shape
carat
color
clarity

Danhov Solitaire Setting: Diamond Color & Security

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Hey PS! I've been binge-learning about diamonds in the past few weeks, and just wanted to first thank you all for being such an amazing wealth of information. Today I emerge from the shadows to change from lurker to poster. Please excuse any misuse of trade lingo and jargon, this diamond stuff is all pretty new to me.

So the BF and I got to casually talking about how feasible it would be to get an engagement ring soonish. I've always tossed the idea of a lotus/lily inspired engagement ring around in my head, and finally decided to sit down and dig into the research. This is the setting that we mutually agreed upon; a Danhov Classico CL140 (cathedral solitaire, 6-prong, in platinum): http://www.danhov.com/engagement/view-all/danhov-classico-single-shank-engagement-ring-cl140
cl140.jpg
Question 1: Outdoor activities are my passion (hiking, kayaking, mountain biking). Is this setting secure enough for the diamond? I am concerned about the setting getting caught on fabric, etc., and the diamond coming loose, but dislike bezel settings.

As for the diamond, after the binge-learning we've decided to prioritize the two C's: cut and carat.
Cut: H&A or Ideal Cut Round
Carat: 1+ (I was thinking that would be just about right for my finger size, I'm probably size 6.5-7)
Clarity: I was thinking SI1-VS1 (but must be eye-clean)
Color: I am liking the price-point of G, but would like something that appears white to the casual observer (although the BF can get pretty detail-oriented)
I've read on here that people are recommending going to a B&M to check out diamonds, but they tend to use lighting that make any diamond appear whiter. I'm pretty much set on buying a diamond online, unless someone can recommend a trustworthy jeweler in the Pacific Northwest.
Question 2: Will a G-colored diamond get enough light in this setting to truly appreciate the cut quality and would the diamond appear white?

Thank you all in advance for your expertise! Now to continue my binge-learning :)

TL;DR: Is this setting secure enough for the diamond? Will a G-colored diamond appear tinted at any angle in this setting?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Danhov Solitaire Setting: Diamond Color & Security

A g will be white. If the cut is good then you will see the cut quality. Color isnt necessarily going to bring out the quality of the cut, but it'll do that on its own. A six prong will not hide the quality of cut so you shouldnt worry about that.

You shouldn't wear a ring like that hiking or kayaking. If you absolutely have to wear your ring while doing these activities get a bezel. But really mostly I would advise just not wearing in while doing such activities.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409016217|3739278 said:
A g will be white. If the cut is good then you will see the cut quality. Color isnt necessarily going to bring out the quality of the cut, but it'll do that on its own. A six prong will not hide the quality of cut so you shouldnt worry about that.

You shouldn't wear a ring like that hiking or kayaking. If you absolutely have to wear your ring while doing these activities get a bezel. But really mostly I would advise just not wearing in while doing such activities.

Thank you for your advice!

Do people normally remove their rings during physical activity? And what about for daily mundane activities like folding laundry and washing dishes? If so, does repeatedly putting on/taking off the ring loosen the diamond or bend the metal?

Sorry for the questions!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't apologize! :) this is the time to ask questions.

Your ring will not have plasticity, so taking it on and off will not effect the shape of the ring, or how it fits your hand. Nothing to worry about there. That is the safest way to keep the diamond intact.

I don't know if most people DO, but people SHOULD take there rings with diamonds or gemstones off when doing work where it can get dinged up. Think about doing the dishes, so many pans and plates to smack it up against without trying. I take mine off to exercise,do the dishes, yardwork, things where I'm really working with my hands and hard objects. Also when you're sleeping or showering. But then again, why would you need to where it during those times anyways, you know?

If you're concerned about how often you would have to take it off, consider a bezel, or, consider a necklace to put your ring on when you feel its not safe to wear on your hands. They make ones shaped like wishbones. For example, that you can wear and whenever you have to take your ring off just slip it on your neck.
They have a few on this website as well as vids explaining exactly how they work
http://www.emilyc.com/shop/

Diamonds are hard but they are not indestructible.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409017205|3739284 said:
If you're concerned about how often you would have to take it off, consider a bezel, or, consider a necklace to put your ring on when you feel its not safe to wear on your hands. They make ones shaped like wishbones. For example, that you can wear and whenever you have to take your ring off just slip it on your neck.

