shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond newbie requesting advice on 2 gemscan stones

2000gt

Rough_Rock
I am a self professed newbie looking for some advice on two things, but first a little background. After deciding I wanted to purchase an engagement ring, I went to a close family friend whom I trust to get some ideas on diamonds as he has been a diamond jeweler for over 25 years. He helped me understand the 4c's and suggested I go out to a few jewelry stores and do some online research.
After deciding on a round stone around 1ct after viewing stones from Tiffany's, local jewelers and all the way to Costco to get ideas. I decided to call my family friend up to get some pricing on stones he would recommend.

My two questions are:

1. The stones in question have Gemscan certs - Is this a red flag? Despite my concerns, the jeweler stands behind Gemscan and has been using them for over 25 years.

2. Stone details:

Stone 1: Round Brilliant Cut
weight - 1.05ct
clarity - SI2
color - F
cut - Excellent
dimensions - 6.56 x 6.47 X 4.04mm
depth % 62.3
table % 59.4
crown % 15.0 crown angle 36.0
pavilion % 44.1 pavilion angle 41.4
cutlet % 0.0 0.00mm

Stone 2: Round Brilliant Cut
weight - 1.05ct
clarity - SI2
color - H
cut - Excellent
dimensions - 6.64 x 6.56 X 4.01mm
depth % 60.9
table % 54.9
crown % 14.5 crown angle 32.6
pavilion % 43.6 pavilion angle 41.1
cutlet % 0.1 0.01mm

Stone 2 scores much better on the https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca tool.

There is approximately $400 Canadian dollars separating these diamonds. Which is the better of the two, and is it justified for the $$?

The diamond will be seated in a simple solitaire for the proposal, then with her input I will have the band redone to her specification.

Thank you for your input.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Neither are well cut diamonds so I'd be inclined to pass on both. And I would only rely on GIA or AGS certs. Diamonds certified by these two carry a higher premium for a reason.

2000gt

Rough_Rock
solgen|1441309132|3923256 said:
Neither are well cut diamonds so I'd be inclined to pass on both. And I would only rely on GIA or AGS certs. Diamonds certified by these two carry a higher premium for a reason.

How are you defining "well cut"? For someone who has very little experience, can you tell me what I should be looking for?

craiguk

Rough_Rock
Most likely referring to the proportions of the stone. If you have a little look through some other requests for help in the RockyTalk section people often list the proportions that you should look for. I'd also make yourself familiar with the HCA tool which helps to weed out poor performing stones.

2000gt

Rough_Rock
craiguk|1441319082|3923324 said:
Most likely referring to the proportions of the stone. If you have a little look through some other requests for help in the RockyTalk section people often list the proportions that you should look for. I'd also make yourself familiar with the HCA tool which helps to weed out poor performing stones.

Thank you for your response. I ran both stones through the tool and the second stone came up much better than the first. The results are:

light return: excellent
fire excellent: excellent
scintillation: very good
spread: very good

Total Visual Performance: 1.3 - Excellent within TIC range.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
SI2 will likely not be eye-clean. Also without a GIA plot, how do you know what other flaws it has? i.e. feathers, pinpoints, etc. Some of these could point to durability issues.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Please not another family friend they never are when it comes to making money those stones are not good proportions (and I am not an expert)

Tell us your budget inc taxes blah blah and the PS family will find you a great diamond.

2000gt

Rough_Rock
Sphene|1441377921|3923560 said:
Please not another family friend they never are when it comes to making money those stones are not good proportions (and I am not an expert)

Tell us your budget inc taxes blah blah and the PS family will find you a great diamond.

Well, the H stone in question is running at 7k Canadian all in. What do you recommend, and thank you for your time.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7k including a setting? What kind of setting do you want? And in what metal?

2000gt

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1441391616|3923654 said:
7k including a setting? What kind of setting do you want? And in what metal?

7K CAD inclusive of tax, shipping etc for diamond only. It will sit in a solitaire most likely.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
2000gt|1441595291|3924504 said:
Bump for help...

So you have a budget of $7k CDN and you want a 1ct RBC that is eye clean. But do you have a desired color range? You were looking at F and H so a G could be a good compromise though an H might be white enough.

1ct H say VS2-SI1 for $7k CDN sounds pretty feasible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results