shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut score on Enchanted Diamonds website

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460308968|4017660 said:
Neil,

We update inventory on an hourly basis - you openly work with B2C Jewels via http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/ who has virtual inventory. As well as White Flash - which offers a virtual inventory selection.

B2C Jewels gives a cut grade for fancy shapes... Do they explain it or make it clear that its not via the GIA. Or how its derived?

I can go on and on and on and on - about how online diamond sellers are gaming SEO, SEM, keywords AND THE MINDS OF CONSUMERS BASED ON PSEUDOSCIENCE etc... In the most unethical ways - companies which you recommend.

Our cut score calculator DOES NOT RECOMMEND SIMILAR DIAMONDS!!! It could easily but does not. Where did you come up with that one?

Im assuming that I cant post a link to our cut score calculator. I put in a diamond that is not in our database and randomly selected it off another website... if I were allowed to post the GIA number up here I would.

But the results clearly said:
Cut score for this round 0.24 carat diamond is 60.0.
This diamond is either not well-cut, or has an unrecognized shape.

No other recommendations made - no bait and switch.

Pot calling the kettle black here.

Hi Joshua
So it seems that we agree –that it's not possible for ANY website to assess a fancy shaped diamond using numbers – correct?
Of course I know the answer to this – as does every astute reader of this forum.
I don't see how "secret formulas" work with educated consumer's.
Of course if someone knows nothing about diamonds, then they might trust some sort of secret score which is not based on sound gemological practice.
That's my objection - knowledgeable shoppers won't fall for a websites own cut score- but the uninitiated might.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil,

We update inventory on an hourly basis - you openly work with B2C Jewels via http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/ who has virtual inventory. As well as White Flash - which offers a virtual inventory selection.
Joshua. PDA hires me to answer specific questions about specific stones. I have nothing to do with the selection of the vendors or even the selection of the stones and I have no ownership interest in the site. Normally I don't even know who the vendor is. I suppose you can call that "openly working with B2C" if you like, but I most definitely do not. FWIW, I've had clients hire me to do the same with stones advertised on your site as well.

My post was mostly in support of you so I'm a little surprised you seem to be annoyed. I agree, it's not bait and switch. It's not even "poaching". Yes, I'm pretty familiar with the way virtual inventory works. I guess that's what the comment of black pots and kettles was about.

Where I found offers of similar diamonds was by directly playing with your program. It's been quite some time since I've been there but I'll take your word for it that this is no longer the case.

I wouldn't venture to guess if a link would be allowed here. It is the subject of the conversation, so it seems reasonable to me, but that's not my call. Ask the admins. I imagine they're monitoring this thread already.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil,

B2C Jewels gives a cut grade for fancy shapes... Do they explain it or make it clear that its not via the GIA. Or how its derived?

I can go on and on and on and on - about how online diamond sellers are gaming SEO, SEM, keywords AND THE MINDS OF CONSUMERS BASED ON PSEUDOSCIENCE etc... In the most unethical ways - companies which you recommend.

Our cut score calculator DOES NOT RECOMMEND SIMILAR DIAMONDS!!! It could easily but does not. Where did you come up with that one?

Im assuming that I cant post a link to our cut score calculator. I put in a diamond that is not in our database and randomly selected it off another website... if I were allowed to post the GIA number up here I would.

But the results clearly said:
Cut score for this round 0.24 carat diamond is 60.0.
This diamond is either not well-cut, or has an unrecognized shape.

No other recommendations made - no bait and switch.

Pot calling the kettle black here.
Joshua,
I am surprised that you would scream in all caps at Neil's post. My reading of it, he was essentially defending your business practices. Or at least putting them in perspective relative to the market as a whole.

Since you called Whiteflash into the discussion, I will point out that we provide full evaluations, including light performance imaging, as a standard part of our virtual diamond service. We also provide a deep stock of in-house inventory of owned and completely pre-vetted diamonds that are guraranteed available for those customers that are looking for diamonds in our area of specialty, and who do not want the uncertainty and potential frustration involved in virtual inventory.

With both the virtual inventory model and with different kinds of cut tools, the key is in making sure the consumer understands the pros and cons and limitations. Often merchants are not as clear as they should be in their representations.

I think it is only fair to mention that you did make some changes to your website messaging in response to some of the feeback you received here several months ago. I think that says something important about your desire to do the right thing.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Brian,

We always welcome feedback from the trade and consumers alike.

