shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds Direct Raleigh, NC

mickalia

Rough_Rock
I'm curious if anyone has any insight to Diamonds Direct? They have a few locations in NC, and I'd like to know a little more info on what they're about. Supposedly they have their own mine, and are considered a wholesaler, and have prices comparable to Blue Nile or James Allen. Just wondering if anyone has their own experience or insight to share. Thanks in advance!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mickalia- I can't comment on any particular seller, rather general information:
1) price- it's so easy to check! See what they charge for a given stone, and put it into the PS database to see what you can buy it for online.
2) in general- when a company claims to be selling wholesales, it's nothing more than a sales tactic.
You're buying one diamond, in a retail transaction. How is that wholesale?
I have not heard of any companies owning diamond mines that have retail sores- but anything is possible ( however unlikely)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have shopped at Diamonds Direct in Charlotte several times. There are few places with the massive number and variety of settings as they have. But when I diamond shopped there, they did not have GIA Excellent or AGS ideal cut diamonds in their stock in the size and price range I was looking for. I did go with a friend recently who was trading in a diamond previously purchased there, and she was able to have them call in a diamond from another supplier that was excellent cut. But I have bought all my diamonds from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash because they quality was superior and prices better than what I found at DD. It is most definitely not a wholesaler, and I would mainly go there to look at different styles of settings. They have 20% off sales from time to time and I would always ask if a sale is coming up before purchasing because they will sometimes go ahead and give you the 20% off on the setting or other piece of jewelry. I just wouldn't buy diamonds there, personally.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everything that RD posted. Telling consumers that they are getting a wholesale price is a gimmick. Online vendors are almost always able to offer their diamonds for less because they don't have the same overhead that BM stores do.

I think your smart to ask about them first. You'd be surprised how many posters ask questions after they've already made the transaction and can't do anything to correct it! I would compare their prices to other PS vendors, as RD suggested, but I'd also compare their other services as well. Can they give you magnified images of the stones? Ideal scope and Aset images? Do they do a gemological evaluation? What lab do they use for grading? Do you they have a buy back program? upgrade policy? Do they have a no questions asked return period? free shipping to and from? what type of warranty if any do they offer? Then take a look at IVouch and see what other customers are saying about them. Protect yourself from all angles and don't be afraid to ask them lots of questions and get all warranty and policies in writing before going ahead with any transaction!!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I went there last summer when looking at upgrading my ering and was also thinking about a pink diamond. Most diamonds they had were not GIA graded, but from the "easier" grading labs. They were very hard sell- 2 to 3 sales associates working on me. They brought in a few pink diamonds for me to look at and, not only were the prices ridiculous, but lots of dark carbon spots visible. I did not find it a pleasant experience,prices were not that good, and I would never go back.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have bought from them and had a great experience. DS and I have visited them together! They offer 20% off twice a year (October & April) and have a lifetime upgrade on jewelry. The sales staff were very nice, no pressure. I felt like my happiness was their top priority.

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
My husband bought my ER at DD, so I've been to the Charlotte store several times. No AGS, but there was a large selection of GIA excellents when I was there. I ran the numbers through the HCA to help narrow my choice and then went with my eyes. They let me take the stones outside and into a dark hallway so I could see the stones in different lighting conditions. (I never would have known to do this- glad I found PS first!) I was happy with a GIA excellent, but if you have your heart set on an AGS 0, you'll have to go elsewhere. My ring gets compliments all the time on how sparkly it is, so if you do your homework you can pick a nice stone without an idealscope; that just helps make the process easier.

This may have changed, but DD used to price match with anything comparable you found online, so I was able to have them match the lower online prices without a problem. Of course we had to pay taxes, but husband is a tax attorney so there was no way he was going to not declare that on our taxes, thus we were paying taxes no matter what. They definitely have a lifetime upgrade policy with no minimum purchase amount. I can't recall the warranty information.

We received excellent service there, but obviously others have had different experiences. If nothing else, they have a large selection and would be a good place to go and try on different shapes and settings.

mickalia

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies, this was exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for! :)
I figured I (or better, my beau and I) would at least go there to look/compare diff carat weights and stone dimensions, as well as color/shape preferences in person, mostly to get a true idea of what I like. Obviously the bigger in-house selection, the better. If they happen to have the perfect stone at a competitive price, then we'd consider buying there. And it'd be fun to play around with diff settings, too.
I was always under the impression GIA was the standard, and the way to go?
My co-workers brother bought his fiance's ring there, at the Raleigh store specifically, and loved his experience. Her ring, with the naked eye, was bright and sparkly and gorgeous. I guess this, plus y'alls feedback, is a green light to at least go LOOK. ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestion is to LOOK, but do not get carried away and buy. If they show you a diamond, ask for a copy of the GIA report and come here with the info on the report and the price. We will tell you honestly if it is a good buy or not. As I told you, my friend was able to get a nice stone there, but it was not a stone they had in stock. When I looked there for my own anniversary diamond 6 years ago, they simply did not have any GIA Excellent cut stones in the size and color range I wanted. Don't settle for less quality, and don't overpay if they do have a great stone. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results