shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Experts Unite!! My ideal diamond hunt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Very new to PS and hoping to get the help that most in store jeweler''s dont want to provide... I was suggested to put this hear by another member so here goes:

I am looking for the best .75ish ct. Princess cut for the buck.

I am not looking for the dirt cheapest diamond out there but the total package. I have found a lot of diamonds on sites like bluenile.com, engagement rings direct, james allen, gemnation.com, shenoadiamonds.com, scheinerdiamonds.com, diamondsafe.com. Whiteflash doesnt have anything in my narrowed price range. If the experts speak and say I cant get what I want... Ill bend but here are the parameters for all of my searching.

PLEASE THROW IN LAYMAN TERM SUGGESTIONS. Talking over my head is just wasting your finger''s dead skin cells... haha

.75ct (+/- .05) Princess Cut
D-G Color
SI2+ Clarity

Ideal/Excellent Cut

Ideal Table = 62% - 68%

Ideal Depth = 64% - 75%
Girdle: Thin - Slightly Thick
Ratio: 1.00-1.05
Polish: Good+ (prefer VG+)
Symmetry: Good+ (prefer VG+)
Price:
I have probably found atleast 2 dozen diamonds to fit this. Now I still do not fully understand how different a diamond''s brilliance is going to be at each percentage of the D and T. I just want the most brilliance and quality for my money.

I am also looking for a long standing reputation with 30 day return policy and guarantee...

Shoot me down if this isnt realistic but I know there are so many intelligent members that I appreciate all of your help.

Examples:

Bluenile.com
.78 / F / SI2 / D=71.1 / T=69 / P=EX / S=VG / G=Tn-M / GIA Cert = $2013

gemnation.com
.75 / F / SI1 / D=69.9 / T=71 / P=VG / S=G / G=M-STk / GIA Cert = $2080

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, for $2.2K, you aren''t going to find anything well cut within the colour range you provided. I''d suggest either getting a smaller stone or going down in colour to include I and possible a J.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
this one from james allen for approx $1800
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=1001790

this xfactor for approx 1990 from WF
http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-9.htm

gorgeous one from WF for approx $2K
http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-22633.htm

I used this tool to find these .http://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

Hope that helped and Welcome to Pricescope.
9.gif
35.gif

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
I have two examples listed above...

Like I said... I can stretch a bit. Im even finding .70-.72ct on Whiteflash meeting my requirements...

Im just asking for people who might know where I can find a great deal from time to time. Every jeweler Ive spoke with admits good deals come along all the time.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like the last one I posted???? I think it is purdy
3.gif
and a great price imo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2007 2:40:31 PM
Author: phiberoptik
Im just asking for people who might know where I can find a great deal from time to time. Every jeweler Ive spoke with admits good deals come along all the time.
Define a "good deal". Everyone is in the business to make money. The only reason online prices are a bit less is because they have less overhead costs.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Wowzers Skippy.... nice finds... I am not familiar with the x-factor... does it typically have more brilliance because of the corners being cut off?

The last one is amazing...

I am kind of loading my gun a bit early though. I wont be budgeted for this purchase until October. I just want to get my P''s and Q''s in order.

Does anyone know any good jewelers in the Cincinnati Ohio area??

Worth a shot.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 2:46:30 PM
Wowzers Skippy.... nice finds... I am not familiar with the x-factor... does it typically have more brilliance because of the corners being cut off?

The last one is amazing...
I like the X factor and the last one; those are good ones. Good luck and best wishes.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The x factor is Whiteflash''s branded cut of Princess cut stones with the corners clipped off. I like these because those thin corners are really iffy - prone to chipping. But in terms of brilliance and sparkle, they are comparable to AGS0 princess cut stones.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono, what is your avatar??? It is beautiful!!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2007 2:50:14 PM
Author: Skippy123
Chrono, what is your avatar??? It is beautiful!!!
30.gif
Thank you Skippy. It''s a Jubilee: http://www.jubileecut.com/index.html I purchased it from GOG but it has been out of production for the past year or 2 now. Some red tape thing is currently being ironed out now as they are looking for someone to cut them again.

Sorry for the thread hijack. Back to your regular princess cut programming.
1.gif

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if any of the online guys offer financing? Thats the huge plus to the local guys. The problem is, its hard to go searching for someone who wants to give you a 0% interest credit card...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we're not really supposed to talk about that, since it's like...a special offer.

so you'd have to check out the policies on their website.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 4:56:56 PM
Does anyone know if any of the online guys offer financing? Thats the huge plus to the local guys. The problem is, its hard to go searching for someone who wants to give you a 0% interest credit card...