On the topic of SEO, SEM and Pseudoscience I merely was pointing out that there are many practices that it seems are acceptable for B2c to do - on the topic of change - we like many other only companies were calling diamonds Ideal/Excellent etc etc - which consumers here on PriceScope and if I recall some business representatives said was misleading. I also did not call out whit

In response to that - we obliged the community and discontinued doing so. A practice that I see many competitors who advertise on this site do without any comments or condemnation.

Further on the topic of SEO, SEM in which I was responding to Neil I had in mind the practice you have of showing Stars/Reviews for products:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3523918.htm

This shows up in search engines and at the top of your pages, Im sure this might be an accident or an oversight. The same happens for your ACA line.

Google views your products as having 4, 5 star reviews - each any every one of them, including virtual inventory.

I am not upset with Neil, I was putting emphasis in my response to his factually incorrect statement that our cut score has ever made any recommendations for similar diamonds. Our cut score calculator has never done that.

I might be a bit confused on the endorsements made on the website and your relationship, Neil. I know that you have an independent appraisal lab as well. I was merely stating that the vendors you recommend or approve of engage in things that are being critiqued in this post that you have volunteered to participate in.

Your websites experts page states "It’s like having Anthony Bourdain or Gordon Ramsey to help choose your wine. They listen to your desires, match known selections with your budget and personally provide endorsed, winning choices which perfectly suit your wishes."

http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/experts/

How can you match known selections without knowing the vendor or cutter? That seems like a really difficult way of going about selecting winning choices.

Also on the topic of in-house vs virtual - RockDiamond - I respect you very much as do I your taste, I took the time to come to your office to introduce myself and thought we had a wonderful conversation about the industry, our approach and your approach - you thought our lifetime warranty was meshuganah. I told you my vision for my company and we agreed we'd catch up another time as you had a broker coming in.

I thought I left your office with mutual respect and understanding for what each of us was working on and building.

I also thought it was against the rules for trade members to comment on other companies in general but maybe I misunderstood the rule. I appreciate everyones feedback, and hope that my feedback is taken with a grain of salt as its just MHO. I have plenty more feedback to offer or contribute if you'd ever like to chat - this really goes for anyone in the trade. I love talking about how it was/where its going/what we can do to make it a greater experience for lovers worldwide.

screen_shot_2016-04-11_at_4.png

screen_shot_2016-04-11_at_5.png

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Joshua,
Your willingness to discuss these issues is admirable. Your responses are clear, and well thought out.
It was good meeting you as well- of course that does not mean we'll necessarily agree on everything.
The discussion did take a unusual turn and I would like to again make clear that my comments would apply to any cut score, not just the ones on your site.
My feeling is that consumers will know enough to seek "excellent cut" without truly understanding what it means- and any website providing their own cut grade without a lot of qualification is offering misleading info, in my opinion.
On that aspect, we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoshuaNiamehr|1460308245|4017656 said:
CBI is advertising thats they have the worlds most high performance diamonds - AND FUTURE VALUE. I do no such thing - and also I dont see much explaining beyond that they are the best and most precise. Ill blind challenge my best vs their best and see which clients would pick any day. Meet me in Time Square - Ill arrange for security and permits if possible.
Sounds good to me!... :dance:

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1460432835|4018177 said:
JoshuaNiamehr|1460308245|4017656 said:
CBI is advertising thats they have the worlds most high performance diamonds - AND FUTURE VALUE. I do no such thing - and also I dont see much explaining beyond that they are the best and most precise. Ill blind challenge my best vs their best and see which clients would pick any day. Meet me in Time Square - Ill arrange for security and permits if possible.
Sounds good to me!... :dance:

Me too - weather will be nice and people from all around the world can take the test!

Ive already challenged my competitors to this but was met with comments from those vendors (paraphrasing here) "it takes time to appreciate the beauty of a XYZ diamond" - it sounds like the time comes AFTER the clients return policy has expired.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1460418598|4018105 said:
HI Joshua,
Your willingness to discuss these issues is admirable. Your responses are clear, and well thought out.
It was good meeting you as well- of course that does not mean we'll necessarily agree on everything.
The discussion did take a unusual turn and I would like to again make clear that my comments would apply to any cut score, not just the ones on your site.
My feeling is that consumers will know enough to seek "excellent cut" without truly understanding what it means- and any website providing their own cut grade without a lot of qualification is offering misleading info, in my opinion.

