shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond with a budget around €550

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just need your advice on the following. I’m looking for a diamond with a budget around €550. As I’m living in Belgium (Europe), it is cheaper to buy diamonds in a (online)shop which ships from Europe. If the shop ships from outside Europe, I have to pay taxes and duties, which makes the diamonds more expensive.

As a result of that, with my budget, it is not possible to use James Allen )and there wonderful pictures of diamonds) because of the simple fact it becomes too expensive. Blue Nile does ship there diamonds from Ireland so I went through their huge amount of diamonds. After checking more than 300 diamonds, I have been left with only two potential diamonds. (Color : above H, Cut: Ideal, Clarity: above VS1, Carat: above .2, Girdle: medium, Polish: excellent, Symmetry: excellent and Shape: round)

http://www.bluenile.com/nl/diamond-details/LD06262138

http://www.bluenile.com/nl/diamond-details/LD06261455

Do you have any remarks on this picked diamonds or suggestions to get a better diamond for the same price?

Thanks in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The links did not bring up stones for me...just the default front BN page.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA #1 - 1.7
HCA #2 - 1.7

I think VVS clarity in a stone of this size is over kill - I'd look at VS2 and SI1 in order to eek out a little more size.

Can you get idealscope images for these? Probably not since it's BN. The HCA look good on both; if it's down to just these 2 you could toss the dice really - I'd go with the 0.24 just because it is slightly bigger.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1443448363|3932727 said:
HCA #1 - 1.7
HCA #2 - 1.7

I think VVS clarity in a stone of this size is over kill - I'd look at VS2 and SI1 in order to eek out a little more size.

Can you get idealscope images for these? Probably not since it's BN. The HCA look good on both; if it's down to just these 2 you could toss the dice really - I'd go with the 0.24 just because it is slightly bigger.

Thanks for your reply. You are right, as it BN, I won't be able to get any images. On the other hand returning the diamond will cost me around €40 (insured), so that won't be a big problem.

I will take a look for a clarity lower than VS1 and see if I will get a bigger stone.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Meanwhile, I did some research regarding diamonds with a VS1 grading (or lower)but difference in price seems not that big, around €50 up to €100...

Keeping in mind Blue Nile doesn'nt provide any pictures, I think it is better to pay a little bit more for a VVS stone...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this size stone you'll never see a VS2 - VVS is seriously overkill.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 50-100 euro difference is 10-20% difference, that's a lot!

VVS won't be noticeable in a stone that is less than 4mm in size. It's a fairly small diamond and unless you have cultural reasons for wanting a perfect diamond I'd recommend spending that 50-100 euros in increasing the size. I have a 5mm diamond that's SI clarity and I cannot see the inclusions at all.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Rhea said:

Thank you for the suggestions!

What do you think about this one:

http://www.bluenile.com/nl/diamond-search?stockno=LD06302006

Little bit higher in price and an HCA 2.4, which is a little bit high...

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
ecf8503 said:
In this size stone you'll never see a VS2 - VVS is seriously overkill.

Agreed. It's also a lot harder to see colour differences.

HCA is too primitive compared to real life beauty of a stone so I would have no concern about going below 2.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
BelDia said:
What about an HCA-score of 2.4 ?

HCA is a very very loose measurement compared to how diamonds can look in real life as well as considering all the other parameters that HCA doesn't look at. 2.4 is more than OK from a numbers perspective, but worse scoring diamonds can easily be more pretty.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Well I think that left me no other option than just order the stone at Blue Nile and take a gamble as they don't provide any pictures and the other specs are quite ok:

Carat weight 0.30
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Colour G
Clarity VVS1
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 62.0%
Table % 57.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence Faint

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
No the clarity is way too high for that size stone. Drop down to a VS2...

Please don't think that am saying that measurements are pointless, they are a guide and this forum has hyper hyper strict / specific parameters.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BelDia -

I've been buying stones from Blue Nile pretty much since they started as a company. There's a photo somewhere on here where I laid out just some of my BN stone info packets - and that alone covered dozens of stones I've bought from them. I also collect BN diamonds in the .25 / .26 range, so I know a LOT about these stones from BN. So let me just say.....

You need color grade G or H and clarity grade SI1 or VS2. Anything else is a waste - and I mean a complete waste. I know this from buying exactly the stones you're considering from the same company for over a decade. I'd be definitely looking in the SI1 range. Pls keep in mind - a quarter carat stone is roughly 4mm across. It has dozens and dozens of facets - all tiny - and any inclusions at this size on an SI1 stone will be invisible to the naked eye.

If I were you, I'd be looking for something slightly more substantial. Quarter carat stones are very small, and something lovely and more substantial is well within your range. Try *this*:

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05093603

Same color, lower clarity, great stats, 561 pounds, WAY bigger - without being large by any definition, and a 1.4 on the HCA.

BelDia - I can only tell you that I really know what I'm talking about when it comes to the size stone you're considering and this company in particular. The above recommendation is a good one.

Good luck!

eyvind

Rough_Rock
BelDia- you'll not save any money depending from where BN is shipping. BN add VAT to the price in Europe which is more-less equal to tax/custom when buying from US. Also buying from US you'll have much wider choice (stones and settings).

