shape
carat
color
clarity

Did your preferences change when you tried on rings?

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I have been avidly reading this forum for a few months after deciding that my partner and I would get me a diamond ring after a company dividend and bonus was paid out.

I loved and still love the MRB halos on this site, I was sure that a Victor Canera halo was my dream ring. I tried a halo on, - gorgeous in the tray, gorgeous in the various hand shots of lucky owners on this site, but on me: not so much. I tried on a platinum solitaire with a pave band, - lovely!

I was poised to proceed with a 2.81 carat J SI1 with Whiteflash with a pave band, when my partner sprang a surprise proposal in Westminster Abbey on a weekend trip to London. He proposed with a dazzling 2.02 carat J VS2 MRB solitaire and I love it, even though it is on a plain band. I still think pave bands are scrumptious but having seen my new ring on my hand, if it were taken away and I had free rein to make the choice, I would go for a plain solitaire again for my engagement ring. I think he did a better job than I was about to do (although I wouldn't have said no to the extra 1mm of the 2.81 :wink2: - Pricescope is shocking for increasing your carat tolerance!) The plain band really sets off the diamond and it looks elegant on my decidedly ordinary little mitts.

Has anyone else had the experience of being positive they wanted a certain style or setting and then finding that it just doesn't work on their own hand? It's not that I changed my mind about halos, they look just as beautiful to me now as they did, - as long as they are on someone else.

I also really love the plain solitaires paired with pave wedding bands I've seen on this site but guess what? When I tried on wedding bands at De Beers, the plain 2 mm platinum band that matches my solitaire looked the best to both of us. It was almost annoying! I really thought the pave band was the way to go. I'm going to compare again the next time I'm in London so make sure before we buy them but it seems I'm destined not to have the pave I craved!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! My issue was on the width of a band--so glad I went & tried a few on first. Also on a diamond tennis bracelet, again, so glad I tried a few different carat weights on...it makes a huge difference IMHO seeing it actually on. Its like choosing clothing--it'll look great in the catalogue/online etc., but on--yikes! Not so great....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can say yes after trying on rings and living with different styles my preferences changed.

I can appreciate pave and intricate designs, but its just too much for me.

The major thing was metal color.I thought everyone had to have white metal - but then I saw warm gold on me and my whole perspective changed

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, my preference changed when I tried them on, and also when just looking at them in person in the cases or even just online. I thought that I would end up loving many more than I actually did, but when trying them on or seeing them in person, it's a totally different story. That being said, I do think it's important to try them on more than once. I thought I loved a ring only to go back and try it on and wonder, "what was I thinking?"

Originally, I was thinking halo with a more decorative band for my remount, but ended up falling in love with a three-stone tulip prong basket with melee setting. It has the bling factor around the diamonds so it has a nice side view, but the band is plain. I have small fingers so maybe that is part of the reason for changing my mind? I don't have a lot of width from my knuckle to the base of my finger. I liked that the three-stone had a wider coverage. And with having smaller fingers, a lot of the decorative band gets lost.

Good luck with your search!!! It sure can be fun!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read many people saying their preferences change. I know that I like large pear or oval shapes but due to my short fingers, they can't work unless dress rings on my middle fingers. I hate seeing on me or anyone else where the stone comes down over the creased part of the knuckle. I asked a friend and she said that wouldn't bother her, she did not own one like that, was just saying when I was trying on a ring oneday.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI;

A person can have more than one band! A pave band plus plain band is such a great look when the solitaire is resting. :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just like you, I loved the idea of a halo. Played around with the idea for two years, but could not find a halo I liked. I finally tried on a Victor Canera halo, and still did not love it. If I didn't love a VC halo on my hand, I wasn't going to love any halo. I tried on a non-halo and loved it. In fact, I chose one that I completely wrote off when I viewed it on his website. IRL, when I tried it on, it felt perfectly at home on my finger. Some people just know. Not me. I'm so glad I tried them on before I committed to my reset.