I disagree respectfully as well - consumers want guidance - they want to find the best values.

Jewelry store antics caused a major shrinkage in the retail sector of the industry.

Online offers wayyyy more transparency on the simple basis of the price being presented clearly.

And one of the MAJOR reasons we dont hold inventory is for the sole fact that we want to offer the best values - if I was carrying inventory I would have to concern myself with turnover of inventory and selling the products that I have in stock, loss/theft etc etc.

The business model allows us to be selective, transparent and neutral when helping our clients find the best for their needs.

The model of holding inventory is inherently flawed - these vendors have a stake and claim in what they offer to sell their clients, the labs they choose etc etc etc. And the consumer pays for it. If a business is carrying itself on cash or credit the consumer ends up paying for this lack of efficiency. If a vendor has to pay for more insurance, more overhead, more security etc etc etc - the consumer ends up paying for it. So we have both a bias and lack of efficiency - how does that ever benefit a consumer?

So then these businesses resort to scare tactics and concepts like "future value" - which is exactly what left consumers with a bad taste in their mouths.

Ive had an interesting seat having grown up with many branches of my family in this business on nearly every continent - and watching the industry rapidly change - with a lack of response to consumer sentiment, in fact they just behave in the distasteful manner which has left the industry in its challenged state - with a major lack of consumer confidence.

Thats why I have my ship pointed in a different direction.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460473386|4018280 said:
HI Joshua,

I disagree respectfully as well - consumers want guidance - they want to find the best values.

Jewelry store antics caused a major shrinkage in the retail sector of the industry.

Online offers wayyyy more transparency on the simple basis of the price being presented clearly.

And one of the MAJOR reasons we dont hold inventory is for the sole fact that we want to offer the best values - if I was carrying inventory I would have to concern myself with turnover of inventory and selling the products that I have in stock, loss/theft etc etc.

The business model allows us to be selective, transparent and neutral when helping our clients find the best for their needs.

The model of holding inventory is inherently flawed - these vendors have a stake and claim in what they offer to sell their clients, the labs they choose etc etc etc. And the consumer pays for it. If a business is carrying itself on cash or credit the consumer ends up paying for this lack of efficiency. If a vendor has to pay for more insurance, more overhead, more security etc etc etc - the consumer ends up paying for it. So we have both a bias and lack of efficiency - how does that ever benefit a consumer?
You should have stopped before that last paragraph. The concept that a merchant would actually put their own money into the goods they are representing as a good value to their client is somehow a flawed concept? You cannot be serious. You really don't understand how that can benefit the customer?

How about the fact that when they buy a diamond they know exactly what they are getting. How about the fact that they can actually count on the diamond being delivered. How about having the ability to have a consultation with the diamond in hand, have additional evaluations or imaging done. Or go really old school and visit the place of business and inspect it in person.

Joshua, you have said some pretty interesting things on this forum. That one is right up there.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1460474650|4018288 said:
HI Joshua,

You should have stopped before that last paragraph. The concept that a merchant would actually put their own money into the goods they are representing as a good value to their client is somehow a flawed concept? You cannot be serious. You really don't understand how that can benefit the customer?

How about the fact that when they buy a diamond they know exactly what they are getting. How about the fact that they can actually count on the diamond being delivered. How about having the ability to have a consultation with the diamond in hand, have additional evaluations or imaging done. Or go really old school and visit the place of business and inspect it in person.

Joshua, you have said some pretty interesting things on this forum. That one is right up there.

Thanks for chiming in again Bryan - you still havent addressed what I mentioned but thats okay.

Selective reading and hearing is why anything Ive said is new or interesting to you.

How do they know those facts? Based on what you are representing or based on what the lab is representing? With post processed photography and LED lighting? Im unsure on how you can say your consumers know what they are getting and with another vendor they dont?

Again your company in specific offers virtual inventory (all with 4, 5 star ratings in their meta data....) - why do this?

Not focused on the ecommerce part of our business but an interesting read nonetheless: http://www.nationaljeweler.com/independents/retail-profiles/4124-what-will-become-of-retail-jewelry-stores

The concept of a merchant putting their own money is nearly non-existent these days - there is usually some vendor/polisher/creditor, bank/lender, government institution involved. So I just dont buy it - but either way the model is still flawed whether you purchase your goods or get them on credit. You are hand-cuffed to sell your goods and say things and merchandise them and champion them over all else even if you bought identical goods at a higher price than your competitor because of say, the spot market prices dropping dramatically.

