shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Color - How Bad is H

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sharpie

Rough_Rock
Is there a noticeable difference between an F Color Diamond and an H Color Diamond? There seems to be a huge price differnece between the two. Thanks.
wavey.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your question, H is not a "bad" color at all.

But there is a difference. Some are more color sensitive than others, and to some it matters a lot; to others, not so much. Your wallet will definitely notice a difference.
9.gif

That said, if you are comparing two very well cut stones, the H is not a bad color at all. It will most likely face up white, and if it is eye clean, better yet. With an excellent cut stone, you can even go to an I or J before you will really be noticing a huge difference. Now if you are comparing F to J, well different story.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wouldn’t even say that F is better than J. Personally, I kind of like J’s but it’s a substantially different look. It’s like asking ‘which is better, red or blue?’ They are simply different. Look at some stones in person and get a feel for what you like. H is the best selling color in the US, in part because of the compromise on the price point but plenty of people decide that they want to go for the whiter color and are willing to pay the premium to get it. Also be aware that the difference between two color grades is pretty subtle and it can be obscured by things like fluorescence, cut, bad lighting and a whole litany of other variables. It’s difficult to be sure that you are truly shopping comparable items. Some stones are accompanied by documents that can be deceptive on this issue and different labs can vary by several grades on the same stone. Buy the stone, not the paper.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/7/2004 9:06:14 AM denverappraiser wrote:

I wouldn’t even say that F is better than J. Personally, I kind of like J’s but it’s a substantially different look. It’s like asking ‘which is better, red or blue?’ They are simply different. Look at some stones in person and get a feel for what you like. H is the best selling color in the US, in part because of the compromise on the price point but plenty of people decide that they want to go for the whiter color and are willing to pay the premium to get it. Also be aware that the difference between two color grades is pretty subtle and it can be obscured by things like fluorescence, cut, bad lighting and a whole litany of other variables. It’s difficult to be sure that you are truly shopping comparable items. Some stones are accompanied by documents that can be deceptive on this issue and different labs can vary by several grades on the same stone. Buy the stone, not the paper.
Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver----------------

AMEN
2.gif
Another great post denverappraiser!
appl.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Go to "Eye Candy" under Show Me Your Ring and you will see that H is not bad but a great buy! H is the reason why I bought an I color, because I thought if an H looks this great then an I must look just as good.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have an H and I am very pleased (see avatar). I think F+ colors are a bit "icier" (and certainly very beautiful) but in a well cut RB, an H will get you a white diamond at a great value.

Color and clarity tolerances are highly personal, subjective matters, with no "wrong" decisions. For me, I would rather have the 3 ct size in an H versus a smaller stone in an F or G.

Good luck.
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
While I can immediately see color in fancy shapes, I was shown a round H and a round G. They looked nearly identical to me!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
G, H , I, and J are "near colorless" which I think of as "off white." So, look for the tint. Is it yellow, pink, gray, brown, or not noticible, and if that H diamond still looks good to you then H is good. I've seen color charts somewhere online that say F might show slight tint in larger sizes.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Is there a noticeable difference between an F Color Diamond and an H Color Diamond? There seems to be a huge price differnece between the two.

The visual difference between an F and an H is not noticeable to most people in the side-by-side position. Yes, people who are very color sensitive may discern the difference, but it's a VERY subtle difference.

But your diamond won't be mounted next to an F diamond. When the H diamond is mounted and face-up and viewed alone, it doesn't look any different from an F....even to many color sensitive people.

The reason there is such a huge price break isn't because there's a noticeable difference. It's because colorless diamonds (D,E,F) are considered more rare, so you're paying for perceived rarity, not for a much "better" looking diamond.

I own an ideally cut H stone, and most people think it's an F. It faces up ABSOLUTELY white!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
As a H stone owner myself, I can tell you my stone faces up beautifully white. As the others have said, individual color tolerances vary and the cut of the stone makes all the difference. Like Al, everyone thinks my stone is a higher color grade.
After viewing many beautiful rings in the SMTR folder here at PS and viewing stones in person, H really allowed me to jump in carat size which was pretty important to me.
I hope you find a beautiful stone. Good luck!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The above replies contain excellent perspectives and advice.

I would add:

The price difference you observed between F and H is large because D E F are in the "colorless" bracket and G H I are in the "near-colorless" bracket. Prices jump when you cross to colorless, though F & H are only 2 grades apart so visibly they are quite close (Aljdewey alluded to this).

Great cut improves the look of any diamond. A well-cut near-colorless can look as good or better than colorless diamonds which are not as well cut.
Cut is King! Cut is King! Cut is King!

Consider which lab did the grading. Some labs tend to be softer than others. Do some searches here on PS – Leonid & Garry Holloway posted a great study here.

Neil's chorus of “Buy the stone, not the paper” is always the best bet. Have you had a chance to see the diamond and compare it with "colorless" stones (if that is what you fancy?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results