shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond decided! Which of these two settings?

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

Now that I have located a diamond from Whiteflash, I need to figure out which setting to get. Unfortunately, the closest Whiteflash setting to the one my gf apparently likes (going off a picture her friend sent her a while back) isn't exactly what I'm looking for. As such, I'm debating whether to get an option from BlueNile and having Whiteflash set the diamond. This would require that Whiteflash supply the head for the ring and resize it from 3.75 to 4. Also, once work is done on the ring, I wouldn't be able to return it to Blue Nile if I don't ultimately like the finished product.

Below are the two options. What I specifically don't like about the Whiteflash ring is the "W" on the prongs that hold the solitaire stone. I'm also not wild about how the stones are sort-of crimped in with the metal rather than having some space as the Blue Nile ring does. Is it worth the hassle of having two separate vendors on this? If a defect were to come up with the ring down the road, would it be a setting or a diamond/setter issue?

Thanks in advance!

Option 1 - Whiteflash platinum setting

wf_ring_-_top.png
wf_ring_-_side.png

Option 2 - BlueNile platinum setting

bn_ring_-_side.png
bn_ring_-_top.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF setting is so much nicer - really. But if you don't like it, or have specific things you'd like changed, why don't you talk to WF about custom making a setting that looks more similar to the BN you like?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the WF - I prefer the W holding the diamonds to the prongs sticking out of the BN - it looks much cheaper IMO.

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I may just go with the WF setting then. Does the lack of space between the diamonds make it look like a nicer pave than the BlueNile setting, too? Also, the "W" in the WF setting won't impact the light performance of the main diamond, will it?

Thanks again!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No the side bar won't affect light performance.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Blue Nile one has a "peg head". Jewelry producers like these because the head can be easily swapped out for another peg head that fits a different shape/size of stone (which is why a peg head might be considered if one is thinking a change in the original e-ring diamond is possible in the future, but being able to maintain the sentiment of the original mounting would be important -- or when folks are looking for second-hand, semi-mounts).

But think most people would agree that an integrated head, like the head on the Vatché being sold by Whiteflash, is sleeker/more "organic" to the ring & classier/more expensive-looking than a peg head setting ;))

MeddlingKids

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I am going to go with the Whiteflash setting.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
MeddlingKids|1441318779|3923321 said:
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I am going to go with the Whiteflash setting.

Another vote for the WF setting. Good choice! :wavey:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for whiteflash. And it will be much easier to buy the setting and diamond in the same place!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results