the hype. I am very analytical by nature which can make me a challenging customer but am no where near a diamond expert so I was definately out of my element. Jim and Josh never made me feel like I was being a pain (which I was) and didn't treat me like an "ignorant buyer" (which I got with several jewelry stores). With Dirt Cheap, I felt like the emphasis was on making me feel comfortable with the purchase and not on rushing the sale. It really surprised me since I never expected to be talked out of spending more money! In the end, not only did I get a beautiful ring but I felt really good about my decision. There's a lot to be said for that.

Can't wait to see your ring -- post those pics!

Meg

MRHammar

Rough_Rock
Hi there...being the hack photographer I am, I apologize in advance for the way these pics have massacred the beauty of the stone
9.gif
It scored a 1.8 on the HCA with EEVV as the ratings:

AGS Ideal Cut Diamond

Polish: Ideal

Symmetry: Ideal

Carat Weight: 0.831

Color: E

Clarity: I1

Measurements: 5.99x6.03x3.73

Depth: 62.1

Table: 56

Culet: Pointed

Girdle: 1.7-2.5

Fluorescence: None

Crown Angle: 35.1

Pavilion Angle: 40.8

The ring is a simple, 950 platinum, six-prong Tiffany solitaire, mounted and set beautifully by Rich at Bloomfield Jewelers in Pittsburgh, PA. I hope she likes it as much as I do!

-Matt

Dsc00205.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring Matt! I love the combo of E color with a good I1. It has that nice, icy white look. It's a classic and beautiful ring -- I'm sure she will love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results