shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in Hong Kong

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Hi

I posted this in the old edition but can't find it - apologies if it is duplicated!

We are going to Hong Kong in a few weeks and are interested in buying a diamond here. We nearly made a purchase when we were there a few months back but financially it wasn't quite the right time. The deal we would have got was slightly better than buying online and of course I liked the fact I could see what I was getting. We plan to go back to the same shop but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a vendor there and also an appraiser to use as a safety net.

I feel really quite well informed due to all the knowledge I have gained on here - thank you for that!! Would you recommend getting an idealscope to take with us or will it be ok to go with the numbers and my naked eye?

Really hope someone can help me out, thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why purchase in HK when you can buy well cut diamonds for much better price in the U.S.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Hello, thanks for your reply. The reason is that we don't live in the US and so cannot benefit so much from the prices. I also like the idea of being able to see what I am buying first, I am not opposed to buying online and this is what we will do if we cannot find anything suitable in Hong Kong but the issue of returning internationally concerns me. Because we are going to Hong Kong anyway and we have seen that the diamonds there are of a similar price as the ones in the US this seems like a good idea for our situation. If we were going to the US I would definately be buying there but unfortunately we have no plans to make a trip there in the immeditate future.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you're looking for top cut quality I'd recommend visiting one of Chow Sang Sang's HK locations. They carry a high-quality signature H&A diamond and other Excellent cuts. It's important to know that cut quality can influence a diamond's price by a significant %, so be sure you're comparing apples to apples (cut quality) when it comes to pricing. TSL is another chain with a focus on cut quality.

You'll have an advantage in HK because most of the big local brands on the mainland don't sell or focus on top cut quality (yet...it's in-progress). Some of the HK-based chains are ahead in that regard.

sillysweetie

Rough_Rock
John Pollard said:
If you're looking for top cut quality I'd recommend visiting one of Chow Sang Sang's HK locations. They carry a high-quality signature H&A diamond and other Excellent cuts. It's important to know that cut quality can influence a diamond's price by a significant %, so be sure you're comparing apples to apples (cut quality) when it comes to pricing. TSL is another chain with a focus on cut quality.

You'll have an advantage in HK because most of the big local brands on the mainland don't sell or focus on top cut quality (yet...it's in-progress). Some of the HK-based chains are ahead in that regard.

Hi John, I'm actually living in Hong Kong and always wonder how what I'm seeing daily compares with what's recommended on PS. When you say Chow Sang Sang's H&A, do you mean their Love Diamond? How does it compare to branded H&A like ACA or BGD Signature?

Another thing I always wonder is the quality of the settings of local stores (Chow Sang Sang, TSL, Chow Tai Fook) since there's hugh price difference compared with what I'm seeing here (I mean cast settings, not handmade ones). It is due to lower cost of labour or the quality is really poor here? :confused:

Sorry for the threadkack.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. The diamond we looked at and nearly bought was in one of the smaller stores on Nathan Road but was certified by the tourist board and various other bodies which I believe is important when shopping there. The numbers looked good to me from the GIA cert and the diamond looked great to my eye. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or be careful of?
Does anyone know of an appraiser there?
With regards to the setting, I think this will most likely me a temp one so I am not too worried about the quality.
Thanks again for your help!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sillysweetie said:
Hi John, I'm actually living in Hong Kong and always wonder how what I'm seeing daily compares with what's recommended on PS. When you say Chow Sang Sang's H&A, do you mean their Love Diamond? How does it compare to branded H&A like ACA or BGD Signature?
The Love brand examples I saw were high in quality, and while it's impossible to judge a large production from a handful of samples there are authorities I respect who hold that brand in high regard.

