shape
carat
color
clarity

difference between hearts and arrows viwer and ideal-scope? And ASET scope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nos96

Rough_Rock
I see that the ASET is probably harder to read but more detailed, but the ideal-scope and H&A viewer seem to show about the same thing. How do the 2 differ?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another consideration is what shape stone you are buying. If it''s a round an IS image is usually sufficient and you don''t really need an ASET. But for a fancy cut, an ASET is REALLY helpful.

nos96

Rough_Rock
it will be round. How does a hearts and arrows viewer differ from an IS? They look and seem to show a similar image but I am sure I am missing something. Do H&A viewers not show light leakage?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 1:21:54 PM
Author: nos96
it will be round. How does a hearts and arrows viewer differ from an IS? They look and seem to show a similar image but I am sure I am missing something. Do H&A viewers not show light leakage?
Here is a quote of part of a post from expert Dave Atlas, as this should be of help to you. Basically the H&A viewer is used to look at symmetry and patterning and isn't used to determine leakage, an Idealscope will show any light leakage and symmetry / patterns.

"The Ideal-Scope discriminates high brilliancy diamonds from lower performance stones. It remains useful while the H&A thingy is a marketing tool more than a gemology tool.

Depending on your personal choice in what sort of diamonds to buy, these tools may make more or less sense to each individual. We use the Ideal-Scope daily on many diamonds. We never use a H&A viewer except upon request or to check out if a supposed H&A diamond has the H&A effect present. Performance and H&A do not exactly correlate while Performance and I-S appearance do correlate."

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just like the IS, the ASET Scope has usefulness an a direct correlation to the quality of the appearance of a diamond. You need to interpret the results, but of course, your eyes do a great job of telling you what looks best or what is pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results