shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a big mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

legal

Rough_Rock
A few days ago I posted about a diamond I bought from a local jeweler. I was just planning to browse, but I felt I was getting such a good deal on the stone, I bought it on the spot (no down payment - I pick it up this weekend). At the time I was thrilled, but as I have surfed around on this site, I am starting to wonder if I made a good choice.

At first, I wanted a 1.5 carat round with great cut and color, but I ended up with a somewhat less quality 1.72 carat round instead. Here are the specs and some of my concerns:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.72
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 59%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: NONE
Fluorescence: NONE
Measurements: 7.72*7.80*4.68

First, I don''t know anything about the crown or pavilion of the diamond. I can''t even speculate on the quality of the stone''s appearance because I only looked at 5 or so diamonds and they all looked good to me.

The table seems a little too big based on what I have been told to look for in good stones.

Also the certificate is almost a year old. I thought that diamonds of this size were fairly popular so I am worried that there is a reason why it has not sold.

I guess I''m wondering if anything about this diamond might suggest that there is a problem with it. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I''m not sure about the cut and that is bothering me.

You can see the stone here (and other places online):

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=4377488

Also, note that I paid considerably less than the online price listed on the site above.

Please let me know if I should consider backing out of this deal to find a smaller stone with a better cut. Thank you all for your help.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is normal to have some sort of buyers remorse, but only you can decide what is going to make you comfortable in the long run. no one here can make that decision for you. you have the diamond and seemed to be happy with it...at some point at least anyway..we haven''t seen it at all and there is not enough information about the stone to even make a guess about it.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Without Sarin info, I''m not sure if there will be much for anyone to comment on. Is it too late to request this info from your jeweler? what about their return policy? If you saw the stone with your own eyes and loved it then IMO that should be what truly matters

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes what belle said. You have seen it we haven''t. It''s very normal to have buyers remorse. What about the stone are you doubting??? How did the stone look to you????

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, legal...It sounds to me like you've purchased a nice big GIA graded stone, with great color and clarity. These are all very good things. If it looked beautiful to you, and touched your heart, then I think you've done very well indeed!!!

One has to remember that a lot of people here at PS are really into numbers, charts, percentages and angles...and that's great....particularly when one is trying to choose a diamond sight unseen.

But I'm sure that every one of those same people would tell you that ultimately, it's how the stone l@@ks to you that counts most.
1.gif

widget

legal

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your advice. Its funny - when I went to look at stones, all I knew was that I wanted somthing nice and bright. Now I am getting caught up in all of these catagories and specs. I am almost glad I did not learn so much about diamonds until after I bought the thing!

Hopefully some of my worries will be alleviated once I have the stone. I trust my jeweler completely and no matter what, I know I got a fair deal. I will keep you all informed. Thanks again.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my fiance was buying my diamond from our very trusted jeweler/ diamond broker, the jeweler ordered in 4 diamonds with with the spec''s my fiance wanted. The broker called us to tell us that the stones had arrived and that he already had a favorite but was going to keep mum. So my fiance went to pick one.

Of the four of them one had perfect, and I mean perfect numbers for everything. The other three had nearly perfect... in varying degrees. My fiance didn''t ask which was which, he wanted to see them without prejudice... and my fiance immediately saw the one he wanted. His turned out to be the second most ''imperfect'' stone. But it was brightest and most brilliant. The jeweler broke into a smile after my fiance had chosen and said that it was his favorite too, and that numbers aren''t always the most important thing. You have to trust your eyes.

It sounds to me like that''s what happened to you.

Ask yourself this... if there had been a numerically perfect diamond there... and you saw it next to yours, and liked the numbers of the ''perfect'' stone, and the look of yours... which would you chose? The important thing is: You liked the way it looked. It''s not always about the numbers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as you like the way it looked, that''s really all that matters. I have to say though that it always drives me nuts when people come on here after the fact and say they got carried away and purchased a stone THEN came on here to ask about it and say what worries them about it. I mean couldn''t you put the stone on hold then do more research on it? Even for a day? A purchase is a big deal...having buyers remorse really sucks, I had the same thing happen after we bought with our eyes (and got carried away) and ended up getting a whole different stone a year or so later because the cut on the old stone bothered me so much. That is my story. It may not be yours...but I would make sure you REALLY LOVE this stone and won''t continue to worry about the cut or whatever you feel like you sacrificed. Otherwise it may drive you nuts if you can''t put it to bed.

I am not a personal fan of 60/60 cuts but some swear by them. The F VS is a very nice combo so I guess you feel like you sacrificed on the cut? I''d at least get it appraised to ensure that it matches the GIA cert, and have the appraiser run a sarin if possible so at least you have more info. Even when buying from people I trust, getting it checked out independently never hurts...especially if you plan to insure it. Hope that helps...

I want to see pictures!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results