shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in normal sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
After reading over the brilliance vs fire thread it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask the forum. The other day I took a princess cut diamond (1.33c) which was beautiful under jewelry store lights and took a look at it outside in natural sunlight. The diamond looked to be a little milky or hazy on the inside at certain angles when viewed in the sunlight. Does anyone know why this might have occurred? I''m going to go back on another day and look at it again just to be sure it wasn''t some trick of the light. I was looking at it while it was in one of those metal prong gripper things. Thanks in advance for any replies.

-FTB

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry store lights are notoriously strong... and will hide lots of imperfections.

I can''t know what your description means. The hazy look could have been because of dirt (from handling), very strong fluorescence, or simply a not so great cut that lost most of the brighteness once taken from under those super strong lights
20.gif

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
I''ve read that this usually happens due to fluorescence in your diamond. It''s nothing to be worried about unless you just absolutely hate the way your diamond shines in the sun. A diamond that has fluorescence will glow blue-white under a uv light (blacklight). Sometimes the ring in direct sunlight will appear somewhat hazy, but will appear whiter in color due to its fluorescence. Has this helped any??
20.gif

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
It''s strange because according to the GIA the diamond has no fluoresence and when I brought an idealscope in it looked to have really good light return, besides a small white spot in the very middle. I don''t have the numbers with me but the table was around 74 and the depth I think was 71. I''m hoping it was just a fluke thing because I really like this stone. But if it will always have this problem in direct sunlight I obviously have to take a pass.

-FTB

shoemortgage1979

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/23/2005 8:57:55 AM
Author: Fiance to be
It''s strange because according to the GIA the diamond has no fluoresence and when I brought an idealscope in it looked to have really good light return, besides a small white spot in the very middle. I don''t have the numbers with me but the table was around 74 and the depth I think was 71. I''m hoping it was just a fluke thing because I really like this stone. But if it will always have this problem in direct sunlight I obviously have to take a pass.

-FTB
Well then, I think you should clean the ring really well one more time and take it out in the sunlight...if it still has a hazy or milky look, then, yes, by all means get the diamond ring you really want. It''s your money, spend it wisely!!
41.gif
19.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2005 8:57:55 AM
Author: Fiance to be
It''s strange because according to the GIA the diamond has no fluoresence and when I brought an idealscope in it looked to have really good light return,
Do you have this stone at hand ? If you do touch it again, try the same experiment with the diaond culet up.

I think your description might correspond to some weird optical effect (glare, or the reflection of some large even-colored object into the diamond - such as store wall or something, or some other thing that might have reduced the aparent contrast for a moment).

How about clarity ? HUGE amount of twinning, graining or something else might become apparent under not-so-bright light and obliterated under strong lighting. If the stone has higer clarity grade than SI2... just ignore this comment.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
In direct absolute sunlight a well cut stone won''t look it''s best. Many will look rather "confusing". Try it in indirect sunlight, low level lighting, etc.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. Valeria, actually we were standing in front of a stone wall, I had no idea that might affect the diamond. To include the rest of the stats, it is a VS2 and of F color. Next time I go to the jeweler I will try and get a look at it in indirect sunlight. Thanks again for all the replies and if anyone has any other tips feel free to post them.

-FTB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results