shape
carat
color
clarity

Decided on diamond...Please help me decide on setting...

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,
Thanks for all your advice on the diamond, I have decided on a 2.538 carat I VS2 ACA diamond from WF (will post specs later) but am having so much trouble deciding on a setting.

It's so hard when you can't try them on first!
Right now, I'm considering the WF Sleek Line Legato (plain) and also the Vatche U-113.
Here's what I can't decide, do I want the pizzaz of the Legato, or the simplicity of the Vatche? Will I bore of the Legato after awhile...is the Vatche just boring (classic and simple).
My wedding band is a channel set 1/2 carat tw of princess stones-half round.

My shank metal must be yellow gold, but I want a platinum head. (my wedding band is YG and I must stay with that band, hubby rules).

I would love your input! Or any other thoughts!
Christy

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked that Vatche can do a 2-tone version or seen pics of that? I would be concerned that both settings would look odd with a different color head. I am actually picturing a setting similar to the U-113 but that has a little ring of metal at the base of the head. I have seen pics of that in 2-tone and it is lovely, wish I could remember where I saw it -- I will look. Overall while I love the legato, I think that to match with a half-dome band I like the shape of the U113 better. Maybe one of the photoshop savvy PSers can help if you post some shots of your wedding band.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
links?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll offer my 2 cents: first & foremost, go to a few BM jewelry stores & try on rings. I had my mind set on a certain band width I saw here, & once I got to try it on, I hated the way it looked.

Its like trying on clothes. It may look great on the hanger, but once you try it on it looks awful, & who hasn't experienced that? :)

Settings are the same--you may try on a style you never thought you'd like, but end up loving it on your hand. At this point, you're just trying to narrow down your likes & dislikes, & the best way to do that is to go try rings on to see which styles look best. Have fun!! :wavey:

baroque

Shiny_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-1022.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

oh, and also this one looks cool with the double prongs!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sierra-solitaire-engagement-ring-271.htm

I don't think the photos on the site are a really good representation of either. I have seen actual photos on here and when googling that look better.

I'm attaching photos that I found online for reference of color combo.

legato_yg.jpg

u113_yg.jpg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Here are pics of my wedding band.
I did go to B&M store and saw the Vatche and liked it a lot. There isn't any way to see the WF one though.
I did also like the cathedral aspect of the Legato, as I *think* it may spin less on the hand? It will be top heavy with the size of the stone, so I wonder about that...

my_ring_side_view.jpg

hand_35.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My preference would be the Legato, but your opinion is the one that counts!! Don't think you can go wrong with either setting--both would look great with your band.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of my favourites is a combination of both styles - Vatche Caroline without pave. I prefer the head of Caroline to legato especially for a large stone and it has cathedral sides.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
quaddio said:
One of my favourites is a combination of both styles - Vatche Caroline without pave. I prefer the head of Caroline to legato especially for a large stone and it has cathedral sides.
Oh, I don't think I've seen it without the stones!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your new diamond sounds fantastic! Of course the setting choice is ultimately yours to make, but I vote for the Vatche. I prefer a six prong solitaire for a larger stone as I think it makes the diamond look rounder and should provide more protection. Also in my opinion the Tiffany-style settings are classic and show off the diamond to its best advantage.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Legato. Both are gorgeous.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
the additional pics are helpful. i would lean toward the legato over the vatche simply b/c i have disliked the feel of knife edge bands when i tried them on, and the second pic shows the vatche with the tiff-type knife edge (the WF pics make it look domed).

mn_shopaholic

Rough_Rock
baroque|1424366200|3834918 said:
quaddio said:
Oh, I don't think I've seen it without the stones!

The Caroline without pave is the U-100 http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&catID=2,15&startRow=60&id=123

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the options; but I second the idea of trying on settings locally to see whether you prefer 4-prongs vs 6, cathedral vs no cathedral, if you like the knife-edge on the U-113 and to see what styles you like best with your current band.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the diamond, very exciting!!
I agree on WF pictures (settings looking bulkier) and I actually asked about that and the response was some are CAD type pictures?

