shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a mistake on my new diamond?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I bought two weeks ago from Blue Nile, a 1.20 carat princess cut diamond. J color, VS1 clarity, Very Good Cut/Polish/Symmetry. 74% table (big, I know), 69.8% depth, medium fluorescence (which I love), 1.03 ratio, 6.07 x 5.92 x 4.13mm measurements.

I wanted a princess cut because my DH had proposed to me with one waaay back in 2002. Even though they aren't that popular anymore, I still love a beautiful princess cut diamond. I wanted it halo'ed and Blue Nile had the exact style I wanted. Bonus that my original e-ring was from BN as well.

My budget was $5K and I did go over that a bit. My criteria was cut, size, color, clarity (eye clean), in that order. In my excitement of finding a diamond that was in the 1.20 carat range, my priorities got a bit jumbled and they ended up being size, cut, clarity, color. I knew that table was on the large side, but I wasn't too concerned about it.

This ring is a 12th wedding anniversary (a bit late) present and I had promised DH, the last wedding set change. It's no secret I've changed my wedding set a lot :doh: and I wanted that "forever" done and done set.

Blue Nile was awesome to work with and the ring arrived in just a few days (the diamond was in the States and not overseas). I also purchased the matching eternity band that went with the Blue Nile floating halo. I LOVE my ring. I love the halo and the band. I also love the diamond. It's a great size, it sparkles madly and from all angles! The two things holding me back from saying that I'm keeping this diamond are: 1) the color and 2) the cut.

The color: In MOST lighting it looks white. However, in some rooms, it looks beige. Candlelight warmth. Not yellow. But a bit warm. In almost every picture I took, you can see it. It doesn't help that a majority of my rooms are painted Ben Moore Shaker Beige, so I know the diamond is probably picking up a bit of that color.

The cut: 10 years on Pricescope and cut cut cut was been drilled into me. That is, until size is also a factor and then I guess cut goes down a notch? :naughty: I spoke with Blue Nile about a diamond I found yesterday that is the same size, VS2, J color, Excellent polish and symmetry, and the rep I spoke with felt I would see only a minimal difference between the two diamonds. And, it was $1,000 more than mine. Ouch. :silenced:

I've attached some pictures where you can see the warmth. I will say again, the diamond sparkles beautifully. We did a college tour this week for my daughter, and in every auditorium, the wedding set was a disco ball! :lickout:

So, I would appreciate opinions on my diamond and if you think its a keeper or if I should send it back. My very patient DH will NOT be happy if I send it back, as he loves it (and he's not a jewelry guy) and both he and my 18 year old DD think I'm just nitpicking! I want to make sure I'm getting the best diamond for my (smallish) budget. Thank you!

bnprhalo2.jpg

bnprhalo3.jpg

bnprhalo5.jpg

bnprhalo7.jpg

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
Hello fellow Princess Cut lover!

Beautiful setting you have there.

Ok. I'll just voice my opinion. I'm definately no expert on diamonds but I know what appeals to me.

Table size - personally, I like a larger table on a princess cut. So, no issue with that.
Ratio - I'm a little OCD, so the dimensions are at the outer 'acceptable' range. My original princess cut was 5.35 x 5.35 and a little deep for a 1.01ct but it was mind clean

Colour - the j is definately a warmer colour. It's personal preference. Were you after a warmer stone? Some people chase the warmer stones. I have found that I'm sensitive to colour so anything warmer than an F bothers me.

Cut - when you were chatting to BN, could they tell you why it was a VG cut and not excellent? Perhaps extra facets or whatever else might affect it. It might be one tiny thing that made the stone drop down from a Ex to a VG. Saying your stone sparkles like crazy (YEAH BABY!!), it's probably the case.

Clarity - I like eye clean diamonds. My current stone is an SI1. I looked at at least 15 stones, all SI1. Some, I could see the inclusions from across the desk, some I could see from about 30cm away, some I needed a x10 loupe.

