shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Measurements-Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am new to this site. I just bought a diamond and I would like some feedback and how good a diamond it is and if it was a good deal. I purchased a 1.04 round diamond, F SI2. The measurements are 6.58 x 6.51 x 3.95. I paid roughly 5,000 for it. Thanks for your help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... judging only color, clarity, weight and size would not pinpoint a price. Does this stone have a lab report ? By whom ? How about the rest of measurements...

Anyway, it is always feasible to run a search and see what similar diamonds are sold for. From what I see, prices run from $2000 for one piece of the same specs you quoted, to $5500 or so for 1ct, F, SI2 H&A cut. There is no knowing what did the bottom of the list do wrong to deserve the quote.

From what I see, your stone better be darn close to the best possible cut to deserve the price.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
i beleive it is certified by the European one. How could I tell how good the cut is? I also know it has no flouresence.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell how good the diamond is just by the measurements provided?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Well...from the data you provided, this is what one can tell.

It is a good color. The diamond should be pretty white if it is correctly graded. The reason Valeria asked who certified was that some labs grade hard and some labs grade soft. So, one lab could grade a low E as being an F and another could grade a high G as a low F, it just depends.

SI2 clarity will mean that it is slightly included. This means that it could and most probably will (although some people have found SI2''s to be eye clean) have inclusions that are visible to the naked eye. You need to know where these inclusions are to see if they pose any durability issues.

The proportions of widthxheightxdepth that you gave indicate that the diamond has a depth of 60.3% and thus will look like a "true" 1 carat.

In order to know if this stone is an "ideal" performer, you need to provide more information. Mainly:

Table %
Pavilion Angle
Crown Angle
Crown height
Girdle thickness

So...with the info that you gave, these are the only answers that can be provided.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your help. The certification is being mailed to me and I know its European. Is that a good cert? As soon as I get the other info I will post again. I appreciate your help.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
No Prob RJO. I''m not sure i''ve ever seen a European cert? So I am not sure if I can say if it is good or bad. Where did you get the diamond from?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea what is an European cert... could be from EGL, HRD... a hundred other appraisal businesses. Whatever it is, ti would still be lesser priced than some similar paper from GIA or AGS.
7.gif

Or the word may mean that this is a "european cut" diamond - meaning an older and cheaper breed of rounds.

In one word: no, that is no bargain.

The scarce stats you were provided with also say that this is not an ideal cut (those come with far more paper than their weight!) and the price is high endl. At least comparing with whatever online sellers quote.

rjo1979

Rough_Rock
Sorry but I do not know much about diamonds, hence why i am here. i bought the diamond from a relative, she is in the business. i know it is certified but she did not have a copy with her because her source just got the diamond that day. she said she would mail the cert papers and then i assume i will have more info. it is very white and ver brilliant. as far as the clarity, is is clean to the naked eye. under magnification i could only see a small feather in the diamond.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Normally.. ideal cut diamonds come with the certificate whether it was sourced that day or not. I wouldn''t have paid for a diamond until I actually *saw* the certificate and brought it home with me. The price does not seem like a bargain price (for the clarity/color/certification, you could have done better for the amount you spent), especially since it came from a relative in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results