shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Stud Martini Setting vs Basket setting

lila1105

Rough_Rock
I am not too familiar with the 3 prong martini setting for diamond stud earrings. Is the 3 prong Martini setting as secure as the 4 prong basket setting? Any comments on the martini setting in general will be helpful.

Also, I would appreciate any comments on screw backs vs friction backs on earrings.

Also, does anyone know if Brian Gavin Diamonds offer any discounts.

sherryd

Rough_Rock
I have the martini setting and love it, they're very comfortable. The backs are friction type, I've owned the screw
backs and found them uncomfortable and very hard to put on and take off. Of course a four prong setting will be
more secure because of the extra prong, but it will make it seem more square in shape. The three prongs make the
diamond seem to float on the ear and really shows off the diamond to me. I found the show me the bling...show me
your stud earrings posts very helpful in my decision in what I ended up purchasing. Love looking at everyone elses bling! :love:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I think 3 prongs is fine for earrings, they aren't at risk like a ring would be. I insist on 9 prongs for rings. I second wat was said about friction backs being comfortable. I sleep with mine in my ears, and have no worries there.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are banging your head hard enough to knock a diamond out of a Martini mounting while wearing them as earrings, I suspect you are going to have more serious problems than having lost your diamond.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just prefer the look of 4 prongs over 3. Three makes it look like one is missing to me! I only like low set baskets, though, and I think BG does that. Friction backs are better because a threaded post will get more worn and eventually possibly have to be replaced. Plus they are so much easier to take on and off.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
lila1105|1388891336|3586494 said:
I am not too familiar with the 3 prong martini setting for diamond stud earrings. Is the 3 prong Martini setting as secure as the 4 prong basket setting? Any comments on the martini setting in general will be helpful.

Also, I would appreciate any comments on screw backs vs friction backs on earrings.

Also, does anyone know if Brian Gavin Diamonds offer any discounts.
It never hurts to ask BGD if they have any discounts for PS members. They seem to have sales semi-regularly. I bought my studs for 10% off (discount on the diamonds only, not the settings) during their most recent pre-Xmas sale.

I'm guessing that the next sale will be around Mother's Day, but it's completely possible that they'll have another before then.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
sherryd|1388893604|3586524 said:
I have the martini setting and love it, they're very comfortable. The backs are friction type, I've owned the screw
backs and found them uncomfortable and very hard to put on and take off. Of course a four prong setting will be
more secure because of the extra prong, but it will make it seem more square in shape. The three prongs make the
diamond seem to float on the ear and really shows off the diamond to me. I found the show me the bling...show me
your stud earrings posts very helpful in my decision in what I ended up purchasing. Love looking at everyone elses bling! :love:

ditto I am obsessed with my martini 2.41 studs. I had two other sets over 1 carat each in basket and I kept buying bigger and bigger backs so they would sit upright in my ears.

I know some PS prefer the baskets but I would go try them on in a store and see what you prefer.

also I hate the screw backs they are annoying.

I have friction and I also took a little plastic bead from cheap hanging earrings and placed them on the end of the friction just in case i pull a sweater over my head in a dressing room and the earring snags the plastic bead keeps them them going anywhere.

_13495.jpg

newearrings.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results