shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Help!

tgoodwin218

Rough_Rock
I recently made a purchase of a diamond which turned out to be off color (tinted brown was what the customer service said) and they have offered me a different diamond at nearly the same price as the first. I'm a little bit concerned with the cavity in the GIA report but it is listed third on the clarity characteristics.

The diamond is going into a thin(2mm or so) pave diamond engagement band in white gold. I just want it to look great for my future fiance (fingers crossed)!

Will this diamond look as great as I think? Are cavities easily hidden by the prongs? What would a fair price be for a diamond like this? Any and all opinions would be great!

https://d1om0j4oq55t4.cloudfront.ne...73__round_excellent_cut_i_si1_certificate.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tgoodwin218|1416947965|3790398 said:
I recently made a purchase of a diamond which turned out to be off color (tinted brown was what the customer service said) and they have offered me a different diamond at nearly the same price as the first. I'm a little bit concerned with the cavity in the GIA report but it is listed third on the clarity characteristics.

The diamond is going into a thin(2mm or so) pave diamond engagement band in white gold. I just want it to look great for my future fiance (fingers crossed)!

Will this diamond look as great as I think? Are cavities easily hidden by the prongs? What would a fair price be for a diamond like this? Any and all opinions would be great!

https://d1om0j4oq55t4.cloudfront.ne...73__round_excellent_cut_i_si1_certificate.jpg

Post the info on the original stone?

tgoodwin218

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately they have deleted the original order and I can't find the item # in any of the old emails! That said, I'm more concerned with this new diamond!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for pictures and Ideal Scope or ASET.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tgoodwin218|1416949610|3790411 said:
Unfortunately they have deleted the original order and I can't find the item # in any of the old emails! That said, I'm more concerned with this new diamond!

We need more information to help you.

There's nothing wrong with this stone, from the report. Recent report, numbers are fine, it's a reputably graded SI1 so you can be certain the inclusions aren't concerns re. structural stability. Can't speak to visibility of the inclusions, and it's a sizeable high-crown/shallow-pavilion stone so the cavity in the middle of the LGF will probably be a PITA to cover with a 4- or 8-prong setting (but you'll be fine with 6 prongs).

Your original post raised some questions - this diamond is a replacement for your first, right? What colour grade was your first diamond? A GIA I will NOT be "dingy", or "brown", regardless of what the body colour is - and GIA won't notate that D-Z colour grade is due to brown until K, so I want to know who is making this judgment and recommending an alternate stone to whatever you chose.

Also, this new stone is reported to have strong blue fluorescence. Some view it as a feature, some find it undesirable - either way it's worth having your vendor confirm that A) fluor is in fact strong (GIA fluor grading can be... unpredictable...) and B) there are no ill-effects.

Fair price depends entirely on who you're buying from and where you're buying. An online drop-shipper will obviously charge a lot less for the same stone than a physical operation on street level on 47th in NYC, and there's a whole lot in-between... and that doesn't factor in other considerations like generous trade-in/upgrade/buyback policies, extra information the vendor may or may not offer, the possibility of having a setting made at the same time and saving a little on the total...

tgoodwin218

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all the information Yssie!

The original stone was very similar to the second diamond. 1.52 carats I color 3x excellent SI1. I am purchasing online and they had told me their vendor had informed them of the "noticiable brown tinge". They offered to still send it and I could return it after 90 days and also gave me recommendations on a few other diamonds (including the one I'm interested in). Instead of having them ship the original I decided to move on to this diamond! The costumer service has ensured me that the diamond is eye clean which was important to me and I will really inspect it when I receive it!

Based on looking all over the web at other sites I feel as though I'm paying a fair price and was just hoping for some opinions of PS members! I have a general idea about diamonds from researching online but certainly not as knowledgable as you! I'll be sure to ask about the fluorescence and will also see if I can get pictures of the stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results