shape
carat
color
clarity

Detail orientated PSers welcome - cads

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working on a project and ive up to this point been pretty confident in what I'm looking for, but I've reached a point in which I'd really like a second opinion.
I'm making a three stone colored stone ring with a cushion and half moons. I have the stones, bit I'm concerned about the specifics of the setting.

1. What do you think of the height of the stones

2. Are you pro or anti cathedral

3. How do you you feel about angle of the side stones.

4. How do you feel about the width of the shank. How about the shank in general

Pics in a moment......

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First.... Inspiration photos.
I advised them I do not want that pinched area where the shank meets the half moons

uploadfromtaptalk1432257317967.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1432257350113.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1432257374124.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1432257390346.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have the shank mm size right now.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a few of my thoughts.

uploadfromtaptalk1432258275449.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the stones need to be higher but you might have to pinch the shank more to get the height. The side view right now looks squatty to me. The angles in the DBL ring are perfect and I would definitely want them. The shank looks thick but I like that so personally I would keep it. I feel like super thin shanks get lost on my size 7 finger and IIRC you and I are about the same finger size.

Medical

Rough_Rock
I think that each box in the grid is usually 1 mm for CADs. It looks really good- but the overall band appears thicker than the inspiration photos- so you may want to ask them to make it a little thinner if you want to really match those photos. Also, the inspiration rings appear to have rounded sides, while your CAD has flat sides. Not sure if that matters but it is one other difference.

Very cool project!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angles are mostly dependent on the size of the stones used so you don't have a lot of leeway unless you are alright with the stones sitting higher. Do you mind some tapering of the shank (but not pinched) rather than having it all the same width?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1432257283|3879889 said:
I'm working on a project and ive up to this point been pretty confident in what I'm looking for, but I've reached a point in which I'd really like a second opinion.
I'm making a three stone colored stone ring with a cushion and half moons. I have the stones, bit I'm concerned about the specifics of the setting.

They could be just a tad taller but I like the DBL setting which looks pretty low.
Pro
I think it looks good.
I think the shank needs some tapering...or at least the cathedral area does. Just makes it flow better and look more
graceful.

Pics in a moment......

I love everything about the DBL setting. I like the curvy look to the basket area. The ruby basket seems really boxy and I'm not
sure because it's a straight sided stone or if edges on the basket are very straight (kind of like the difference between comfort
fit on a shank and just regular squared off). Could just be the difference between the rounder stone in the DBL setting and
the emerald cut in the other setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1432300280|3880024 said:
Niel|1432257283|3879889 said:

They could be just a tad taller but I like the DBL setting which looks pretty low.
Pro
I think it looks good.
I think the shank needs some tapering...or at least the cathedral area does. Just makes it flow better and look more
graceful.

Pics in a moment......

I love everything about the DBL setting. I like the curvy look to the basket area. The ruby basket seems really boxy and I'm not
sure because it's a straight sided stone or if edges on the basket are very straight (kind of like the difference between comfort
fit on a shank and just regular squared off). Could just be the difference between the rounder stone in the DBL setting and
the emerald cut in the other setting.

I know exactly what you mean about the bars in the baskets. I asked the vendor to "make them puffy, more convex" so well see

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1432296340|3879993 said:
I think the stones need to be higher but you might have to pinch the shank more to get the height. The side view right now looks squatty to me. The angles in the DBL ring are perfect and I would definitely want them. The shank looks thick but I like that so personally I would keep it. I feel like super thin shanks get lost on my size 7 finger and IIRC you and I are about the same finger size.

Yeah this will be a 7.5....
I dont know what it is, I'm thinking of asking him to make it 2.2-2.4mm. My e ring is 2.2 but it feels like that may be too thin for this project.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil,
No harm in asking whether the basket can be curved more. The DBL stone is noticeably larger than the one you are using, which allows it room for the curve. The ring in your CAD doesn't have much room for this due to the stone size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1432303785|3880045 said:
Neil,
No harm in asking whether the basket can be curved more. The DBL stone is noticeably larger than the one you are using, which allows it room for the curve. The ring in your CAD doesn't have much room for this due to the stone size.
I did ask, but haven't gotten revised cads. The stone is larger but not exactly hugly larger. Mine is about .5mm different on either side.