Diamonds are hard but they are not indestructible.

I just googled necklaces that hold rings and some of the designs are so smart! Not having to unclip the chain and string the ring through just blows my mind.

I think we'll go with the necklace idea since it is a great compromise between protecting the diamond but also not having to go with the bezel setting :razz:

Thank you again!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Also, after taking a closer look at the Danhov setting... it's a whopping 8 prongs!! :shock:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1409017713|3739291 said:
Also, after taking a closer look at the Danhov setting... it's a whopping 8 prongs!! :shock:

Haha yes! That's a lot. It will be secure. The idea of it tugging on your clothes or something isn't something you need to worry about just because if something happened to pull back a prong, you've got 7 more holding it in!

But still. If you're are prone to outdoor excursions, a necklace would be a very smart move!

Otherwise I think your setting is lovely and sounds like you've got a good idea of what size stone and specs you want so that's good, is it all in budget?

Do you know someone that sells that brand?

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409018078|3739293 said:
Otherwise I think your setting is lovely and sounds like you've got a good idea of what size stone and specs you want so that's good, is it all in budget?

Do you know someone that sells that brand?

The BF agreed on platinum for sure, and also agrees with the price range of the setting (it's listed as 2.28k on their official website), but you can only buy it in person at an authorized dealer (there are 2 within reasonable driving distance). I also heard you can possibly negotiate on the price in person, keeping my fingers crossed!

Now that G-color pretty much decided (BF's sharp eyes might have to go see in person), I think carat weight is the only thing we might have to be flexible about for budget. 9-10k for the diamond seems like a fair budget for the specs I was looking at above, right?

For carat weight, I had in my mind something that wouldn't make my finger look too wide considering the setting itself isn't thick, but not something so big that I would fear a stranger wanting to cut my finger off to steal it! :lol:

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Also according to the Danhov website, that setting only accepts .75-1.25c anyways.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful setting!

Between the 8 prongs and the cathedral arms helping to keep the head where it should be, the setting itself is pretty secure. (Just remember that those prongs still need to be checked periodically by a jeweler.) However, the other consideration is accidental blows to the ring that might damage the stone itself - something that could happen with hiking (if you're scrambling on rocks) or dirt biking in particular. With water sports I'd be concerned about the ring slipping off! So yeah, I'd take the ring off for those activities.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
G or even H in that size range, if correctly graded by GIA or AGS, should be plenty white.

Gripping object hard can flatten a shank, gouge a shank, or bend a shank out of round (oval it or flat-spot it.) Same goes for picking up heavy objects that have a handle.

I have a large diesel pickup truck, and big sticky tires on it. I have to really crank on the steering wheel when driving that beast. I have, so far, cracked the shank on a 18K WG ring with pave stones (didn't pop out any stones, though), and severely warped another ring that has a plain shank, 14k WG. This is a problem that can only be resolved by spending $1200 or so to totally change the tires, or not wearing any good rings while driving. Guess which solution I opted for. :lol:

Just be aware of how you are using your hands and how it could adversely affect the ring. The more you bang them around, the more beaten up they start to look, regardless of the metal or style chosen. I would probably leave rings at home while biking, kayaking, riding horses, etc. Not only can the ring(s) be damaged, but they can really injure or break your finger if they get caught on something.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks VRBeauty and TC1987 for the tips! That just sealed the deal for me on leaving the ring off during activities--regardless of diamond size/setting :D

Niel|1409019838|3739307 said:
Your budget is more than you would need for what you want. Do you want to get a larger or higher colored stone? or do you want to save some and just get the best eye clean G 1 ct you could find?

eta:

for example. i mean this is beautiful and way under budget
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.012-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104070749009

I had the idea in my head that florescence was bad in near-colorless diamonds, so I've been searching for faint/no fluorescence ones. The eye-clean 1-1.25c ideal cut round stones I found have been in the 9-10k range.