In example you call your A Cut Above diamonds "Super Ideal" - I did not know that AGS/GIS or any lab graded diamonds as "Super Ideal."

The other flaw in the model is selection. If consumers are looking for a large selection of aggressively priced beautiful diamonds - its going to be difficult to meet their demands. Which is why one would offer a virtual inventory to supplement their "in-house."

Mind you we too do offer showroom diamonds - we work with select partners to offer diamonds folks can view in person here in NYC.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
you openly work with B2C Jewels via http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/

While we have immense respect for Neil and all he does, and are glad to run in the same professional circles, there is no working relationship between Neil and B2C. He interacts only with consumers. They elect, or not, to take his recommendations. We are - as any vendor would be - happy to have our services recommended by advice sites, by former customers, industry professionals, PriceScope prosumers, or your next door neighbor.

As you know, business reputations are paramount in any industry and we have worked hard to maintain top-tier reviews for our business and business practices.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1460477103|4018296 said:
you openly work with B2C Jewels via http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/

While we have immense respect for Neil and all he does, and are glad to run in the same professional circles, there is no working relationship between Neil and B2C. He interacts only with consumers. They elect, or not, to take his recommendations. We are - as any vendor would be - happy to have our services recommended by advice sites, by former customers, industry professionals, PriceScope prosumers, or your next door neighbor.

As you know, business reputations are paramount in any industry and we have worked hard to maintain top-tier reviews for our business and business practices.

Right - I was referring to your practice of marking fancy shapes with cut grades - that are not graded by a lab as having a cut grade and presenting them in search results:

Something that folks on this forum (vendors mainly) called us misleading and unethical for - which we responded to quickly - which is something Bryan@WhiteFlash pointed out as an example. So when I brought this practice to Neil's attention it was under the understanding that he approved of B2C as a vendor: http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/vendors/b2c-jewels/ via the website he is listed on as an expert.

Now Im just confused - the diamonds are picked out of a hat and presented to the customer? How can they elect to buy a diamond from B2C at the advice of Neil/ProDiamondAdvisor if there is no working relationship? So when making these suggestions they are solely based on the same data that a consumer has available to them? Im very very very confused.

screen_shot_2016-04-12_at_12.png

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460476462|4018291 said:
Texas Leaguer|1460474650|4018288 said:
HI Joshua,

Thanks for chiming in again Bryan - you still havent addressed what I mentioned but thats okay.

Selective reading and hearing is why anything Ive said is new or interesting to you.

How do they know those facts? Based on what you are representing or based on what the lab is representing? With post processed photography and LED lighting? Im unsure on how you can say your consumers know what they are getting and with another vendor they dont?

Again your company in specific offers virtual inventory (all with 4, 5 star ratings in their meta data....) - why do this?

Not focused on the ecommerce part of our business but an interesting read nonetheless: http://www.nationaljeweler.com/independents/retail-profiles/4124-what-will-become-of-retail-jewelry-stores

The concept of a merchant putting their own money is nearly non-existent these days - there is usually some vendor/polisher/creditor, bank/lender, government institution involved. So I just dont buy it - but either way the model is still flawed whether you purchase your goods or get them on credit. You are hand-cuffed to sell your goods and say things and merchandise them and champion them over all else even if you bought identical goods at a higher price than your competitor because of say, the spot market prices dropping dramatically.

In example you call your A Cut Above diamonds "Super Ideal" - I did not know that AGS/GIS or any lab graded diamonds as "Super Ideal."

The other flaw in the model is selection. If consumers are looking for a large selection of aggressively priced beautiful diamonds - its going to be difficult to meet their demands. Which is why one would offer a virtual inventory to supplement their "in-house."

Mind you we too do offer showroom diamonds - we work with select partners to offer diamonds folks can view in person here in NYC.
With respect to the ratings/reviews on our diamond listings, I think there is merit to your observations and I am looking into it.

