shape
carat
color
clarity

DEPTH ON A PRINCESS CUT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking about upgrading my Radiant cut to a Princess cut, but I am not sure about the "Good" numbers on a Princess cut.

Can someone help me:

2.52ct

J color

SI2

Depth: 78.7%

Table: 87.0%

Crown: 4.5%

Pavilion: 65.5%

Gridle: Very thin to very thick polished

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 7.55 x 7.18 x 5.65 mm

EGL US Cert.

Is a EGL cert reliable? Right now my stone is GIA cert. and I feel like I am stepping down with a EGL cert.

Any advise would be helpful.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I''m only a cut rock
2.gif
but those numbers seem awfully high for both table and depth. I believe EGL certs are not as strict as AGS or GIA. Am I correct ideal rocks?

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
As for EGL reports, it is USA? USA is the more reliable one of them. See on the home page a study that was done comparing EGL USA/AGS/GIA. In general, as long as you have the stone appraised and all checks out fine, who cares who did the report?

Now, I''m not a princess expert or anything close, but I will comment on the "very thin" girdle. Princess stones tend to chip at the corners, so I would make sure that the very thin girdle is not near any of those four points.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sure that stone is a little deep, but that table is HUGE (not in a good way) and that crown is very LOW (not in a good way) and the combination of the two can''t be good. there is not much going for that stone except the carat weight.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
The Cert is EGL USA. But it''s sounds like I should pass on this stone anyway. But, just for my knowledge how does the depth and crown etc effect a stone.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
DOH! OK, the EGL cert is the least of your problems with that stone.
7.gif
you can't tell much of anything from princess numbers...generally speaking, but I think it is very obvious that that is a VERY poorly cut stone. Yikes. Look at that table and crown. Double ugh. That said, do you like it? I think if you help it up next to a even a decent princess, you'd see a huge difference in terms of beauty...Those numbers make my cringe though... I'm not saying you have to get an ideal or even very good cut...but geez, if you're going for average to fair cut, you can do better even still..

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
For more info on princess cut info, go to HERE and click on the link on the left for AGA Cut Grade Charts and then select princess. This will at least give you an idea of what ranges these numbers should be around.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Vuitton- The debate continues about that...my feeling on the matter is, I don't care if it's certified by my third uncle working out of his basement LOL...AS LONG AS the stone appraises to confirm the accuracy of the cert...and for that, you'd have to go to a trusted appraiser to find out the truth. I even bought a .75+ uncerted stone for a pendant and I saved about $500! It's a super cut and while I didn't bother with a formal appraisal, the opinion was that it was a grade higher!
36.gif

Brando

Rough_Rock
I''m kinda new to the forum here but I have done a lot of research for a princess. Generally start by looking at the table to depth %. Usually you want the depth % to be at or below 75% and the table to be slightly lower than whatever the depth is. 68% table and 70% depth would be pretty good or perhaps 58% table and 62% depth, something like that. This is general though as princesses can sometimes have great light return with larger table''s than depths, it is a good way to weed out a lot of unlikely candidates though.

www.goodoldgold.com has a great princess tutorial if you want to go there and read about it, offers a lot of good advice on narrowing down a search for a good princess diamond just based on what you''ll see in most online diamond databases.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results