And, I went the wrong with with a couple of my first settings. But I certainly would not have figured out things that I wanted without wearing things that I really disliked for a while. That's just me. Miss Trial and Error. Can be expensive though... :roll: That is why I am going to wear my ring for a while without a band, and then decide. I love the idea of a matching custom band made by Victor. But I won't commit until I am sure.

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Funny thing. I got a solitaire when we first got married many years ago.( a small one for sure) After many years I decided I wanted something else. I bought and wore several CZ's. Three stone, halo, etc. but when hubby said I could upgrade to a bigger stone I went back to the solitaire. So happy I did. I especially love stacking it with all different types of bands. I guess I just needed to stay with my first love.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1417747334|3795435 said:
HI;

A person can have more than one band! A pave band plus plain band is such a great look when the solitaire is resting. :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

I like your thinking!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I assumed I'd like a solitaire or an old fashioned cluster (like my mum's) but ended up with a three stone. I liked the finger coverage and sparkle factor. Looking back though (this was WELL before Pricescope and Internet shopping) with the knowledge I have now I suspect the reason I was underwhelmed with the solitaires was that they were poorly cut and badly performing.......

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not fully appreciate the beauties of ECs until I tried a 3-stone EC ring when spec'ing for my engagement ring back in mid 1990s, and have loved EC diamonds ever since, so much so that I bought myself a bigger EC as a 40th birthday present to myself.

I tried a number of MRBs first in different settings, including 3-stones, and none of the appealed. When I tried on the 3-stone EC ring, it just felt right on my finger.

DK :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, my preferences definitely changed when I tried on rings. I think it's fairly common. For me, before trying on rings, I figured the bigger the better when it came to the center stone. But when I actually tried on rings, I didn't like center stones that were bigger than 3 carats. I don't like halos on myself either. I LOVE those things on other people but they're just not "me" and when I put them on it becomes obvious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very much so; there are so many different styles that I love in both pictures and in real life but they are not for me. They either are not suitable for my lifestyle or do not look nice on my hand.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this bizarre "thing" (like obsession) visually a few years ago for double really pointy spit prong settings like the ones Leon, Steven and Victor make. I got a ring like it made with split prongs in each corner set with a RB many eons ago and on me yeeeesh - not so much. I also had a 6 prong setting and smaller RB at the time with an elegant swoopy basket and it looked much much better than what I thought my dream ring was. This was back in the day when I lurked on P/S and drooled at all the pics.....

I now have a Victor Sophia halo and a 8 prong Deco inspired setting Victor designed just for me and I adore both settings and rings.

There are frequently a lot of things I like in pics or I like in the window, I put them on not so much, and other things I think are just so-so on first glance and I try them on and they look great. I wish got to travel to the US more often - I would try even more things on :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring started in a yellow gold, tiffany style band, went to the early 80s thick band with many princess cut diamonds, to a white gold band that was toooo thick with too many baguettes, to a handmade (crappy) white gold band, to this latest home; a platinum band with baguettes (another handmade) this ring's head is too high.. I've changed so much over the years it's crazy..

I like pave bands..... I think I just love diamonds

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
At some point a couple years ago I went to T&Co to try on some of the rings I thought I wanted.
I was really shocked that a lot of what I loved in the case or in photos I really didn't care for on my hand.

I think jewelry, and rings especially, can be incredibly emotional and evocative of all sorts of memories. I grew up looking at certain rings on my mom and my grandmother and those are my standard, at least for wedding jewelry. I love looking at ornate romantic designs and halos are so sparkly and spready, but for me they don't belong on my left hand. The right hand, however, has free reign in my wardrobe.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preferences changed. I wanted a right-hand diamond ring and I was totally convinced that I wanted a marquise. I never thought anything of pears. But I saw a pear halo for a good price, and I was amazed how much I liked it on my finger, far better than the marquises that I've tried on.