With regard to the concept of Super Ideal, you might want to do a little homework on it. Let me help you out. You are correct that neither AGS or GIA has such a designation. The AGS light performance grade of Ideal is considered to be the most stringent top cut grade of any of the top labs. However, they like GIA, they do not grade optical precision (3D symmetry). But we do, and in order for a diamond to get our top designation as A CUT ABOVE, it must have an AGS Ideal platinum cert AND have optical precision (H&A) to the levels prescribed by our published grading standard. A CUT ABOVE are also vetted for a number of other factors including any clarity features that might inhibit light performance. You can find all of the qualifications and specifications for our Super Ideal at the link below. We are totally transparent about it and welcome our customers to hold us accountable for each and every claim we make about the attributes of our diamonds.
http://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

I should add that we are able to do this specifically BECAUSE we invest in the production of these goods - we stock and own them. They are carefully vetted in-house and those that do not make our super ideal brand fall to either our Expert Selection or our third Premium Select category depending on their specific attributes.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Joshua,
If you have four generations in the diamond business, the apple certainly has fallen far from the tree.
"Virtual" diamonds are the leftovers that actual buyers like us, WF, CBI and others reject.
My example was of SI2 diamonds- a buyer woulds be crazy to buy an SI2 from a virtual selection.
But that's just the bottom end.
On the top end, the "virtual system" is also a terrible deal.
Companies like Whiteflash that actually buy diamonds take a lot of time and money to obtain stones they can show have greater value over the past 15 years of explosive internet diamond sale growth.
Kudos to them. Adding Virtual diamonds to an actual diamond business, like WF, is a totally different ball of wax than a 100% virtual site.

It's not that anyone is "afraid" of some sort of Times Square taste test. Stones like CBI, ACA and other "super ideal" stones have proven over time to be a sound investment for buyers who want the best of the best cut. They are also looking for the value the service that actual diamond men ( and women) can offer. For a consumer, investment in diamonds is not solely about the money.

True Diamond people put their own money ( and asses) on the line every day. Virtual diamonds offer no risk to the seller- and far less value to the buyer.
Of course for consumers looking only for price, the type of no inventory system you advocate will allow them to buy the least desirable diamonds for the lowest prices.
Plus you've got a totally misleading cut grade score to "help" them feel comfortable- as opposed to seasoned diamond experts actually assessing the value.
By all means, go for the bottom of the market- companies that are investing in the actual diamond business aren't looking to find the same buyers anyway.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1460478239|4018308 said:
With regard to the concept of Super Ideal, you might want to do a little homework on it. Let me help you out. You are correct that neither AGS or GIA has such a designation. The AGS light performance grade of Ideal is considered to be the most stringent top cut grade of any of the top labs. However, they like GIA, they do not grade optical precision (3D symmetry). But we do, and in order for a diamond to get our top designation as A CUT ABOVE, it must have an AGS Ideal platinum cert AND have optical precision (H&A) to the levels prescribed by our published grading standard. A CUT ABOVE are also vetted for a number of other factors including any clarity features that might inhibit light performance. You can find all of the qualifications and specifications for our Super Ideal at the link below. We are totally transparent about it and welcome our customers to hold us accountable for each and every claim we make about the attributes of our diamonds.
http://www.whiteflash.com/a-cut-above-diamonds-specifications-and-qualifications/

I did the homework - no lab calls a diamond Super Ideal - so I can understand you branding a diamond as A Cut Above and a diamond meeting a certain set of parameters - but how does that equal super ideal? Also are you saying Brian Gavin Diamonds, CBI, Enchanted, James Allen, B2C etc etc never ever and cant ever offer super ideal diamonds? Who set the bar for Super Ideal?

The term is not defined by any lab, government body etc - but yet you use it - likely for its SEO value and merchandising. Sending me to a page that uses the word Super Ideal does not make a diamond Super Ideal and does not preclude it from being misleading.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460478031|4018305 said:
Now Im just confused - the diamonds are picked out of a hat and presented to the customer? How can they elect to buy a diamond from B2C at the advice of Neil/ProDiamondAdvisor if there is no working relationship? So when making these suggestions they are solely based on the same data that a consumer has available to them? Im very very very confused.
Why is this confusing? PDA will, for example, hire me to give an opinion on an ASET image or on data that appears on a lab report or in photographs. These are all available directly to the consumer, and they are welcome to go through the process of making themselves an expert or to solicit the advice of whatever expert they choose, including me. They can flip a coin if they want. Anonymous amateurs do this here for free every day, and sellers include their own opinions on these things as part of the sales pitch, but many customers prefer to use actual professional services when they’re making a purchase of this importance or budget. What part of that is confusing you? Exactly the same applies to your own ads. People hire me to help them understand what is being presented. In no way does that require a relationship with YOU.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
RockDiamond,

Again slinging mud - I have searched through your inventory and know as a matter of fact that you take goods on memorandum and work with brokers and dealers. I can likely source a very high % of your inventory on any given day. This is the nature of the diamond business.

