shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Re cut?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
My original ER princess cut diamond is chipped on the girdle midway between the points. Who knows how I managed to do that- I don't really do much that I would have thought would chip a diamond!! It's a fairly deep gouge as I can see it without a loupe, however I hadn't noticed it pre Pricescope days-so it's not that blatant!! Anyway, I've had it just sitting in a my vault and haven't decided what to do with it- but now that I know the chip is there-it really bugs me. So, suggestions on who to send a princess cut to? Anyone know if Brian Gavin will work with a princess cut? It's slightly over a carat, G, VS1 so I think it may be worth while to get it fixed. What do you all think?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
OK- it looks like BGD does cut princess diamonds so I'll talk with them tomorrow. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its insured I would start over with a new stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does GOG also do recuts?? Seems to me I think I recall reading that a while ago... Hope i'm not misleading you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1376242838|3500819 said:
Does GOG also do recuts?? Seems to me I think I recall reading that a while ago... Hope i'm not misleading you!

yes they do! :wavey:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1376239766|3500780 said:

AprilBaby, I don't think my insurance company would replace my diamond because of a little chip. I think they would likely ask me to send it to their"jewelers" to polish off the chip. I'm not sure I want to place a claim for something as small as this when they would likely raise my rates for my much more expensive pieces.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1376243202|3500828 said:
Enerchi|1376242838|3500819 said:

yes they do! :wavey:

thanks Enerchi and Niel !! I will also give GOG a call and see what they suggest. I need to take a picture tomorrow.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1376251684|3500908 said:

AprilBaby, I don't think my insurance company would replace my diamond because of a little chip. I think they would likely ask me to send it to their"jewelers" to polish off the chip. I'm not sure I want to place a claim for something as small as this when they would likely raise my rates for my much more expensive pieces.

You might as well call and inquire. They won't raise your rates for a question!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1376252862|3500918 said:
pinkjewel|1376251684|3500908 said:

You might as well call and inquire. They won't raise your rates for a question!

OK- you both have convinced me to call and see what they say. =)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I've taken pictures of the chip and I think it's worse than I thought. It looks like it goes in fairly deep and will totally mess up the lines of the diamond-I don't think it can be polished out :nono:

I called my insurance company and got a rather non helpful person,but upon pressing her she basically said I could take it to a local place and have it fixed and submit a claim OR I'd need to send it to them for their analysis of whether it could be fixed. I have a feeling that would take awhile.

I talked with someone at BGD who said I'd need to send it to them for analysis before they would comment. I asked if they could look at pictures and give me an idea, but she said "no". Soooo, not really sure what I want to do.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the chip if anyone has an opinion.

diamond_chip7.jpg

diamond_chip.jpg

diamond_chip1.jpg

diamond_chip3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results