shape
carat
color
clarity

D VVS2 v.s. E VVS1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fishy

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a 0.5 carat diamond. I''ve found that it''s easy to have a D dirmond but not easy to have a IF diamond. That why usually E VVS1 is expensive than D VVS2, am I correct?

If you are me, which one will you choose?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It all depends on what size diamond you are talking about, but mostly they are even as far as costs are concerned!!!!

In my opinion they are the same, unless the specs. are different. a I.F. will run much more (its important if you want the BEST) otherwise they will look the same visualy!!!!

D-VVS2 or E-VVS1 are the SAME!!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Other than a diesire for perfection, you, and virtually no other person could tell a D-IF from an E-VVS2. Any combination in between would be equally as invisibly different. I suggest going toward E-VVS2 and make the diamond a tiny bit larger... I have yet to meet someone who would have refused a .60ct diamond if .50ct was big enough.
36.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha, I like the bigger E VVS2 option. That''s cuz I agree that the other two are basically the same.

If I were forced at gunpoint to choose btw the two, I''d pick D VVS2. At least one of the factors is the best. You can''t see the difference anyways at that range, so might as well go for the psychological effect.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 4:41
6.gif
3 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Just a voice of a more comman man.

In a piece of jewellery - can you tell the difference between F SI1 and D IF.

I can not, and i am supposed to be an expert.
i bet you can you sly dog................

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 9:40:50 AM
Author:fishy
I''m looking for a 0.5 carat diamond. I''ve found that it''s easy to have a D dirmond but not easy to have a IF diamond. That why usually E VVS1 is expensive than D VVS2, am I correct?

I''d go with the D color stone. . .but, honestly, I''d probably choose neither stone, but go down a couple color grades to purchase a slightly larger stone. I''m not big on big stones, but still would go for a F VS2 in an larger .70 stone over a D VVS2 .50. (I do have a D stone and it looks beautiful, but my G stone looks just as gorgeous!
2.gif
_

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Michelle Carmen said - " I''m not big on big stones, but still would go for a F VS2 in an larger .70 stone over a D VVS2 .50. "

I totally agree. I have an E and an I and can''t see that much of a difference to be honest. I''m happy with any clarity as long as it''s eyeclean, but you couldn''t go wrong with a VS 1 or 2. Twenty points would be quite a big difference at that carat weight.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 6
6.gif
6:12 PM
So WS, you can see the difference between D and F, and you can see SI 1 inclusions in other peoples rings?

I cant, not without being very rude and whipping out my loupe
That might help see the inclusions...

But i think it would be even ruder to be breaking the rock out of its setting so you can put it upside down on a white piece of paper to check for a difference in colour...

They wont be asking you what you think of their ring again
23.gif
28.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents...

Frankly, I would recommend that you reduce your colour/clarity requirement to F vs2. That way you get a much bigger diamond for your buck. Unless you HAVE TO have a D or E colour and vvs clarity.

If colour is more important to you than clarity, you could go for Dvs2 or even Dsi1 and no one could tell the difference in clarity with their naked eyes and you would STILL end up with a bigger stone.

We usually recommend to our customers to place more emphasis on size and colour rather than clarity (which you cannot see with your eyes for clarity above vs2 or even si1). This is usually with our Gabrielle cuts, as the Gabrielle "hides" clarity better, but in this case the principle should still hold true.

Of course, this is with the understanding that cut is the most important C of the 4Cs.

Cheers!
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock

I''d go with E VVS1. I spoke to my jewler when we shopped for rings. She said that a VVS2 is considerably less expensive than a VVS1.

I have an E IF diamond. Love it!

If you live in L.A. or O.C., I can direct where you can get a 0.5 carat diamond E, VVS1 for around $4K, give or take. No pressure to buy, you get to see the diamond in under the microscope too!

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 6:12:54 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

I''d go with the D color stone. . .but, honestly, I''d probably choose neither stone, but go down a couple color grades to purchase a slightly larger stone. I''m not big on big stones, but still would go for a F VS2 in an larger .70 stone over a D VVS2 .50. (I do have a D stone and it looks beautiful, but my G stone looks just as gorgeous!
2.gif
_
Michelle,

When I was looking at diamond shopping, I could totally tell the color difference between an E and a G. The G was so much more yellow than the E. Imagine a D and G comparison.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 6
6.gif
6:12 PM
So WS, you can see the difference between D and F, and you can see SI 1 inclusions in other peoples rings?

I cant, not without being very rude and whipping out my loupe
Funny Garry,

But when your diamond is bigger, wouldn''t you see little black spots as light hits the diamond? I would think so. I think your comparison is a little exaggerated.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 3
6.gif
0:22 AM
Author: starfire
Hi,

Just thought I would add my 2 cents...

Frankly, I would recommend that you reduce your colour/clarity requirement to F vs2. That way you get a much bigger diamond for your buck. Unless you HAVE TO have a D or E colour and vvs clarity.

If colour is more important to you than clarity, you could go for Dvs2 or even Dsi1 and no one could tell the difference in clarity with their naked eyes and you would STILL end up with a bigger stone.

We usually recommend to our customers to place more emphasis on size and colour rather than clarity (which you cannot see with your eyes for clarity above vs2 or even si1). This is usually with our Gabrielle cuts, as the Gabrielle ''hides'' clarity better, but in this case the principle should still hold true.

Of course, this is with the understanding that cut is the most important C of the 4Cs.

Cheers!
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier
Singapore
Actually, you don''t have to go down in clarity or color or size for a good price if you don''t mind the certification. When I did my shopping, I found a 1.0 carat diamond for $4,500...D in color and VVS1 in clarity. Only thing is that it''s a Belgian Certified Diamond. Once I found out it wasn''t a GIA diamond, I didn''t pursue it.

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 4:52:39 AM
Author: PrincessBride

Actually, you don''t have to go down in clarity or color or size for a good price if you don''t mind the certification. When I did my shopping, I found a 1.0 carat diamond for $4,500...D in color and VVS1 in clarity. Only thing is that it''s a Belgian Certified Diamond. Once I found out it wasn''t a GIA diamond, I didn''t pursue it.
Hi PrincessBride,

Yes, you are right. However, many people are not comfortable with certificates other than GIA or HRD, because of the differences in grading standards.

Cheers!
Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 4:41:29 AM
Author: PrincessBride

Date: 1/25/2005 6:12:54 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

2.gif
_
Michelle,

When I was looking at diamond shopping, I could totally tell the color difference between an E and a G. The G was so much more yellow than the E. Imagine a D and G comparison.
Loose, side by side, maybe. Standing alone, mounted in a ring, against skin tones, with colored objects, clothing, and light thrown in the mix??

I''d guess that''s the point Garry was getting at. Anyone seeing a ring on another person''s finger isn''t going to know it''s D/IF or F/SI. If the stone is well cut, all anyone will notice is the sparkle.

I''d go lower color, lower eye clean clarity, and get a bigger, well cut diamond for the same money myself.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results