My advice - again, only an opinion. I understand COMPLETELY about size and budget being a huge factor. I went from a 1.01ct, G, SI1, VGx2 to a 2.47ct, E, VGx2. My diamond guy and I spoke to a gemologist to see why it was graded as a VG. Minor thing that made it drop down a category. All this combined, I got a superbly sparkly stone that fit my budget and my criteria.

Perhaps you could get an SI1 eye clean and a higher colour? It should still work within your budget.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you like it, then don't worry about the cut since it is a disco ball. But if the color bothers you even when it's new, it might bother you even more when the excitement of a new ring wears off. If you change it now, you can spend whatever you're comfortable with. But should you do it after the 30 day period, it's considering trading up and it will be double whatever your current diamond costs. Would your husband be more unhappy then or just let him be slightly unhappy now if you change it?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
MixedPeel|1428112094|3856657 said:
Hello fellow Princess Cut lover!

Beautiful setting you have there. Thank you, MixedPeel!

Ok. I'll just voice my opinion. I'm definately no expert on diamonds but I know what appeals to me.

Table size - personally, I like a larger table on a princess cut. So, no issue with that.
Ratio - I'm a little OCD, so the dimensions are at the outer 'acceptable' range. My original princess cut was 5.35 x 5.35 and a little deep for a 1.01ct but it was mind clean

Colour - the j is definately a warmer colour. It's personal preference. Were you after a warmer stone? Some people chase the warmer stones. I have found that I'm sensitive to colour so anything warmer than an F bothers me. I wasn't looking for a warmer stone specifically. I was looking more for a well cut, 1.15-1.30 carat range diamond that was near colorless (I knew colorless was out of my budget for the size I wanted), and eye clean.

Cut - when you were chatting to BN, could they tell you why it was a VG cut and not excellent? Perhaps extra facets or whatever else might affect it. It might be one tiny thing that made the stone drop down from a Ex to a VG. Saying your stone sparkles like crazy (YEAH BABY!!), it's probably the case. I spoke to three different BN reps about my stone and all three highly recommended it. They did warn me that being a princess cut, that I could possibly see some warmth, but it also has medium fluorescence, which would counteract a bit of the color. But BN had high regard for this diamond over others I was looking at, especially for the size/clarity/cut grade that it has.

Clarity - I like eye clean diamonds. My current stone is an SI1. I looked at at least 15 stones, all SI1. Some, I could see the inclusions from across the desk, some I could see from about 30cm away, some I needed a x10 loupe.

My advice - again, only an opinion. I understand COMPLETELY about size and budget being a huge factor. I went from a 1.01ct, G, SI1, VGx2 to a 2.47ct, E, VGx2. My diamond guy and I spoke to a gemologist to see why it was graded as a VG. Minor thing that made it drop down a category. All this combined, I got a superbly sparkly stone that fit my budget and my criteria.

Perhaps you could get an SI1 eye clean and a higher colour? It should still work within your budget.
I've been looking for a higher color, eye clean, similar size, well cut diamond and given my budget restrictions, none are coming up. If I was willing to drop down in size to a 1.0-1.10, I could, but I'm quite fond of the size of my diamond! :love: :cheeky: Thank you Mixedpeel! You're post made me a feel a lot better about my stone!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
thecat|1428112379|3856662 said:
If you like it, then don't worry about the cut since it is a disco ball. But if the color bothers you even when it's new, it might bother you even more when the excitement of a new ring wears off. If you change it now, you can spend whatever you're comfortable with. But should you do it after the 30 day period, it's considering trading up and it will be double whatever your current diamond costs. Would your husband be more unhappy then or just let him be slightly unhappy now if you change it?

DH wants me to be happy, period. If I was going to make a change, he would prefer I do it now rather than later and spend double. Very good point about the color once the newness wears off... Thank you, thecat!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1428119729|3856728 said:
thecat|1428112379|3856662 said:

DH wants me to be happy, period. If I was going to make a change, he would prefer I do it now rather than later and spend double. Very good point about the color once the newness wears off... Thank you, thecat!

You mentioned in your opening post that your DH likes your current princess. It's great that he's open to you returning it for another. Can't wait to see your new ring :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results