shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond not a diamond but Moissanite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
O.K. so I''ve been lurking for awhile and gathering all kinds of great info!

I have a wedding band that I''m currently upgrading. It was custom made 9 years ago and DH said I could have my solitare and all the stones replaced. I have 12 blue sapphires and a row of 5 white sapphires + 1 small diamond (we thought this was a white sapphire too until we had the ring appraised and find out one of the white s. was really a diamond.

So I took my ring to the jewelry store last week who actually custom made my ring 9 yrs ago. for a quote on what it would be for labor costs on replacing the stones. I talked the guy at the store and he was talking to me about my white s. and that if I was going to replace the stones I should upgrade them to diamonds. I agree. I said I would only need the 5 since the other was a diamond. The guy said that the little diamond was really a Moissanite. And I said I had the diamond tested (and I mean with the diamond "thingy" that they hold over the diamond and the light turned green) Sorry, for not being more knowledgable there. But also my appraisal says there is one small diamond. And I have the cut, color, etc. on the paperwork. His response, "well, they must have lied to you." I''m like what did you say???? He''s says, "well it doesn''t really matter anyways." I''m like, "yeah, it does"

Would a diamond test like Moissanite or vice versa?

Thank you for any help

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2005 4:46:13 PM
Author:LittleRock

Would a diamond test like Moissanite or vice versa?
Some old diamond testers can't tell these part.... but I mean old.

Under the circumstances, I would bet on a honest mistake from either jewelry shop.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ana,

Who're you calling old? Some of us old diamond testers can tell the difference. We just have t use the right bifocals.

Littlerock,

Synthetic moissonite became commercialy available in 1998. It sounds like your ring predates that so I think it's pretty unlikely that you have a moissonite.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2005 4:46:13 PM
Author:LittleRock

His response, ''well, they must have lied to you.''

Now THAT''S great salesmanship.

Like Neil points out, the chances of that stone being a moissanite are pretty slim. Take a look at the credentials of the appraiser, and then Mr. Tactfulness. If the appraiser is a gemologist and Mr. T. is not, I wouldn''t put much stock in his opinion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2005 5:05:15 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Ana,

Who''re you calling old? Some of us old diamond testers can tell the difference. We just have t use the right bifocals.
Oh, good joke ! It is not "whom" but "what"
38.gif

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the replies....I knew I didn''t have "sucker" written on my forehead
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results