shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond preference for young v/s older people

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
On a previous thread, the poster mentioned he was told a diamond was eye clean at 3 inches!! Is it really possible they said 3 inches away? Gosh, what kind of a focal distance do you young kids have? ANY diamond would look "eye clean" to me at 3 inches away as they look like fuzzy blotches of white stuff!!!! I am lucky to distinguish between rock, diamond, finger--(I cheat--I go by the color-LOL)

Which brings me to the question of should an older person be looking for a different diamond than a young one, or does it really matter that much. I''ve sent my money in for a WF diamond, so I am not really looking to change my mind, but what the heck, I''m still interested in the topic. My diamond is .9 on HCA does that tell me anything?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think getting an ideal cut diamond is the best choice regardless of age! Heck, I can''t see the inclusions with my eyes, but I still like VS clarity just as a quality issue!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Well, I realize I have confused myself--it is not eyeclean I am interesed in, it is the concept that older people like a different diamond than younger becasue their focal distance has changed. I tried searching but couldn't get a succinct enough term to get anything helpful. Fill in the blanks for me: Younger people prefer a ____________ diamond and older people prefer a _________ diamond. Does shallower and deeper fit in here? Edited to say I know the difference may be minimal when it comes to actually purchasing a diamond and thinking "what a pretty diamond", I am just interested in the technical aspect for "academic" reasons.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
all i care about is the sparkle, so inclusions don''t really bother me. of course, i don''t want inclusions that are so large or dispersed that they impact the diamond performance (that would be a whole heckofalotta inclusions!) but a small crystal or feather does not bother me at all. i think much of the perception that people have about inclusions comes from the days when that was the only real, tangible indication of quality. cut grading (the true measure of diamond performance) has only recently been put on the forefront as an indication of quality and will take awhile to be understood. until the word about cut quality spreads, the majority of the population will be looking for high color and clarity as the ''best''.

enjoy your new diamond, whatever clarity it is! please share pics when you get it!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 11:14:41 AM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Well, I realize I have confused myself--it is not eyeclean I am interesed in, it is the concept that older people like a different diamond than younger becasue their focal distance has changed. I tried searching but couldn''t get a succinct enough term to get anything helpful. Fill in the blanks for me: Younger people prefer a ____________ diamond and older people prefer a _________ diamond. Does shallower and deeper fit in here?
i don''t think you can generalize young and old as having different preferences. different people, no matter what the age have different preferences.

perhaps that is not really what you are getting at though... are you trying to decipher garry''s ''younger people and older people'' areas on the hca chart?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, as you said in your first post, your focal distance is farther away so you are probably going to be holding your hand out at arms length to admire your ring. those that haven''t yet experienced the joys of presbyopia (far sightedness due to age) will hold their rings at a much closer distance to observe them. the differences between holding a diamond close where your head has potential to obstruct the light and that of holding it far away where there is no obscuration plays a part in how a diamond will look. some diamonds, depending on the angles (of the diamond) may perform better under the conditions of obscuration and others may look better without any at all. these are really minor details in the small world of well cut diamonds and ones that may not ever really matter to you but they give you options and ideas of what *might* be a good diamond for your viewing purposes.
personally for me, if it''s well cut and well priced, i''ll consider it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Vs myself and would want it eye clean at 3". In fact I prefer ALMOST loupe clean. I''ll be 37 in a couple weeks so I don''t know if I''m younger or older LOL But even if my eyes were totally shot, there''s always thinking about great aunt gladys and her pincer sharp eyes AND judgment.... maybe I don''t have one or wouldn''t worry about it, but some do consider what *others* can see as well as themselves.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 11:14:41 AM
Author: HappyAnniversary
Well, I realize I have confused myself--it is not eyeclean I am interesed in, it is the concept that older people like a different diamond than younger becasue their focal distance has changed. I tried searching but couldn''t get a succinct enough term to get anything helpful. Fill in the blanks for me: Younger people prefer a ____________ diamond and older people prefer a _________ diamond. Does shallower and deeper fit in here? Edited to say I know the difference may be minimal when it comes to actually purchasing a diamond and thinking ''what a pretty diamond'', I am just interested in the technical aspect for ''academic'' reasons.
I think you''re out of lucky - I see young folk like SI diamonds and I see "older" folk like VS diamonds - and vice versa. I see young and old thinking clear must be better and I see both thinking big must be better.... I don''t think you''re going to find ENOUGH proof to form a fill in the blank generalization here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2007 12:26:24 PM
Author: Pyramid
Did you see this chart, from the Holloway Cut Advisor

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp
That is simply a hypothesis made by someone but I don''t see that it has any broad acceptance since I have never heard it anywhere else. I prefer ideal cut stones because I value high quality and they are beautiful. Are very good cut diamonds beautiful? Of course, plenty of the time they are! But my personal preference is to buy the best cut, color, and clarity I can in the size range I am looking for. Cut is the most important, but as the price chart confirms, the higher the color and clarity within a cut category, the more expensive and rare, the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought...most of us buy diamonds with the intent on keeping them for many years, so it seems apparent to me that one might own diamonds over a period where they are both young and old! So it is only logical to buy the best diamond one can afford and not base it on the age of their eyes at the time!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Go for the better clarity and get yourself a pair of eyeglasses so you can enjoy your diamond!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I often stare into my diamonds at very close ranges, probably around 2-3 inches. I looove looking at them like this. Then I pull my hand away and view the sparkles from about 2 feet.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2007 2:43:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I often stare into my diamonds at very close ranges, probably around 2-3 inches. I looove looking at them like this. Then I pull my hand away and view the sparkles from about 2 feet.
I do the same thing
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think the question should be... myopic or presbyopic?

i am tremendously myopic, which makes diamonds and pearls fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results