shape
carat
color
clarity

Differnece in carat size noticeable when set?

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Would you be able to tell the difference in size between a 1.20 and a 1.40ct round diamond once set in the setting? Would there be a very noticeable difference? Thanks in advance.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
depends on the diamond. if you have a 1.2 that face up large and a 1.4 that face up small then probably not too much

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be noticeable assuming both were ideal cut. I don't have any pictures of stones set, but I do have a couple of pictures that GOG provided me when I was trying to decide on diamond size.

stones on hand (2).jpg

diamcompar2a.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you compared them side by side you would notice it but either would be a great size.

thbmok

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience I need at least 0.3 mm difference in diameter to see an outright size difference, without the aid of side by side comparisons.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1311541710|2975917 said:
In my experience I need at least 0.3 mm difference in diameter to see an outright size difference, without the aid of side by side comparisons.

using this rule, and looking at the chart, i think it will definitely be noticeable it also depends on the size..a .3mm difference on a smaller stone is likely easier to see than on a larger

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it also depends on the set. My 1.30 RB looks much larger in a cushion halo... lots of finger coverage.. in a more traditional setting I am certain it would look much different...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a 1.2ct diamond and when I was looking to upgrade, decided that the difference only because noticable... like "wow!" noticable... at 1.6cts. You could just see the 1.5ct difference. I don't think a jump to 1.4ct would be very obvious.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming that both are well-cut and of average spread for their weight:

I don't think that it would be very obvious, except when comparing the two diamonds side by side. Other than that, it might only be noticeable to someone who actually wears the ring - if they have been used to seeing a 1.2 carat diamond on their finger for a long time, they might notice a small size increase if they changed to a 1.4 carat diamond.

It's not going to be a huge difference though, and other people won't be able to tell.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I am assuming that their excellent/very good cut and score a very good on the HCA. I notice a slight difference based on the pictures but not much. Dreamer_D I've seen the difference in your upgrades and I notice the difference. I plan on putting it in a halo hopefully the Beverly K that Upgradable has. I love the finger coverage she has I just wonder if the 1.20 would look a lot smaller versus the 1.40 in that ring. I can't justify the $2500 difference for 0.20 increase.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
With a halo? I'd go for the 1.2. I think you'd be much better off investing your money in a platinum setting. And I adore that particular Beverly K.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1311581850|2976210 said:
With a halo? I'd go for the 1.2. I think you'd be much better off investing your money in a platinum setting. And I adore that particular Beverly K.

Ditto to all of this! You don't need the extra size if it is going into a halo, IMO. Or you could split the difference and get a diamond in the 1.3 range, too. Be sure to stick with ideal/excellent cut.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Thanks that what I think I'm going to do. I don't like the extra weight of platinum I love rose gold though. I plan on doing custom and making it in 14k rose gold. With the extra money I'm saving I hope to get a 2.20 ct U prong rose gold eternity wedding band. Although this is all off in the distant future and all depends on my SO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results