shape
carat
color
clarity

DIAMOND CERTIFICATE?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EZBUDDY

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m in Toronto Canada, and its unfortunate that we don''t have GIA or AGS around the corner to grade diamonds. We currently have Gem Scan, EGL, and IGI available to do grading on site. Of the three which would be the most reliable? I hear good/bad stories for all three and I just wanted to get your opinions...Thanks in Advance

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to sound flippant- but it''s worth your while to drive over the US border and send your diamond to GIA if you want the industry standard for an accurate report.

dobie

Rough_Rock
It really depends on where you shop for diamonds in Canada. Jewellery stores in the malls don''t usually carry AGS or GIA stones, but the better stores do (in some stores, you can''t get anything but AGS and GIA stones). As far as prices, they are the same as in the US. However the retail prices also include a 10% luxury tax on all diamonds and other jewellery if you''re Canadian (Americans don''t have to pay the luxury tax and sales taxes). In addition, PST and GST make diamonds more expensive than buying from a zero sales tax state such as Oregon. You can save the PST by buying in Alberta or one of the 3 territories where I understand they don''t have PST. If you''re buying from the US, the tax man will collect all the taxes when the item crosses the border so no saving there.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many Canadian dealers DO carry stones with reports from both GIA and AGS. HRD is also building a fairly strong presence in Canada. If you are a dealer and you prefer products with different sorts of grading reports, talk to your suppliers or simply switch suppliers. They're out there. If you're a consumer and the store you are shopping at doesn't have the kind of products you like, discuss your preferences with them and, if necessary, vote with your feet and find another store.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
and proud member of the Canadian Gemmological Association
Independent Appraisals in Denver

EZBUDDY

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! Any other experiences? or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results