I never would have thought I'd go for a pear, but I liked it a million times better on my hand than I thought I would. Maybe it's because you get some nice finger coverage at the wide end, but you still get some tapered elegance at the top end. I had no idea how nice a pear would look in real life.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1417784711|3795665 said:
Very much so; there are so many different styles that I love in both pictures and in real life but they are not for me. They either are not suitable for my lifestyle or do not look nice on my hand.

This is what I experienced too - yet because aesthetically I find so many styles attractive in photos and on other people's hands, I periodically have to remind myself somewhat forcefully that certain designs are just not pleasing on my own finger.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, my preferences changed...the really ornate rings that I love to look at don't look right on my hands...the sleek simple styles end up being prettiest on.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I thought I was all about pave until I started trying on rings. I wear a plain band most of time.

That said I wouldn't say no to an eternity.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely.

I discovered that really thin shanks (under 2mm) look terrible on my fat fingers. And that east west stones, while stunning on others are to be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS on my hands.

Also there is stuff that looks great on the web (Veraggio) that just looks bad or cheap in person (also Verragio).

It's important to try things on.

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Yes, definitely. It's good to keep an open mind when shopping, to keep yourself open to trying different stone shapes and settings that might be a surprise perfect fit.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely. I'll see something online I love then try it on and don't like it at all. I've even passed up rings in a case and finally try it on as a last resort and loved them the minute I put them on.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1417926522|3796876 said:
Definitely. I'll see something online I love then try it on and don't like it at all. I've even passed up rings in a case and finally try it on as a last resort and loved them the minute I put them on.

Me too! I've found that I really can't trust my own judgment when it comes to designs/styles I haven't actually tried on - it seems like the things I was most sure I wouldn't like, turned out to be favorites (i.e., bezel settings, blackened metal settings, yellow beryl gemstones, drop pearls). And things I was sure I'd love turned out to be no-go's for me (criss-cross settings, heavy pave settings, marquise shapes, trillion shapes, pear shapes (except for dangle earrings)).

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
My preferences immensely changed when I tried on rings. I loveeee the solitaire look paired with a diamond band, but once I had one on my hand, I could not stand it. I am very much enamored with very elaborate halo settings.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I went from a solitaire to a elaborate engraved setting with milgrain back to a much nicer solitaire and still had like warm feelings, tried on halos and found they were not at all as visually appealing as those I see posted on this forum. I agree with the previous poster about pears, one day I tried one on with side baguetts and it was so lovely on my hand, I have never forgotten! Funny, because I never thought Of pears or baguetts 8)

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
For me trying rIngs on actually didn't change my opinions of what I was looking for at all. I knew going in u basically wanted almost a solitaire but with just a touch of something extra and that's exactly what I ended up with

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1417784711|3795665 said:

+1

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love halo rings and was looking at getting a halo setting for our 10 year anniversary. I have a solitaire with pave on the shank now. When I tried the halo rings on, I loved the look, but felt that it wasn't me. I think part of the reason is that I have toddlers and I am clumsy so I think I would be afraid to wear a halo fearing that I would immediately damage the setting or break melee stones left and right.

I will probably get a halo in 10-15 years when the boys are older.

I also love 3 stone rings, but when I try them on they look really funky on my hand :((

I still love looking at halos and 3 stone rings on PS, but they are not for me.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color me confused, YES, I am going through this right now. I never wanted a diamond solitaire. I thought they were so boring, everyone has one, I need something different...

Well, I have been very down lately and feeling no Christmas spirit so Mr. Elliot and I took a walk downtown, where for fun I tried on a 2ish carat diamond solitaire in a 6 prong Tiffany style platinum setting. It was just so pretty. It screamed "Married!" to me, and it was just timeless and classic and elegant. I fell in love with the least likely style, something I had never even considered. I mean, I am a colored stone girl, what is going on? :o

I have a lot of thinking to do, and sadly do not have a 2 carat diamond budget ;( ;( ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results