shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond advice.

colorofmyheart

Rough_Rock
Hubby and I are in Seattle visiting his parents. So I asked to go to Shane Co, since I'd never been (and because my rings are in for repairs this week while we're here). We went. I've been wanting a solitare for a while. I love my 3-stone, but the centre diamond was his grandmother's and I'm terrified to have anything happen to it. So we looked at some stones. I asked to see rounds between 0.3 and 0.4. I didn't want anything big.

I bought a diamond. Put it on layaway. I want to know if I overpaid or if it's a decent price.

It's GIA certified. Round brilliant, 0.40ct, H color, SI1 clarity. Eye clean, can barely see any major inclusions or feathers even with the loupe, super sparkly and pretty. Price on the tag was $1225. They knocked it down to $1000.

Thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the full details of the report?
Table and Depth %?
Crown and Pavilion angles?
Polish and Symmetry?

If you have those, run them through here to see the cut score (how sparkly it is when away from the flashy jewellery store lights). Anything 2.0 and under are generally good performers with a few rare exceptions.
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

colorofmyheart

Rough_Rock
I don't. I didn't get the report. I'll call and ask them to email me the report. If they can. Hopefully they will.

Thank you!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to look at it outside/away from store lighting.
It should look good in any kind of lighting.

colorofmyheart

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to update.
I cancelled the layaway and got a refund for my deposit on the stone. We actually got home from our trip, and my car died and needs to be replaced. So the money for the stone now has to go towards a replacement car.

Thank you for the advice on the diamond, and seeing it outside of the fancy store lighting. I'll be sure to do that once we do have the spare money to buy a bigger diamond for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results