WhiteFlash has virtual inventory too! Same goes for my ability to source these goods.

So again the pot is calling the kettle black.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460479720|4018320 said:

I did the homework - no lab calls a diamond Super Ideal - so I can understand you branding a diamond as A Cut Above and a diamond meeting a certain set of parameters - but how does that equal super ideal? Also are you saying Brian Gavin Diamonds, CBI, Enchanted, James Allen, B2C etc etc never ever and cant ever offer super ideal diamonds? Who set the bar for Super Ideal?

The term is not defined by any lab, government body etc - but yet you use it - likely for its SEO value and merchandising. Sending me to a page that uses the word Super Ideal does not make a diamond Super Ideal and does not preclude it from being misleading.
Judging from your question I'm not sure you took the time to actually read the information at that page. But you ask a reasonable question nonetheless. The term Super Ideal implies that the stone has cut quality attributes beyond what is required for a lab grade of Ideal.

Super ideal is not a registered trademark of Whiteflash. Others can have their version. What makes us different is that our standard is extremely demanding, and we publish the exact details of the standard, so that customers know precisely what they are getting with our brand.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
denverappraiser|1460479927|4018322 said:
JoshuaNiamehr|1460478031|4018305 said:
Why is this confusing? PDA will, for example, hire me to give an opinion on an ASET image or on data that appears on a lab report or in photographs. These are all available directly to the consumer, and they are welcome to go through the process of making themselves an expert or to solicit the advice of whatever expert they choose, including me. They can flip a coin if they want. Anonymous amateurs do this here for free every day, and sellers include their own opinions on these things as part of the sales pitch, but many customers prefer to use actual professional services when they’re making a purchase of this importance or budget. What part of that is confusing you? Exactly the same applies to your own ads. People hire me to help them understand what is being presented. In no way does that require a relationship with YOU.

Its confusing because its just yourself and Brian of CBI listed as experts on a website only recommending WhiteFlash, B2C and Good Old Gold.

So all you do is give an opinion on the ASET image or data that appears on lab reports?

The website gives a totally different picture of what the process is/why the should use the service: http://www.prodiamondadvisor.com/why-pda/

Your PDA Expert has no financial stake in your selection. He or she receives a flat-fee unrelated to diamond cost, not a commission. We list all PDA Approved Vendors in the open and recommend them equally, without bias. Most importantly, your PDA Expert points you to multiple options, but YOU always make the final choice.

So as an Expert at PDA you are only hired to read ASET's and cert data - of a very specific group of vendors?

I think it might have the owner of PDA update the copy and content of the site to reflect your actual relationship and recommendations.

On PDA's FAQ it says:

Do you share my private information ?

No. We provide our Approved Vendors with a project number. The decision to make contact with any of them will be entirely up to you – after you receive our researched recommendations.

To me as a member of the trade it seems as though you have vetted these vendors and given them your stamp of approval from all the copy and content on the website.

In this thread and others you dont hesitate to cast your expert opinion on my company and make assumptions which have no merit - but cannot address one of the approved vendors on PDA (your site, your contractor, employer or whatever have you) and their practice of giving cut grades that dont exist on lab certificates - and the other vendor who freely and openly uses the term Super Ideal - though no laboratory or grading authority has bestowed this on the diamonds they sell - and their practice of giving internal star ratings that are passed to Search Engines as customer product ratings - at all?

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1460481168|4018339 said:

Judging from your question I'm not sure you took the time to actually read the information at that page. But you ask a reasonable question nonetheless. The term Super Ideal implies that the stone has cut quality attributes beyond what is required for a lab grade of Ideal.

Super ideal is not a registered trademark of Whiteflash. Others can have their version. What makes us different is that our standard is extremely demanding, and we publish the exact details of the standard, so that customers know precisely what they are getting with our brand.

Bryan - you removed a diamond with a chip in it if I recall that somehow got into your ACA line - so please get off your high horse and forgive me for not wasting more than 2 minutes of my time to read a bunch of search engine marketing jargon on a page that you used to take away attention from the facts.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460481374|4018345 said:
Texas Leaguer|1460481168|4018339 said:

Bryan - you removed a diamond with a chip in it if I recall that somehow got into your ACA line - so please get off your high horse and forgive me for not wasting more than 2 minutes of my time to read a bunch of search engine marketing jargon on a page that you used to take away attention from the facts.
I'm not on a high horse. I am trying to explain to you the concept of super ideal, which you clearly did not understand.

