shape
carat
color
clarity

Diameter not consistent???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
I am working on getting a setting locally for a diamond I bought online and the local jeweler used a hand held gauge of some sort to get an idea of the diameter. It came back less than the GIA or Sarin. He told me it was no cause for concern that if you took a stone to 3 jewelers you would probably get 3 different measurements all slightly off - i definitely believe this is probably true and I trust theJewelers opinion (even though I just met him). My question is do I believe the GIA numbers or do I believe the hand held thingamagig that he said was recently calibrated. He didn''t seem concerned at all , but i was certainly bummed out. I think in my head I have already been feeling diamond shrinkage and then when gia says the diamond is 7.14-7.18 and the hand held thing says 7.05, that upsets me. Also, I had gone to another jeweler recently because I was very close to buying a setting there and he did a quick measurement and said it was a little over 7mm... again I expressed my concern and he said that he just did a very quick measurement and what he used wouldn''t be precise enough to get it to the exact number.

I know the diamond is the correct one, as all the inclusions match the plotting report etc., so I am not worried about that... but how common is it for this? Does GIA measure diamonds differently, are there many different tools used for this?

This really bums me out as now I feel like I paid for a 1.39 that may appear like a 1.25 instead
7.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
sure do.

GIA says the measurements are 7.14 -7.18 x 4.41
weight: 1.39
depth 61.6
table: 57
crown angle : 34.5
pavilion angle: 40.9
Girdle on the GIA report is listed as medium to slightly thick
sarin has it as thin to slighty thick.
Eyeclean SI1

I want to point out to that my diamond has awesome sparkle and brilliance, it really looks great. The only thing I am really worried about is why the diameter is not showing the same when it is measured, why is there such a discrepancy? I have been sort of paranoid since I bought it that it appears slightly smaller than I would expect for a diamond with this weight.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2005 7
6.gif
9:22 PM
Author:TL1
I am working on getting a setting locally for a diamond I bought online and the local jeweler used a hand held gauge of some sort to get an idea of the diameter. It came back less than the GIA or Sarin. He told me it was no cause for concern that if you took a stone to 3 jewelers you would probably get 3 different measurements all slightly off - i definitely believe this is probably true and I trust theJewelers opinion (even though I just met him). My question is do I believe the GIA numbers or do I believe the hand held thingamagig that he said was recently calibrated. He didn't seem concerned at all , but i was certainly bummed out. I think in my head I have already been feeling diamond shrinkage and then when gia says the diamond is 7.14-7.18 and the hand held thing says 7.05, that upsets me. Also, I had gone to another jeweler recently because I was very close to buying a setting there and he did a quick measurement and said it was a little over 7mm... again I expressed my concern and he said that he just did a very quick measurement and what he used wouldn't be precise enough to get it to the exact number.

I know the diamond is the correct one, as all the inclusions match the plotting report etc., so I am not worried about that... but how common is it for this? Does GIA measure diamonds differently, are there many different tools used for this?

This really bums me out as now I feel like I paid for a 1.39 that may appear like a 1.25 instead
7.gif

Question 1: The accuracy of the diameter measurement. There are varying tools that are used to measure millimeters.

Your number of 7.14-7.18 from the gia is probably the most reliable. Probably the most reliable guage is called a Leveride or Presidium. The most accurate model is a digital one. But you must remember that diamonds vary in diameter measurement.
However, according to GIA, the minimum measurement should be 7.14 and the maximum measurement 7.18. There is some variance between measurements so expect a slight variation.

There is another hand held instrument made by leveridge which is basically the same except that the dial is more like an analog clock. Those are a little more difficult to read, because the markings are not expressed digitally on a screen. It is really hard to get a precise measurement interpretation as the guage isn't digital

Then there is the Sarin which can also vary but not by much. More commonly than not the report from the sarin is very close to those of the major labs. Also realize that jewelers don't need such precise measurements when ordering a setting ( prong part) for your ring. Most jewelers don't have precise instruments because they don't generally require having them.

Question 2 - Face up size... This depends on how your diamond is cut.. If it is deep then it may look smaller. If it is cut shallowly it may appear to be bigger/larger. Carat is not a size but a weight. I see the stone has a 61.7 depth... generally speaking that is pretty good So your stone should look like its proper weight.
Hope this helps

So I wouldn't be upset - I think your GIA report is most likely the most accurate. ( statement made without seeing the stone, so I can't really be accurate in my own opinion, but rather my reliance is based on the measurements you wrote representing the GIA report.)

Rockdoc

TLS

Shiny_Rock
rockdoc thanks so much - you guys are unbelievably helpful!

I saw the gauge he used and it definitely wasn''t digital it had something that looked like a clock - I looked at it quickly but it reminded me of a thermometer almost :)

He didn''t seem concerned so I assume he knows it is not totally accurate and he did say he had just calibrated it, so maybe it needs to be re-done...though i have no idea what it means to calibrate one of these things.

When people ask for the depth I am never sure if they are looking for the 4.41 mm measurement or the 61.6%?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
TL

Here is the general idea of a Leveridge guage. This one is made by Presidium

http://www.gia.edu/geminstrument/myProducts.cfm?CFID=8469632&CFTOKEN=54694572&productID=68&display=detail&categoryID=4&name=Weights%20%26%20Measures&filterFor=

As for the depth people want, generally better to report both. The total depth percentage is estimated by diving the average diamond ( on your stone 7.16 by 4.41)

By providing the depth percentage, you are saving the person from having to do the calculation themselves.

After I saw that you did provide the depth percentage measurements - I edited my posting.

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

TLS

Shiny_Rock

Hi Rockdoc, yup that picture of the gauge looks like what I saw today :) Interesting that it would be off by that much then?

Thanks you again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results