shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond sizes for earrings--combining different shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

I am looking for opinions/guidance in regard to some diamond earrings I want made. Currently I have a pair of diamond studs--52 + 53 pts each, 1.05 CTW--that I want to convert into dangling earrings; which would include purchasing a pair of pear shaped diamonds to hang from the studs (aka Oprah style).

My questions are:

a) Should I match the pear diamonds exactly in quality to that of my studs? (SI1, G, very fine make) or could there be some variability?
b) What size would be "appropriate" to hang from the 1/2 carat studs?
c) Should I upgrade to platinum mounts or keep them in w/g?
d) Should I consider earrings that I could wear as studs and just have the pears as add ons?
e) I LOVE yellow diamonds. But are (fancy) yellow pear stones considered serious jewellery, and not for everyday wear?

Thanking in advance for any and all input.
wavey.gif

cheers

Sharon

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
A) I would match the color and clarity...
B) I would go for about .25ct each (.50ctw)
C) If you like Platinum better, I would stay with it.
D) A Jeweler COULD possibly make them as add ons.
E) I LOVE
love.gif
Yellow Diamonds.... And I wouldn't mind wearing them everday...
naughty.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Interesting--I thought that the shape that "dangles" from the stud should be larger in size--or at least the same size.
Any other opinions?

slb

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... I'd have to go with "widest part of the pear should be at least as wide as the stud". Ideally, I'd aim for about 1/4-1/3 (maybe 1/2) bigger, proportionally. Then what shape the pear is exactly is up to you, but that's my guess on what I'd like.

Have you tried drawing these out for yourself on paper?

EDIT: oh, and the yellow sounds fine for me, if you love it. you can always "recycle" them into a pendant or ring later on, if you decide you want to go "all white" on the earrings.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
oooops... I thought you wanted the pears on the top and have the rounds dangle......
twirl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, you may want to consider a design that allows you to wear the round studs sans the dangle. Shouldn't be hard to do - just to allow you flexiblity.

Good luck. Yes, I agree that the width of the pear should be at least the width of your .50 rounds.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2004 4:26:15 PM fire&ice wrote:

Also, you may want to consider a design that allows you to wear the round studs sans the dangle. Shouldn't be hard to do - just to allow you flexiblity.

Good luck. Yes, I agree that the width of the pear should be at least the width of your .50 rounds.
----------------

I think I've heard folks refer to this as a "jacket", not sure though. It is not uncommon to do.

Good luck finding a reasonably matched pair of FY stones 1-3 cttw. Let me know if you come up with a good source. I have had no such luck except for a pair of fancy intense 2 cttw at $16k, more than we wanted to spend.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Diamonds by Lauren (ebay) always has nice colored stones--it is a place to start looking. I cannot afford the cost of fancy intense stones, although I'd love to own some!!!

cheers

slb

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2004 7:06:37 PM elmo wrote:

----------------

Good luck finding a reasonably matched pair of FY stones 1-3 cttw. Let me know if you come up with a good source. I have had no such luck except for a pair of fancy intense 2 cttw at $16k, more than we wanted to spend.----------------

Hey, Gemesis does them, and I know they sell pairs, but I think there's some surcharge if they cut you matchd ones. I think Takara Diamonds sells cultured yellows as well.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Canuk-gal, let us know if you decide on yellow and find a nice pair. My usual jeweler could only find the FIY pair, then I contacted the folks like DBL that specialize in this looking for straight FY but with no luck.

Chialea, the gemesis suggestion is very good because you'd get a nice pair nicely cut, but we'd want natural.

p.s. Don't tell me Oprah has something like this, I might change my mind
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

If sold, Oprah's earrings could wipe out some developing countries debt!!!!!
Real spankers!!!!
9.gif

slb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results