Different of course, but its not a 5.5vs 7mm or something.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the taper, I know I could do it, but I love the top view of the ruby ring (shown in the first photo) more than the slight shank pinch in the diamond photos.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your inspiration rings are similar to my EC. My only add is I wished now the side stones were slanted downward more toward the points. Not sure if I'm making sense. But more tapered or closer to the shank. It might cut down on the swoop you like but I feel like my ring sits high and for the center I'm good with that. I would just like the side stones to be more sloped.

_30444.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1432305485|3880066 said:
Your inspiration rings are similar to my EC. My only add is I wished now the side stones were slanted downward more toward the points. Not sure if I'm making sense. But more tapered or closer to the shank. It might cut down on the swoop you like but I feel like my ring sits high and for the center I'm good with that. I would just like the side stones to be more sloped.
No I understand completely what you meanmean. I feel like, though, if I angle the stones more and possibly have them tucked a little lower under the center it might make the gap in the cathedral unnecessary. I do really like the way the ruby ring doesn't have a gap. It doesn't seem to need one as the cathedral doesn't really go up that high.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of having the itty bittiedt cathedral added, reducing the shank to 2.3mm,this will put the end prongs closer together, as I want them to be on either side of the shank.

Then I'll ask them about rounding the shank and the basket bars.

Any other ideas?

picsart_1432660912720.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1432663377|3881341 said:
What a exciting project Niel!!!

Thanks, any opinions? I'd really like some

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1432661014|3881296 said:
I'm thinking of having the itty bittiedt cathedral added, reducing the shank to 2.3mm,this will put the end prongs closer together, as I want them to be on either side of the shank.

Then I'll ask them about rounding the shank and the basket bars.

Any other ideas?

I like the idea of a small cathedral... makes it more "airy" not as heavy feeling. Reducing the shank should accomplish the look you want with he prongs. Someone earlier had mentioned rounding out the shank -- that was an issue with my DK CADs (they looked very square). I'm assuming this can easily be polished out though. :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1432664098|3881353 said:

I like the overall look. Personally I like the elegant and 'light' look of the cathedral. I also love the angle of the sidestones in relation to the center stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1432668809|3881384 said:
Niel|1432664098|3881353 said:

I like the overall look. Personally I like the elegant and 'light' look of the cathedral. I also love the angle of the sidestones in relation to the center stone.
Thanks!

I think the proportions of the stones look right. They seem to in the cads stick out a little but ive been assured that's just a cad limitation.

The cads make the metal color look weird, bit it'll be a white shank, white basket for diamonds yellow for the center.
Here's the stones
imag3714_1_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1432679011|3881457 said:
mmmmmm love love love that chryso
Thanks! I'm hoping yellow gold for the chryso is the right choice. Fingers crossed.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1432681242|3881470 said:
Thanks! I'm hoping yellow gold for the chryso is the right choice. Fingers crossed.

I think it will work! It resembles my round in that picture and I like mine w/yg.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1432687851|3881516 said:
Niel|1432681242|3881470 said:

I think it will work! It resembles my round in that picture and I like mine w/yg.

Oh good!I've been so concerned about it. I didn't want the yellow to bring out the green and I didn't want the white to wash it out. I created a thread about it detailing all my concerns and someone said "sounds like you just have to keep it loose" and I just couldn't live with that so I realized I just had to make a decision. Plus, I actually prefer the look of the diamond inspiration of the head being a different color. For some reason its more aesthetically pleasing to me than a three stone with different colors yet all the same metal. So I just had to decide.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! It's great to see the real stones together! What a beautiful combo :love:
The sidestones are a tad bigger than I had concluded from the CADs but the proportions look good. It will be nice to see a wax model of the design. Have your tried various sizes of sidestones with the center? To me it looks great, but the sidestones are smaller proportion wise in your inspiration ring.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the yellow will look fine, there isn't enough green in the stone for the metal to bring out heaps of green IMHO, so it should all work colourwise how you want it too!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1432695809|3881577 said:
Oooh! It's great to see the real stones together! What a beautiful combo :love:
The sidestones are a tad bigger than I had concluded from the CADs but the proportions look good. It will be nice to see a wax model of the design. Have your tried various sizes of sidestones with the center? To me it looks great, but the sidestones are smaller proportion wise in your inspiration ring.
Unhappy with the side stones as they are.they are the exact length of the cushion side before it starts to taper towards the ends.

And like you said, when set they look smaller because they are being tucked under the stone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results