shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamondseeker2006... your photo

snowpondmaine

Rough_Rock
If this is rude just ignore it.... I assume the stone in your avatar is a I/VS1? It looks awesome! I'm looking much smaller, but I'd like it to look as nice... do you have more detailed specs like cut/polish/symmetry etc? or pav/crown angles? I'd love a stone as nice (but a LOT smaller)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure ds will give you more info.

But her avatar is a august vintage round. Its sold by good old gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course it isn't rude! I don't mind at all!

This stone is an August Vintage Round from Good Old Gold. It is a specialty cut made like an Old European cut diamond but with excellent/ideal light performance. I don't think AVRs are actually graded for light performance yet, but GOG does provide their own proof of light performance on the site.

I do dearly love the cut of my diamond! I had to go with I color because the three stones in the size range I wanted were all I color! They get them in rarely, so I had to choose from what they had, and I looked at a few in person (had them sent to me).

So while I don't mind telling you my specs, I think the easiest solution is to just look at GOG's inventory of AVRs! See what you think and I'll be glad to help you further!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/diamonds/round/august-vintage-round.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that should be a beautiful stone! These sometimes face up a little smaller than an ideal cut modern round brilliant, so it is probably good it is a little larger than you had planned. The ASET image shows no light leakage so its light return should be excellent! Obviously the facet patterns are harder to see in small stones, but I still think it will be really pretty especially in the E VVS!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1422311600|3822384 said:

This stone is an August Vintage Round from Good Old Gold. It is a specialty cut made like an Old European cut diamond but with excellent/ideal light performance. I don't think AVRs are actually graded for light performance yet, but GOG does provide their own proof of light performance on the site.
I'm surprised that they are not. Wonder why?.. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

snowpondmaine

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I am, Niel... just noticed the one you posted says IGI VVS1, but GIA cert says VS1? any thoughts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
snowpondmaine|1422324347|3822474 said:
Yeah, I am, Niel... just noticed the one you posted says IGI VVS1, but GIA cert says VS1? any thoughts?

Probably mislabeled. The gia cert is probably right, but James Allen is who you want to ask.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
snowpondmaine|1422322200|3822461 said:
any thought on this one?
.37 F VVS1
reports look good (as far as I know)
https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-37-Carat-F-color-GIA-certified/D-C353WF

The cut is not great on this one. I'd pass.

So if you are open to regular ideal cut rounds, I can also take a look and see other options. I do love the idea of the small AVR, though!

The James Allen stone Niel posted looks good. I think it was probably graded by both labs. GIA would be the reliable report...so it is D VS1.

AlexPark

Rough_Rock

I do dearly love the cut of my diamond! I had to go with I color because the three stones in the size range I wanted were all I color! They get them in rarely, so I had to choose from what they had, and I looked at a few in person (had them sent to me).

So while I don't mind telling you my specs, I think the easiest solution is to just look at GOG's inventory of AVRs! See what you think and I'll be glad to help you further!

DS, I think you have the most beautiful diamond. When I'm ready to propose, I'm going to have one of my stones recut to look like yours.

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
August vintage rounds are so beautiful. :love: I kick myself sometimes for not getting one of those instead.

snowpondmaine

Rough_Rock
do most people think AVR are nicer than regular rounds? DS pic looks great, but I've never seen one in person

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AlexPark|1422423262|3823077 said:

DS, I think you have the most beautiful diamond. When I'm ready to propose, I'm going to have one of my stones recut to look like yours.

Alex! That is so sweet! When you are ready, talk to Jonathan at Good Old Gold and he can arrange a recut for you. It truly is a beautiful stone and I am thankful to have it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
snowpondmaine|1422488231|3823488 said:
do most people think AVR are nicer than regular rounds? DS pic looks great, but I've never seen one in person

I will tell you that I first had an ideal cut round. It was beautiful but smaller than my current stone. Then I fell in love with AVRs and I waited a long time to see if they would have any in the size and color that I wanted. But it seemed like they were not getting any in that were higher than I color, and I had set H color as the minimum in my mind. Eventually I got tired of waiting and had them send me a few AVRs to look at (not all at one time because I did have to cover them on a credit card in order for them to send them). I was able to look at I and J color stones and determined that I could live with I color as long as it wasn't a low I color, and I could see the tint much more in J color, so I redrew my line at mid-I color. That allowed me to choose between 2 beautiful 2 ct stones, and the one I chose is in my avatar.

That said, the smallest AVRs I have seen in person were .60 each as I was considering them for earrings at the time. But the closest matched pair was an I and a J color, and I could see the difference in the colors and did not keep them. I cannot tell you whether the cut would be really significantly apparent in a .35 ct stone. For me, it would entirely depend on what setting you plan for it to go in. If you'll show me your setting, I'll give you my personal opinion.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, and again this is personal preference, I would not pay the premium for the branded cut on a stone that size. This is not a "dig" on the size, but just the fact I don't think you'll fully appreciate the faceting pattern the stone that size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1422490797|3823521 said:
Personally, and again this is personal preference, I would not pay the premium for the branded cut on a stone that size. This is not a "dig" on the size, but just the fact I don't think you'll fully appreciate the faceting pattern the stone that size.

I would agree unless it is an antique style setting. For example, if I found a second hand Van Crayenest setting with a mrb, the first thing I would do is switch out the stone to an AV stone or antique stone. But if it is a modern style setting, then I would get an ideal cut modern round brilliant if below maybe a half carat or so.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1422491802|3823535 said:

I would agree unless it is an antique style setting. For example, if I found a second hand Van Crayenest setting with a mrb, the first thing I would do is switch out the stone to an AV stone or antique stone. But if it is a modern style setting, then I would get an ideal cut modern round brilliant if below maybe a half carat or so.

Totally. If somehow I found an old orange blossom setting,for example, and it only for a .4 ct stone, I'd only put an avr or similar stone in it, not a MRB. but if I'm getting a Tiffany style solitaire, and my.budget was 2 k like the ops, I'd put my money toward something else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1422492155|3823539 said:
diamondseeker2006|1422491802|3823535 said:

Totally. If somehow I found an old orange blossom setting,for example, and it only for a .4 ct stone, I'd only put an avr or similar stone in it, not a MRB. but if I'm getting a Tiffany style solitaire, and my.budget was 2 k like the ops, I'd put my money toward something else.

Yep, we have the exact same thought on that! :))

snowpondmaine

Rough_Rock
she wants a plain 14K white gold setting in 2mm ring (for comfort)... I want a 6-prong to protect the stone better (unless 6 takes away from the beauty?)... they seem to run from 200-500 depending where they come from... The stone will be some sort of round and under .5 carat

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if I'd put 6 prongs on a stone that size. Might be a little too much metal showing on the stone. You don't really need it for safety as 4 prongs are fine. It is more an appearance preference than anything. I have had both and do prefer 6 prongs on larger stones.

I think I'd go a little larger with the stone and get an ideal cut round instead. Whatever the max you think she'd be okay with. I just can't quite imagine a scenario where someone would be upset with a .42 if they were expecting a .33.

But let me add, if the AVRs are in budget, it would be beautiful in a solitaire. In fact, mine is in a plain solitaire at the moment!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results