Be wary of the term "H&A" which is used a lot like "ideal" in the US. The term has an association-with-quality but usage encompasses a wide range of quality and performance, depending on who is using it. IGI Hong Kong produces H&A grading reports and the top format includes actual H&A images taken in a standardized laboratory environment. For buyers specifically seeking "H&A" diamonds it's a well regarded document. The Love brand uses a version of this report, customized to maintain a slightly stricter set of proportions and precision requirements.
sillysweetie said:
Another thing I always wonder is the quality of the settings of local stores (Chow Sang Sang, TSL, Chow Tai Fook) since there's hugh price difference compared with what I'm seeing here (I mean cast settings, not handmade ones). It is due to lower cost of labour or the quality is really poor here? :confused:
Mass-production is always less costly than handmade/custom. I don't have enough experience with their settings to say decisively - I'd suggest you solicit opinions of local enthusiasts who share your desire for quality. I would also consider what kind of manufacturer's warranties, guarantees, etc. the pieces come with.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamonddream said:
Thanks for the information. The diamond we looked at and nearly bought was in one of the smaller stores on Nathan Road but was certified by the tourist board and various other bodies which I believe is important when shopping there. The numbers looked good to me from the GIA cert and the diamond looked great to my eye. Is there anything else I need to be aware of or be careful of?
Does anyone know of an appraiser there?
With regards to the setting, I think this will most likely me a temp one so I am not too worried about the quality.
Thanks again for your help!

Curious, did it have NGTC paper too? There is no way to provide further input without the numbers, which would give us only an imaginary outline, or performance-reflector images which are not much on the radar in HK and China right now, so very unlikely. If it looks great to your eye through a wide range of lighting conditions, compared to others of top pedigree that's most important.

As for an appraiser, I don't have a name in HK. The GIA has a school of gemology there and the IGI maintains a school and a grading laboratory. They are both in the same building in downtown HK. You might be able to ask one, or both, for a list of local appraisers who have been through the GG programs their schools of gemology offer - though policy may not allow them to make recommendations (?)

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help!
No it did not come with the papers you mentionned, is this important? I did a quick google search and found that this is a chinese test certificate, should I be looking for diamonds that come with this as well as their lab cert?
Just for reference, the diamond we were interested in (though this was a couple of months ago now and it is probably gone!) had the following numbers:

Crown: 34.5
Pavillion: 40.8
Table: 56
Depth: 60.8
Star: 50
Lower: 75
Girdle: Medium faceted
Medium Blue
Polish and Symm: very good.
1.05 ct, G, SI1

6.58x6.61x4.01

The total cost in a white gold setting was $5447 (give or take depending on the exchange rate at the time!!) We didn't manage to see it in daylight as we had looked at it quite late at night and the following day we decided not to go ahead with the purchase at that time but obviously that is something we will make sure we do when we go back. Do you think it would be wise to get an idealscope? I think I might post that in a new topic!

I will certainly contact the GIA and IGI there to see if they can recommend an appraiser, thank you for that suggestion!

Many thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock
diamonddream said:
Crown: 34.5
Pavillion: 40.8
Table: 56
Depth: 60.8
Star: 50
Lower: 75
Girdle: Medium faceted
Medium Blue
Polish and Symm: very good.
1.05 ct, G, SI1

These numbers look good. Who did the grading, GIA or IGI? Many of the pros here on PS seem to agree that IGI grading is a bit on the more liberal side.
If IGI did the grading then the "real" values my be lower: it may be an H SI2 by GIA or AGS standards.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
soontomarry2 said:
These numbers look good. Who did the grading, GIA or IGI? Many of the pros here on PS seem to agree that IGI grading is a bit on the more liberal side. If IGI did the grading then the "real" values my be lower: it may be an H SI2 by GIA or AGS standards.

Actually the loose diamond grading results at IGI's HK lab are widely considered on par with GIA. The "Hearts & Arrows" grading report from the HK lab is seen in much the same way that an AGS Ideal report is in the US.

I wrote two articles published in IDEX at the end of last year that people interested in differences and similarities between the US and China may enjoy. One was about consumers and the other about grading authorities over there. I've granted permission to PS to repost them here and expect them to be up before long.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Where are you actually from?

I found that HK prices were not better than online prices in North America.

erupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies.
The diamond above was graded by GIA, it is interesting to know that IGI there are of a higher standard, that will open other options for me as I had been planning to be only looking at GIA. I am in the UK so prices are much cheaper both in Hong Kong and the US for me. The thing that appeals to buying in Hong Kong is that I am actually going there so can see what I am buying. If this falls through and I don't find anything I like then I will go the online route!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results