I think my vote would be the Vatche U-113 of those choices. I think it may sit a little higher too which I like.

This is one of my favorite mixed metal settings. Not sure if it would be appropriate for a MRB as well?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/[/URL]

I'm in a similar predicament. I just purchased an ACA and as of now I am going to put it in a inexpensive, temporary white gold solitaire setting while I decide what I really want...right now I'm all over the place.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
mns12 said:
I agree on WF pictures (settings looking bulkier) and I actually asked about that and the response was some are CAD type pictures?

I think my vote would be the Vatche U-113 of those choices. I think it may sit a little higher too which I like.

This is one of my favorite mixed metal settings. Not sure if it would be appropriate for a MRB as well?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/[/URL]

I'm in a similar predicament. I just purchased an ACA and as of now I am going to put it in a inexpensive, temporary white gold solitaire setting while I decide what I really want...right now I'm all over the place.

Hi mns12, I agree that is one fantastic setting! You are getting the ACA that I saw, right? Are you thinking you'll set it in a plain setting and then send it back to WF for setting when you finally decide, or take it somewhere else? I've considered that, just not sure if there is/should be worry about taking it in somewhere else to be worked on, but maybe I'm just silly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your wedding band gives me a more modern feel with the channel set princess cuts. I think the legato would go best with it.
The vatche swan has flow-ey lines and doesn't seems like it matches up with your wedding band that well.

After saying that, I saw buy what you like! All those settings are lovely!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
baroque|1424376363|3834995 said:
mns12 said:

Hi mns12, I agree that is one fantastic setting! You are getting the ACA that I saw, right? Are you thinking you'll set it in a plain setting and then send it back to WF for setting when you finally decide, or take it somewhere else? I've considered that, just not sure if there is/should be worry about taking it in somewhere else to be worked on, but maybe I'm just silly.

Hi!
Yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the 1.968 H VS2 ACA. But I better get it soon b/c I keep checking WF everyday to see if maybe I want to go a tad bigge... but then would have to drop to I color. I seriously just need to stop poking around!! Really undecided on setting, considering all options right now. Was hoping to go back to elegant solitaire but worried about finger coverage since I had the Emilya halo before. And then I just saw some gorgeous 3 stones with pears. Like I said, I'm all over the place:(

baroque

Shiny_Rock
OK...poking around, now I find this 2mm band that I think I may like to stack with my rings...so the solitaire would make sense...but I could stack that with the legato, too, I guess. I just can't decide if there is too much detail to be "basic" in the legato? And if I'm going stylized, then maybe I should go all the way and do the swan? Does that make sense? I lean toward 6 prongs, because I think it makes the stone look bigger, and who doesn't want that? But the 4 prong really shows off your diamond...sigh.

I have long fingers and wear a size 7, so I have room...

two_tone_0.jpg

baroque

Shiny_Rock
[/quote]

Hi!
Yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the 1.968 H VS2 ACA. But I better get it soon b/c I keep checking WF everyday to see if maybe I want to go a tad bigge... but then would have to drop to I color. I seriously just need to stop poking around!! Really undecided on setting, considering all options right now. Was hoping to go back to elegant solitaire but worried about finger coverage since I had the Emilya halo before. And then I just saw some gorgeous 3 stones with pears. Like I said, I'm all over the place:([/quote]

I loved that H girl! Bright and beautiful! Did you think about the Legato Sleek line? My problem is that I get bored easily, and want change. I am wondering if I should just go classic so that I can stack other stuff with it for change instead of wanting to change my setting, but then I go and look at the swan and the legato and ugh...so pretty!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have an AWESOME stone, so I really don't think you can go wrong! I love both the Legato and the U-113, but I prefer six prongs with larger stones. ...well, I prefer six prongs on most any size round for a solitaire. :bigsmile:

mns12

Shiny_Rock

Hi!
Yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the 1.968 H VS2 ACA. But I better get it soon b/c I keep checking WF everyday to see if maybe I want to go a tad bigge... but then would have to drop to I color. I seriously just need to stop poking around!! Really undecided on setting, considering all options right now. Was hoping to go back to elegant solitaire but worried about finger coverage since I had the Emilya halo before. And then I just saw some gorgeous 3 stones with pears. Like I said, I'm all over the place:([/quote]