Dude, please...dont buy a diamond on credit and go into hock over it! It''s just not worth it. If you cant afford to buy a quality/size you really want now, make sure you buy from a place where they have a trade up policy so you can trade up in the future. Also, make sure you know the details of the trade up policy because some aren''t all that great. One B&M I know offers such a policy on diamonds but you have to spend at least double the initial price in order to trade up. So make sure you know what the policy is. The online folks here are very established...If you buy from a B&M, make sure its a place that isn''t going anywhere any time soon...

Oh, and if you can get a smaller X factor, DO. Lovely stones!

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
It is hard for me to believe that everyone out there is buying with cash. Zero percent financing is a great way to get something you want when you need it and not having to wait for all the money. Frankly I have enough bills that it would take longer for me to save the total amount than I prefer. Thats like saying... you cant get engaged until you have enough money to... please.

Thank you again Skippy123. Great finds. I just wish I was buying NOW and not down the road. Appreciate the replies!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, save and come back and I will be happy to help along w/other PS''ers!
9.gif
You are very welcome.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Financing is OK if you pay your credit card bill in full every month, but please don''t go into debt over a diamond! We''re not saying don''t get engaged until you have a certain amount, just change your diamond criteria a bit. If you can''t afford the full amount now, consider buying a smaller diamond now and upgrading later. This of course requires buying from a vendor with a good upgrade policy, namely Whiteflash or Good Old Gold. (Blue Nile unfortunately does not have one.) Whiteflash has some really nice ACA princesses and X-factors in the 0.5ct range for about $1000. I do think a lot of people around here pay cash, because if you pay in full by bank wire, you get a pretty substantial discount at the PS vendors (5% on ACAs at WF!). That''s what my fiance did.

I like the stones Skippy posted, but I worry about the eye-cleanness of the H/SI2 ACA princess (see that big inclusion in the middle?), so ask them about it if you''re considering that stone. The G/SI1 ACA that Chrono posted looks very nice. And in general, ACA princesses are really incredible stones. I have one and I can''t stop staring at it. The X-factor looks great too. X-factors are nice because they perform pretty much as well as AGS0 princesses (because they''re all cut to very high standards), but they face up a tiny bit larger and are more durable.

Also, I''d consider broadening your search to include H and I colors. I''ve found that I color can be a really nice deal, since a well-cut stone will still face up white, but the price gap between H and I is substantial. My ACA princess is an I. Now, you may be more color-sensitive than I am, and you may prefer the higher colors, but if you won''t go all the way to I, at least check out H! If you didn''t search for H, you wouldn''t have seen the beautiful stones Skippy posted.

Finally, with regard to depth and table, these numbers are far less exact for princess and other fancy cuts than they are for rounds. You really have to see pictures, idealscope/ASET images, or look at the stone in person to judge how brilliant the stone will be. Also, pretty much and AGS0 princess will look good...you don''t have to go for an AGS-graded stone, but it makes the process a little easier.

AJ

Rough_Rock
Hey phiberoptik, I really like that ACA from the list above...I''m no diamond expert, just got on the forum last week, but I had a chance to sit down with the folks over at Whiteflash for about 2.5 hours last week and fell in love with the ACA Princess Cut I bought...it is great and the one your looking at is right in your range, I was in your shoes, I had my budget and wanted some bang for my buck and I tell you, that ACA Princess is some shinning star, it sparkles so brilliantly!!! I''m a fan!

Now an technical analysis, I''m worthless
9.gif

bacid

Rough_Rock
don''t settle for a low quality B&M diamond just because you need financing.

if you are in the USA it is very easy to get 0% for 12-15mth deals.

however, i would not suggest financing this type of purchase because god knows how many other bills will be coming your way when you have to start planning out a wedding (assuming you plan on doing this soon).

check out exceldiamonds.com , i bought mine from them and am quite happy with the price/service.... i haven''t seen it in person yet but that will happen next month!

as for your statement on "hard for me to believe everyone out there is buying with cash".. well, maybe the generalization is right and americans live on credit, but i don''t see how a purchase of <5k should be on credit! especially something like this which is not considered a "need" , but rather a "want".

i personally paid cash for mine and would suggest you do the same. assuming you have a decent job it''s not hard to save a few hundred bucks a month.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results