shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond-Check Setting-????

ChedWick

Rough_Rock
Alright, so after extensive research and lots of time I finally narrowed down my diamond search and bought one I've very happy with.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2803930.htm

Now its time for the setting. This search has been long and painful too. My tastes have fluctuated/changed quite a bit. I've gone from being set on a channel setting to a 3 stone setting to a simple solitaire and back to the beginning while throwing in some random other styles. But now I'm set on a solitaire setting and have been fore a while.

Here are my narrowed down options, I'd love thoughts and opinions.

Hearts on fire jubilation solitaire

Hearts on fire seduction dream solitaire

X-O Aireline Solitaire

I think I'm mostly leaning toward the HOF Jubilation Solitaire. I like the seduction solitaire too, its a bit unique. But I feel like unless its set with a 1+ carat stone, it wont look as good. Option three and four are similar and the fourth is really only a validation of what I like about the thirds shoulders . I like the X-O's prongs and inner prong design as well as the shoulders(if that's even what they are called) and how they curve up/out a little more as opposed to curving in like the Jubilation setting.

Due to not actually being able to find a setting I like already made, I'm having this custom made and possibly in platinum. The final metal depends on the price quote I get. The jeweler I'm dealing with has thrown out some varying numbers for platinum. I have but a few concerns though.

The first, while I would love to trust the world and everyone in it, I don't. This jeweler seems like a great guy. Two other co-workers and myself are all making the big plunge together and this jeweler has already taken good care of them. He made a taccori replica for one of them and it looked fantastic. However, he seems a little hesitant on me going with platinum. I'm not entirely sure why though. I figure it'd mean more money for him but I'm no jeweler so I don't know the business behind the scenes. I don't expect him to try and sell me one thing when I ask for another, but I'd like to have my bases covered just in-case. Is there any sure fire way to tell if platinum is platinum? I hope I don't offend anyone with that concern, I've always been a bit more cautious than not.

My second concern, the head of the ring. I've talked to multiple local jewelers and they all seem pretty adamant about princess cut stones being set in the more rectangular prongs. Face down I'm fine with this, so long as they aren't overly thick. But From the side they look, to me, a fair bit different and if I went with an exact replica of the heats on fire jubilation solitaire, it would change the side appearance. That's something I'm unsure of. I've had a mock up of a ring drawn using the rectangular prongs and I didn't like the change in the side appearance. Not to mention I kinda like the rounded tops of the Jubilation setting. They seem like they would provide enough security and stability to the diamond. So do I necessarily have to go with that kind of prong style? Platinum is suppose to be more durable and I guess bend before it breaks unlike gold correct?

Thanks again!

jubilation_20sol_20c.jpg

seduction-dream-solitaire-engagement-ring-2.png

pzale1-9396608_alternate1_t400.jpg

Attachments

• x.bmp
    933.6 KB · Views: 743

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want platinum and I would highly encourage you to look at WF's settings. It is much safer for them to set a princess stone. They'd be liable to replace it if a corner chipped or something while setting it.

This setting, to me, is every bit as pretty as any of those HoF settings. You can see examples of princess cut stones in it in the pictures at the bottom of the page. They do a beautiful job protecting the corners.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-729.htm

And this is one of my favorites even though it is a little more expensive:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/caroline-solitaire-engagement-ring-for-princess-cut-diamonds-by-vatche-342.htm

ChedWick

Rough_Rock
Oh I agree, having WF set my diamond would be my best option but I have to like the setting too. I've looked numerous times at their options and while the two you linked are nice and I like the second one a little more, they just aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

Them being liable for the diamond during setting is certainly something I'm concerned about. If I get a setting made elsewhere could WF set it and still be liable for the diamond since its one of theirs? That is if they would even accept a third party setting.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
ChedWick|1363706318|3408613 said:
Oh I agree, having WF set my diamond would be my best option but I have to like the setting too. I've looked numerous times at their options and while the two you linked are nice and I like the second one a little more, they just aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

Them being liable for the diamond during setting is certainly something I'm concerned about. If I get a setting made elsewhere could WF set it and still be liable for the diamond since its one of theirs? That is if they would even accept a third party setting.

Just get the stone insured by Jewelers Mutual before you get it set. Jewelers Mutual will cover the stone during setting if you provide them with proof that it's being set and an appraisal on the stone. You can then send them an appraisal on the completed piece to update your coverage. If you need to go 3rd party, give JM a call to work out what you need to get coverage before you send your stone off for setting.

Have you looked at the settings available at Pearlman's? Pearlman's will also insure your stone for you during setting if you purchase a setting from them. You do have to pay money for the insurance if you don't get the stone from them too, but it's an option if you don't want to get JM just yet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe wf will set it in a different setting than they sell.

I would personally go with ritani. They sell that there, and I have a ritani and the quality is amazing. They may not be on there site but I bet SF could get them, or that other ritani you posted.
Had you see the tulip? Has the spit prongs like you liked in the other setting you posted, nicely priced and comes in a few different band types .
Normal
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tulip-airline-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5672
A higher cathedral
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tulip-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5675
Knife edge
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tulip-solitaire-knife-edge-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5681

ChedWick

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the Jewelers Mutual suggestion. WF actually send me an advertising email regarding them yesterday. I'll have to look into it. I also have not checked pearlmans to the best of my knowledge. Looking for different styles I've just punched in some Google searches and gone where the images took me. That's how I found most of those and I guess I've already checked Ritani since I uploaded one from there haha. I'll check those two again though.

Any thoughts on the square prongs or being sure I'm getting platinum if I do go with this local guy? It seems a lot of the rings I see online with princess cut stones have the same prongs as round but idk if that's just the automatic image swaps when they give you those options to see different stones in the same setting.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Pearlman's carries settings from a variety of makers, including Ritani.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
ChedWick|1363709615|3408664 said:
Thank you for the Jewelers Mutual suggestion. WF actually send me an advertising email regarding them yesterday. I'll have to look into it. I also have not checked pearlmans to the best of my knowledge. Looking for different styles I've just punched in some Google searches and gone where the images took me. That's how I found most of those and I guess I've already checked Ritani since I uploaded one from there haha. I'll check those two again though.

Any thoughts on the square prongs or being sure I'm getting platinum if I do go with this local guy? It seems a lot of the rings I see online with princess cut stones have the same prongs as round but idk if that's just the automatic image swaps when they give you those options to see different stones in the same setting.

Because of the delicate corners of a princess cut I would want to be sure that they were protected in the setting. I'd look for v tip prongs that cover the corners. I also think that it gives the stone a better more defined shape than standard prongs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1363710122|3408671 said:
Pearlman's carries settings from a variety of makers, including Ritani.
So doss Whiteflash. I think those double prongs would be very secure for those sharp corners. I love that setting. I like the other ritani you posted too. Just ask if they can get you that. Wf sells that brand. Might not be on the site but ask I bet you'll get it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results