I loved that H girl! Bright and beautiful! Did you think about the Legato Sleek line? My problem is that I get bored easily, and want change. I am wondering if I should just go classic so that I can stack other stuff with it for change instead of wanting to change my setting, but then I go and look at the swan and the legato and ugh...so pretty![/quote]

It is nice knowing you saw it in person so thank you:) I do really like the Legato Sleek line but I am leaning more towards 6 prongs now (originally liked the 4 double prongs of Sierra as well) and also do not think I want cathedral. My original solitaire was cathedral so just want to switch it up. Were you able to try on the Legato while at WF? I also love the BGD tapered Tiffany half round! There are just unlimited choices which makes the decision so difficult!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looooove the tiffany repro.

That other vatche with the pave in the basket posted a few posts up... It reminds me of a part of the male anatomy. :shhh:

I mean its beautiful, but when I look at it that's all I see...0

As for the lagato, I always prefer 6 prongs to 4, and I just think when comparing the two- the tiffany repro is just so much more classic.

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1424384858|3835059 said:

That other vatche with the pave in the basket posted a few posts up... It reminds me of a part of the male anatomy. :shhh:

As for the lagato, I always prefer 6 prongs to 4, and I just think when comparing the two- the tiffany repro is just so much more classic.

LOL, great...now that's all I see Niel! Thanks! OK, I got the quote for the tiffany repro for my size stone and it's a lot more than I was thinking, more than double the price of the legato!..so I have to be convinced that I will REALLY love it, as in forever...hmmm
I do agree, that I would prefer 6 prongs...sheesh, now what!?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baroque|1424385416|3835063 said:
Niel|1424384858|3835059 said:

LOL, great...now that's all I see Niel! Thanks! OK, I got the quote for the tiffany repro for my size stone and it's a lot more than I was thinking, more than double the price of the legato!..so I have to be convinced that I will REALLY love it, as in forever...hmmm
I do agree, that I would prefer 6 prongs...sheesh, now what!?

Haha I'm sorry. I know once you see it you can't unsee it, but I didn't want you to notice it 3 months after you bought it!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
[quote="Niel Haha I'm sorry. I know once you see it you can't unsee it, but I didn't want you to notice it 3 months after you bought it![/quote]

Great, just great...deleted that one from my list...haha!
My diamond images just arrived! Woo Hoo! will share those soon.
Need to figure out what I'm doing, because now I want that baby on my hand!!!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
O.K., the more and more I think about it, I am leaning toward the U-113, due to the classic nature and the 6 prongs. Of course, it's way more money and would take 15-20 business days (a month?!) vs 5-7 days! LOL...I can never go the easy route, can I? sigh. I received the images today and just posted them...so excited! I better make up my mind!

baroque

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy said:

Hi Gypsy, thanks for your suggestions! I really need to stay with Whiteflash, if I don't just end up bringing the diamond home and taking it to an outside source for the setting (which frankly scares me, I'm not sure why...we have oodles of great jewelers in the Portland area). I like several of the Brian Gavin designs, but since I am not getting my diamond from there, I don't want to go that route. The Caroline is lovely, I'm not sure how that would translate into two tone, and didn't really want diamonds on the band.

m-2-b said:

m-2-b, I do like that one too, might go that route, simple but doesn't break the bank...they also have a couple other 6 prong styles:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1417.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/exquisite-half-round-solitaire-engagement-ring-3587.htm
and the sierra:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/sierra-solitaire-engagement-ring-271.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results