Let me go read up more on fluorescence so I don't seem like a total noob!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
On a side note, how bad of a person would it make me if I went into a jewelry store to try on 1-1.25c diamonds just to compare sizes, with no intention of buying from them? :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Danhov Solitaire Setting: Diamond Color & Security

Fluor is a personal thing, but on its own its not inherently bad.
I actually prefer it, it makes diamonds look whiter and the fact that nature can do that in a diamond is just so cool to me. My geek nature lover aide comes out haha. It can have a negative over bluing effect, but that's rare, and easily avoidable if you work with a reputable vendor. Just ask them if it does that. If it does, throw it out. If it doesn't, aaawesome! Those BG blues are already vetted so that one we know doesn't have that issue

And no if your upfront and just tell them you're there to compare sizes then nothing wrong with that. I would tell them though just to make sure they don't try and sell you on something. That wastes everybody's time. In the meantime. This website I'm not allowed to post do to forum rules. But it says a 1.25 ct has about 16% larger surface area and here's what those would look like on a size 7

uploadfromtaptalk1409022455530.jpg

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409022458|3739322 said:
Fluor is a personal thing, but on its own its not inherently bad.
I actually prefer it, it makes diamonds look whiter and the fact that nature can do that in a diamond is just so cool to me. My geek nature lover aide comes out haha. It can have a negative over bluing effect, but that's rare, and easily avoidable if you work with a reputable vendor. Just ask them if it does that. If it does, throw it out. If it doesn't, aaawesome! Those BG blues are already vetted so that one we know doesn't have that issue

And no if your upfront and just tell them you're there to compare sizes then nothing wrong with that. I would tell them though just to make sure they don't try and sell you on something. That wastes everybody's time. In the meantime. This website I'm not allowed to post do to forum rules. But it says a 1.25 ct has about 16% larger surface area and here's what those would look like on a size 7

Is there any documentation that shows that "over bluing" or "milky" effect? I read that fluorescence rating alone doesn't determine that.

Also, I've read mixed reviews on PS about B2C, what is a good source for determining reputable online diamond sellers?

Thanks so much for the reference image by the way! I resize the image to the approximate size of my finger and honestly the 1.25c seems a bit large for my tastes (BF would be excited to hear that)... guess I will just have to go into a store to confirm. ;-) Hopefully they don't turn me away when I tell them I have no intent on buying from them!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha well word it in a nixer way like "just preliminary shopping" or "my boyfriend wants me to come in to see which size I like"

alpackie

Shiny_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reputable and trustworthy definitely. You could find cheaper, but the prices are very good for the quality of cut

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL at spotting the hair!

8-prongs looks darn secure to me! That necklace is a great idea-- what a smart invention!

My GF has a G diamond and it is ICY white from all angles. I can definitely see the slight tint to an H, so I was surprised the G is so white.

And make sure you insure it!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409057436|3739439 said:
Reputable and trustworthy definitely. You could find cheaper, but the prices are very good for the quality of cut
BG doesn't show up on the PriceScope diamond searches for me (is that right?), but there are many other companies that do. I snooped the forums and it seems everyone agrees on the quality of GOG and JA, but places like B2C get mixed reviews.

Wherever we end up going, since it is online I would like an actual picture, cert PDF or picture, and ideal scope image or some other image that confirms the cut.

Thanks HappyNewLife for the insurance reminder! :shock: Since a rock basically costs the same as a car, and everyone has insurance for that, not sure why some people don't think about insuring their jewelry. Would I need to pay for an appraisal with the diamond in the setting in order to get insurance?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1409070979|3739550 said:
Niel|1409057436|3739439 said:
BG doesn't show up on the PriceScope diamond searches for me (is that right?), but there are many other companies that do. I snooped the forums and it seems everyone agrees on the quality of GOG and JA, but places like B2C get mixed reviews.

Wherever we end up going, since it is online I would like an actual picture, cert PDF or picture, and ideal scope image or some other image that confirms the cut.

