shape
carat
color
clarity

Die Cast vs. Custom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
A short time ago I went into New York City to look at settings. While there the sales person at one store discussed the differences between die casting and having rings custom made from waxes.
He mentioned that the rings from waxes or any type of ring where the metal was heated and cooled that way would have little bubbles in the platinum and would not be perfect.
I know how die casting works as SO is an engineer and was only too happy to explain it to me and show me some neat things in CAD. Sadly he was unable to tell me what that gentleman had meant because he is not familiar with how custom rings are made.
Will a custom ring be less durable then a die cast? Will it have more imperfections?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are various ways of casting metal each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Most custom rings are made using the lost wax method which when done properly is as good as any other method.
If he was talking about hand poured casting vs other methods I could see his point.
The bottom line is that any casting method can produce great castings and any of them can produce a good result.

There is no method of casting that doesnt heat then cool the metal.
What he was talking about is die striking or stamping.
This is used for simple bands and does result in a denser finshed product with higher surface hardness.
Coins and simple bands and pendants are made using this method.
On assembled peices ofthen the shank with be stamped and the head cast.
You can not stamp complicated shapes.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Intreasting, the gentleman at MC Fina in NYC told FFF and I that the Rina Limor ring I posted was die cast. I was wondering how it had been done. Thanks!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding comfort fit wedding bands. Are these always cast or are they die struck and then finished off to give the curve? Something I have always wondered.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 12:30:44 PM
Author: Feydakin
Actually strmrdr, die struck filigree rings were the prefered method of making them ''back in the day''.. There are still a few manufacturers out there producing amazing ''antique'' filigree rings using the dies from decades ago.. It gives amazingly sharp lines and a good metal work hardness that helps the pieces last longer..
Thanks Steve id forgot about those.
Nice catch :}

Try stamping an x-prong type setting which is what i ment by complicated shapes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 3:14:38 PM
Author: Pyramid
Regarding comfort fit wedding bands. Are these always cast or are they die struck and then finished off to give the curve? Something I have always wondered.

Mine was die struck but cant say if they all are.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results