shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass ring in the works! Join my journey :)

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I"m so excited to be working with David Klass on my replacement engagement ring. I sent him a few inspiration photos and he knocked out CAD at lightening speed. No surprise that he got it right on the first try. I'm excited to share the process if anyone else is curious :)

About the diamond:
3.15 carat Y SI1 Antique Marquise (17.7 x 7.58)
hand shot sent by David

I love the Edwardian era so I found a few rings that I adored and I threw them in Photoshop to mash them together.

And here is the first round of structural CAD (not showing the diamonds). The prongs will be hand carved. I am undecided whether to have the diamond leaves and shoulders in white gold and the rest of the ring yellow gold, or whether I should just have the whole thing done in one tone. Will I tire of two tone? My band is white gold with channel set diamonds. In any case, I can't wait to share the finished product!

_31860.jpg

_31861.jpg

marqhand.jpg

marquisecad.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to be a killer ring! :appl: I'd do it in all white gold (or platinum for me), but second choice would be white gold for the leaves and diamond band part, and then yg for the plain shank. I just think the inspiration pic is beautiful in all white metal.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you!! I have dreams about it lol. Designing it has been a lot of fun. David and Amy are such a pleasure to work with.

I agree, I am really drawn to the all white gold/plat of the two rings I photoshopped together. I have very fair skin and really do look better in yellow gold but my wedding band is white gold so maybe I should match them. I am so scared of growing tired of mixed metal. The stone is verging on fancy color so I also thought maybe the yellow would enhance that. The metal color decision will be the hardest part!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see the finished piece, I really do like the marquise cut!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
absolutely love that stone and love the leaves on the photo! definitely keep them :) I am biased because I love Edwardian and deco with any type of leaf or garland detailing. so romantic!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is 2-tone!!! I think it would be gorgeous and the detail will pop. I don't think you'd tire of the 2-tone, but You'll have to be the judge of that!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another for 2 toned, especially if you want to enhance the colour of the stone.

Also, you must be a photoshop wizard, because that doesnt look mishmashed at all - it looks a real ring!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you! Don't worry, the leaves are staying in all their glory. They are one of my favorite elements. They are difficult to see in the cad but they are there.

LOL re Photoshop wizard. It's true I do a lot of Photoshop :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, your ring is going to be amazing! You are in good hands at David's.
Enjoy the journey!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I am really excited to watch this one come to fruition! It's going to be stunning- something really special! :appl:

My vote would be for all white metal. I just think that would look the most cohesive and elegant. White metal for the head and petals with a YG shank would be a close second. Either way you really can't go wrong. It's going to be beautiful!

Enjoy the process!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pretty torn between all white metal vs white metal petals with a yellow gold shank. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I do feel like all white metal has a softness to it that gives off a seamless romantic look. But either will be stunning.

I can't wait to see the final product! The inspiration photos are to die for! :appl:

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I so agree with you about the seamless romantic look of all white metal. His yellow gold is very luxe so maybe I should either do solid yellow or solid white. If my band is white gold would platinum look different? What is the long term difference between the two? Other than price lol

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think there will be a difference between platinum and white gold, but it will depend on if it bothers you.

White gold is rhodium plated to make it white as unplated white gold has a warmth to it. The plating wears off over time, so it will need to be re-plated from time to time. How often will depend on your body chemistry and how much wear and tear it takes. Platinum never needs to be plated.

Another option is to do unplated white gold which in my opinion has a really romantic look to it and would look gorgeous in your ring!!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh yes! I do not plan on rhodium plating the white gold :) is platinum harder? More durable? Would you chose it over white gold for durability (harder prongs for example?)

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I love everything about platinum! The only time I do a project in white gold is if there's budget constraints. Just my two cents :)

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
It looks beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished b ring. I love white metals myself, but I think the two tone would be gorgeous.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Beautiful!!!

I would go with platinum if your budget can swing it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
This is going to be an amazing ring! I would do it in platinum if possible. :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gold is harder and more brittle than platinum, whereas platinum is more malleable. Platinum will show scratches over time (called patina) and may need to be polished to look shiny. Here's a little article outlining platinum vs white gold.

You can also ask David about it too. Ask him what he's observed between the two metals over his years in making jewelry.