But you are apparently more interested in criticizing our brand than understanding it.

By the way, nowhere on that page does it say we are incapable of making a mistake. But the fact that we publish all of our specs makes it possible for someone to point out when we have missed something. And then we deal with it appropriately.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
No I am most interested in having a level playing-field. You cant (well you can) say XYZ is wrong and do XYZ yourself. And say we'll actually I can do XYZ because of 123.

In one post you say consumers know what they are getting - and in your last post you say - hey well we can make mistakes.

Obviously, all companies and business models have flaws - but a chipped diamond did once upon a time achieve an ACA rating. So you called a diamond super ideal, advertised it and waited for someone to point out it has a chip.

I recall a poster on this thread saying we could game the cut score etc. Which is blatantly false. But anything you desire can get marked as ACA and Super Ideal apparently? And when its misrepresented or wrong, its a mistake.

I look forward to hearing your feedback/response regarding your star rating system and what it publishes for consumers on search engines to view.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460480246|4018328 said:
RockDiamond,

Again slinging mud - I have searched through your inventory and know as a matter of fact that you take goods on memorandum and work with brokers and dealers. I can likely source a very high % of your inventory on any given day. This is the nature of the diamond business.

WhiteFlash has virtual inventory too! Same goes for my ability to source these goods.

In fact, we do take a small percentage of hand picked goods for the DBL site on consignment.
But because we actually buy ( in large volumes) from the cutters, as opposed to your business model, where you only call if you get a bite- the cutters will always give us preferential treatment. Even when consumers might ask us for a stone listed on the virtual database- if we're asking for a Virtual diamond and you're asking for the same diamond, we'll get the stone every time. The cutters put up with the virtual model, but far prefer people who have an actual stake in the business.

But we're speaking of less than 5% of the items we offer which are on consignment, the vast majority of stones on our site have been purchased by us prior to offering them for sale
So please, take your best shot- please try to sell something from our website Josh!

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1460483469|4018370 said:
RockDiamond,

In fact, we do take a small percentage of hand picked goods for the DBL site on consignment.
But because we actually buy ( in large volumes) from the cutters, as opposed to your business model, where you only call if you get a bite- the cutters will always give us preferential treatment. Even when consumers might ask us for a stone listed on the virtual database- if we're asking for a Virtual diamond and you're asking for the same diamond, we'll get the stone every time. The cutters put up with the virtual model, but far prefer people who have an actual stake in the business.

But we're speaking of less than 5% of the items we offer which are on consignment, the vast majority of stones on our site have been purchased by us prior to offering them for sale
So please, take your best shot- please try to sell something from our website Josh!

I have no reason to I have better priced goods direct from the polishers to me and then to the clients... And please the number is way higher than 5% last I checked, when I have some free time I can have an engineer write a script to check for overlapping inventory.

Im proud to say that we arent "high volume" we focus on quality and value rather than high volume.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460483727|4018372 said:
Rockdiamond|1460483469|4018370 said:
RockDiamond,

I have no reason to I have better priced goods direct from the polishers to me and then to the clients... And please the number is way higher than 5% last I checked, when I have some free time I can have an engineer write a script to check for overlapping inventory.

Im proud to say that we arent "high volume" we focus on quality and value rather than high volume.

HI Josh- so you don't sell all that much, even as a "Virtual" seller. Got it.
Still, please remember my point about how cutters prefer the companies that purchase diamonds for stock.
It's important to point out we can get any diamond you list on your site- and the cutter is happier to sell it to us. I'm sure that WF and other companies that have investments in diamonds can also get any diamond you're offering. But you can't get an ACA, CBI, or any item off our website.
Please have your guys do that research.
No more than 5% of our items (speaking numerically of items) on our site are on consignment.
If you were calculating by the total dollars of our offerings the percentage would be different- as some very important players are giving us exclusive access to items that sell in excess of $200k.
But I also invite you to try to get your hands on those.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460482690|4018359 said:
No I am most interested in having a level playing-field. You cant (well you can) say XYZ is wrong and do XYZ yourself. And say we'll actually I can do XYZ because of 123.

In one post you say consumers know what they are getting - and in your last post you say - hey well we can make mistakes.