Thanks HappyNewLife for the insurance reminder! :shock: Since a rock basically costs the same as a car, and everyone has insurance for that, not sure why some people don't think about insuring their jewelry. Would I need to pay for an appraisal with the diamond in the setting in order to get insurance?

youll need an appraisal yes. some places provide one for you, otherwise yes youll have to get one.

I dont know why BG doesnt appear on the Ps diamond search, but BG is on par with Whiteflash and GOG with quality in regards to this boards opinion.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
I had the idea in my head that you can only get Danhovs from B&M authorized dealers, but after more binge-researching today apparently you can also get them from JA? They didn't have that particular setting in their online inventory, but after chatting with Lisa they are processing a quote for me (and possibly for cheaper than the Danhov official website's listed price!)

My only concern is that if I don't get a diamond through them, I would have to pay for shipping+insurance myself? Since I believe most online retailers only ship to your billing address, I wouldn't be able to have them ship directly to JA. Is the $30 USPS registered mail still the cheapest/best for shipping?

Yay! Options!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1409170911|3740324 said:
I had the idea in my head that you can only get Danhovs from B&M authorized dealers, but after more binge-researching today apparently you can also get them from JA? They didn't have that particular setting in their online inventory, but after chatting with Lisa they are processing a quote for me (and possibly for cheaper than the Danhov official website's listed price!)

My only concern is that if I don't get a diamond through them, I would have to pay for shipping+insurance myself? Since I believe most online retailers only ship to your billing address, I wouldn't be able to have them ship directly to JA. Is the $30 USPS registered mail still the cheapest/best for shipping?

Yay! Options!
Yay!

If you buy the setting from JA I would also buy the stone. Its a hassle - plus you pay shipping and insurance. No reason to do that considering you can get a really lovely stone from James Allen.

Had you gone to see stone sizes yet??

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409171370|3740328 said:
Yay!

If you buy the setting from JA I would also buy the stone. Its a hassle - plus you pay shipping and insurance. No reason to do that considering you can get a really lovely stone from James Allen.

They said something about "special pricing" for the stone too--I'm guessing since I mentioned PS hehe :naughty:
But I guess they can't say "PS discount" (I just checked out that sticky thread)!

I can't go see stone sizes until this weekend when the BF gets up here! We're doing a ridiculous long-distance thing right now cause of work...he better switch jobs soon! :angryfire:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie|1409171926|3740336 said:
Niel|1409171370|3740328 said:
Yay!

They said something about "special pricing" for the stone too--I'm guessing since I mentioned PS hehe :naughty:
But I guess they can't say "PS discount" (I just checked out that sticky thread)!

I can't go see stone sizes until this weekend when the BF gets up here! We're doing a ridiculous long-distance thing right now cause of work...he better switch jobs soon! :angryfire:

Haha aren't you sweet to wait for him. I am not as patient a woman haha :devil:

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1409173902|3740362 said:
Haha aren't you sweet to wait for him. I am not as patient a woman haha :devil:
Thanks for your advice about how to frame the whole situation by the way. The way I was planning on stating it would've definitely had them kick me out! :lol:

The thought occurred to me that even if I try on various weights, a diamond that isn't well-cut wouldn't necessarily look its weight. Would it be appropriate for me to ask to try only ideal cut RBs on?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes they'll just have CZ in the setting, those are usually there weight- but if you see a real diamond, yes make sure they measure up correctly. A 1 ct should be about 6.4-6.5 mm
A 1.25 should be between 6.9-7mm

Also ask to see gia or AGS ones because that way you can get a sense of the color too! Though be careful, jewelry store lighting can make a potato sparkle, so maybe I'd you're going to look at color too ask them to show you in more natural lighting, maybe my a window.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
.5mm seems like a negligible difference, but when using that diamond comparison tool you showed me earlier a 1.25c really does seem much larger! I'm going to what seems like a reputable B&M in the Seattle area, they are the only authorized Danhov dealer in the state. Interestingly enough, on their website they say they use a blue i-scope imaging technique to analyze their H&A cuts ("Japanese" it says).. haven't seen it before!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results