I love that I don't have to re-plate my platinum rings, but I also love the unplated white gold look. Also, I have read that using a 900 Platinum/100 Iridium will be more scratch resistant and help to maintain the shine. That or 950 Plat/50 Ruthenium.

http://www.callagold.com/all-about-rings/white-gold-vs-platinum-wedding-rings/

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
JDDN: Thanks for the very helpful article! I like the soft patina of my wedding band (14k) with no Rhodium but this ring is going to hopefully become an heirloom. I do wear my rings every day so I want it to be durable. I literally never take them off unless I have to (foolish perhaps but I can't bare to not wear them). I also have two children age 3 and 1 so I am pretty active and busy. Would platinum be the better way to go? I hear he mixes his 14k with palladium - does that make it stronger?

ps: I love your Golden in your photo, s/he is very handsome - I grew up with a Golden - they are the best dogs! (don't tell my darling Lab I said that)

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone!! :love: That ring!!! :love: :love: How amazing. It's going to be a gorgeous piece, for sure. I just worked with DK and he was a pleasure. If it were me, I would go with all white metal (either platinum or white gold). I think it would look really elegant in all white metal. It is just a personal preference, though, and I'm sure it would be lovely either way. To me, yellow gold may make the diamond appear more yellow than it is. DK has an unplated white gold that is quite lovely, btw. I really can't wait to see this completed. PS, where did you find that diamond if you don't mind me asking?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ihy138|1435985071|3898753 said:
That stone!! :love: That ring!!! :love: :love: How amazing. It's going to be a gorgeous piece, for sure. I just worked with DK and he was a pleasure. If it were me, I would go with all white metal (either platinum or white gold). I think it would look really elegant in all white metal. It is just a personal preference, though, and I'm sure it would be lovely either way. To me, yellow gold may make the diamond appear more yellow than it is. DK has an unplated white gold that is quite lovely, btw. I really can't wait to see this completed. PS, where did you find that diamond if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! the stone was found through USAuncerteddiamonds site and Martin tracked it down. Turns out it was being sold by a vendor in LA so they just walked it over to David once we purchased it. Working with Martin was SUCH a pleasure. I have never received better customer service in my life.

The Y color was an intentional selection and David's comments were this: If it is set in white gold, it will look like a Cape color stone (yes please!), and if it is set in yellow gold it will look fancy yellow (yes please!) so either choice is a winner.

I am really leaning towards keeping it all white. I am seriously paranoid that I will yawn at the two tone in years to come. Now the hard part of waiting for it to be made. His turn around time is insanely fast but I am sooooooo excited to have it on my hand so every day feels like an eternity!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1435985435|3898755 said:
ihy138|1435985071|3898753 said:

Thanks! the stone was found through USAuncerteddiamonds site and Martin tracked it down. Turns out it was being sold by a vendor in LA so they just walked it over to David once we purchased it. Working with Martin was SUCH a pleasure. I have never received better customer service in my life.

The Y color was an intentional selection and David's comments were this: If it is set in white gold, it will look like a Cape color stone (yes please!), and if it is set in yellow gold it will look fancy yellow (yes please!) so either choice is a winner.

I am really leaning towards keeping it all white. I am seriously paranoid that I will yawn at the two tone in years to come. Now the hard part of waiting for it to be made. His turn around time is insanely fast but I am sooooooo excited to have it on my hand so every day feels like an eternity!

Love the color of that stone - no way that you can go wrong!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually palladium, nickel, or silver is used in white gold to make it appear white. I don't know if palladium is stronger than one of the other alloys, you should definitely ask David though.

I'm very active too and have a 2 year old and a 10 month old so I understand the wear and tear your hands go through. I don't take my rings off either, but I don't have melee or pave work on my rings. Personally I feel safer with platinum for the prong work. But I have heard that b/c platinum is softer it can allow tiny stones to fall out if the ring isn't babied. I have no personal experience with that and I'm sure many would say contrary.

If it were me, I'd go with platinum b/c my wedding bands are platinum. That doesn't really help you though, lol! I'd most definitely ask David what he recommends in terms of durability and your lifestyle. If you go with platinum, maybe try the 900Plat/100Ir.

Oh and that's our golden when she was a pup. They are the best! Labs are up there too! :))

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I did a quick photoshop with a really crappy indoor photo of my diamond (provided by the vendor) but for some reason when I upload it the diamond changes to a weird lime green color. Weird. Here's another photo of my stone though so you get the idea. Does this change your mind about metal color? I have all the other details decided on, just the darn metal color lol! I will surely refer to David for his opinion on metal choice if we go all white. Man this is a tough one.

_31911.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
All yellow no white for this stone - just buy a mixed metal eternity band to bring together the white and yellow of both rings :idea:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like platinum so much more than white gold, especially if you want this to become an heirloom ring. I think it'll be gorgeous!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
What an incredible diamond, and an exciting project!

Popping in to say I'd love to see photos of the diamond in yellow as well as white metal before deciding. I adore the pale sunny lemon yellows and might be tempted to go with yellow prongs/basket, even if I was doing the leaves in platinum/wg, just to play up that gorgeous color.

Kind of depends on your diamond- could you get photos in each metal and see which speaks to you? Does she want to be 'fancy' or does she want to be 'cape'?

I love the design you chose, the leaves are gorgeous, organic, romantic. I am also completely over the moon about that marquise halo with the rubies- that ring had been in my inspiration photos from the first time I saw it.

Thanks for sharing, it's a delight to follow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results