BelDia

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1443797298|3934076 said:
BelDia -

I've been buying stones from Blue Nile pretty much since they started as a company. There's a photo somewhere on here where I laid out just some of my BN stone info packets - and that alone covered dozens of stones I've bought from them. I also collect BN diamonds in the .25 / .26 range, so I know a LOT about these stones from BN. So let me just say.....

You need color grade G or H and clarity grade SI1 or VS2. Anything else is a waste - and I mean a complete waste. I know this from buying exactly the stones you're considering from the same company for over a decade. I'd be definitely looking in the SI1 range. Pls keep in mind - a quarter carat stone is roughly 4mm across. It has dozens and dozens of facets - all tiny - and any inclusions at this size on an SI1 stone will be invisible to the naked eye.

If I were you, I'd be looking for something slightly more substantial. Quarter carat stones are very small, and something lovely and more substantial is well within your range. Try *this*:

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05093603

Same color, lower clarity, great stats, 561 pounds, WAY bigger - without being large by any definition, and a 1.4 on the HCA.

BelDia - I can only tell you that I really know what I'm talking about when it comes to the size stone you're considering and this company in particular. The above recommendation is a good one.

Good luck!

Hi mrs-blop, thank you for your reply, very helpful! Too bad your suggestion is slightly over budget.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
eyvind|1443800780|3934101 said:
BelDia- you'll not save any money depending from where BN is shipping. BN add VAT to the price in Europe which is more-less equal to tax/custom when buying from US. Also buying from US you'll have much wider choice (stones and settings).

Hi evyvind, thank your for your reply. I did some calculations and shipping from US will ad approximately 100-120 euro to the total price. That makes diamonds more expensive for me than buying at Blue Nile.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think your colour and clarity combination is overkill for a diamond of that size, but if matches all your criteria then there's no reason not to go for it. When I made suggestions above I only linked diamonds that I found that were below 2 on the HCA. If it were me, I'd go higher in carat weight and lower the clarity that you're for so that you aren't paying for something that you quite literally cannot see.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry BelDia - I thought you were talking pounds. But I gather you're talking euros.

Apart from the recommendation, everything I said re color and clarity remains true.

For recommendations, try this instead; it's in your price range (H SI1, .37ct) -

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05945357

But if you want what I suspect is a very nicely cut stone, with excellent cut stats, I'd try *this*. I know it's a J color, but I think you aren't familiar with how a J colored, well cut diamond of this size looks:

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD05882698

The above diamond is 30 euros above your budget, but you said you were willing to go a little higher. It's also back at .41ct, so a considerably larger size which would still sparkle it's little facets off! I also believe you'd find it to be suitably white in color.

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just want to thank you for all your suggestions and advice (especially the one to go for a VS2 stone) I finally made up my mind and decided to acquire the following stone:

Carat weight 0.30
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Colour G
Clarity VS2
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 61.0%
Table % 58.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 4.29 x 4.31 x 2.62 mm

GIA-report 2171004346

Can't wait to see the stone. :angel:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BelDia|1444030238|3934922 said:
Hi all,

Just want to thank you for all your suggestions and advice (especially the one to go for a VS2 stone) I finally made up my mind and decided to acquire the following stone:

Carat weight 0.30
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Colour G
Clarity VS2
Length/width ratio 1.00
Depth % 61.0%
Table % 58.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 4.29 x 4.31 x 2.62 mm

GIA-report 2171004346

Can't wait to see the stone. :angel:

I'm sure it'll be a great stone! What setting did you pick?

BelDia

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I didn't pick any setting. Diamond will be added to an existing ring.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The existing ring is still a setting. Please do show us your finished project!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi, just a note - Blue Nile also adds on taxes (and duties if applicable), the only difference is, they do it at checkout (you can see the breakdown of charges in your basket), whereas if ordering via James Allen (who ship free to Belgium) or another US retailer you pay the same taxes (and duties if applicable) to Fedex (or their nominated courier). If returning the stone, Blue Nile take care of the tax (and duty) refund, whereas with James Allen, you will have to apply to your government customs centre for the refund. It's pretty straightforward to do in the UK but not sure how it is in Belgium. As you are buying a round you are relatively safe with stats and without pictures. BN do ship from Ireland (and returns ship to Ireland) but the inventory gets there from around the world first (see the 'date' column - ships in 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 days refers to where the diamond is located and therefore, if you are buying from Europe, how long it takes to ship to Ireland and then out to you). To be ultra-safe buying sight unseen, a Signature Ideal BN round is a very good choice indeed (you can see the actual diamond on the GCAL report as well as detail of the symmetry of the pavillion facets) if within budget. If returning, be sure to call up BN for their shipping label (around 40 euro IIRC) and don't forget to ask for their extra insurance option. At least in the UK, shipping gemstones fully insured overseas is a path with many obstacles so it is more economical and expedient, from the UK at least, to do it their way. James Allen also do similar for a similar price.

As an example of a BN Sig Ideal, I don't know whether you are still even looking or can (or even want to) increase your budget by 70 euro, but this would be my first choice within your parameters. As a point of information, if you click on the GCAL report you can see an image of the diamond, as well as some information on its light performance and a view of the pavillion cutting. When using the HCA with a BN Sig Ideal, use the numbers on the GCAL report as they are more accurate than those on the GIA report.

http://www.bluenile.com/nl/diamond-search?stockno=LD05124127

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results