Obviously, all companies and business models have flaws - but a chipped diamond did once upon a time achieve an ACA rating. So you called a diamond super ideal, advertised it and waited for someone to point out it has a chip.

I recall a poster on this thread saying we could game the cut score etc. Which is blatantly false. But anything you desire can get marked as ACA and Super Ideal apparently? And when its misrepresented or wrong, its a mistake.

I look forward to hearing your feedback/response regarding your star rating system and what it publishes for consumers on search engines to view.
As a matter of fact, over time we have strengthened the A CUT ABOVE brand by adding additional restrictions. Originally, a diamond with great light performance and precision 3D symmetry could have attained the brand with a chip. As you know a scratch or chip is commonly seen in certified diamonds and if they are minimal, most dealers don't make more of them than any other kind of small feature. But we decided some time back that we would vet for any issue that could be considered even a slight craftsmanship detail. (Even extra facet now disqualifies for ACA). At various time we have had to comb our inventory for stones that once qualified but no longer met all of the increased specifications. During those transitional phases, we did encounter a few cases such as you describe, which were dealt with transparently and appropriately.

You would have learned a number things had you availed yourself to the content on that page. But you seem content to simply assume you already know everything about our brand.

I will report back here on the reviews issue.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Joshua,

Forgive me, but it seems that you are extremely worked up, and just shooting at random at everyone who moves. You may want to take a deep breath and calm down.

With that said, it also seems that you are trying to aim this thread away from the original issue, the validity of your cut-score and the potentially unethical consequences.

Seeing that you pride yourself upon four generations in the diamond-business, you must agree with me that one of the rules in this industry is not to interfere in an ongoing sale. The rule is less clear if the buyer turns and invokes your involvement himself, but let’s agree that for sure, a vendor should not volunteer his owns interference in an ongoing sale. The PS-policies which restrict Trade Member comments and prevent solicitations on this forum are logical follow-ups of this generations old agreement.

The fact happens to be, and this was my original problem with your cut-score, that you seem to be offering this impartial service of a cut-score, regardless whether you can source that stone or not. No essential problem there, although I have serious reservations about the validity of your cut-score-system.

Where it goes against industry-rules, and consequently PS-rules, is when you happen to be listing that stone you're not just giving the cut-score, you also mention that it can be sourced from you. Falsely advertising that you can source a diamond is de-facto interference with the other professionals who *can* source it. This goes against all generations-old rules of this business. Surely, if you pride yourself upon four generations in this business, you must value such rules.

But that is not where it ends. Last week, I saw you advertising a stone for sale with you, which I already owned four weeks before. And checking with the entity I bought it from, they did not know your company and had no intention to do business with you. In this, I need to refer to another thread in which I explain that Anti-Money-Laundering and Know-Your-Customer regulations are extremely important aspects in nowadays business: One cannot simply claim that they can sell whatever item, where they take the info from a wholesaler-platform, if they do not have a a relationship with the true owner/supplier.

And the latter seems to be a pattern. In the past months, I have been alerted multiple times of cases in which a retailer had a stone in hand, offering it to a consumer, and Enchanted Diamonds appeared to also have it for sale at a rock-bottom-price. Very often, such stone also seemed to have a relatively low Enchanted cut-score. And the true owner had no knowledge of Enchanted, nor any intention to deal with them.

That altogether looks like a pattern, in which generations-old rules of the diamond-business are disregarded - for the benefit of a fast buck.

Other than the value of such very important trade-rules, I have no bone in this fight. Enchanted is not even competition for me, you are not playing in the same league. In that sense, your challenge for a comparison made me chuckle. It reminded me of the fight between Muhammad Ali and my compatriot Jean-Pierre Coopman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Pierre_Coopman
We Belgians are still grateful to Ali for letting Coopman leave this fight alive.

So Joshua, please take a deep breath, stop shooting at whomever moves, and consider your place in a tradition of four generations. Do you really want to scandal your forefathers by blatantly ditching professional etiquette as well as trade-regulations, or do you not care?

Live long,

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@RockDiamond - you can twist it however you like about what suppliers like - but quite frankly Im not in business because of my suppliers - I am in business for the millennials and silver surfers of the world that are exhausted by the nonsense spewed at them by the trade. I am not in the business of keeping fat cats on 47th Street fed their broker fees and carrying costs. Cutters prefer that because they want to offload inventory - not because its beneficial for consumers. So I dont see how your point relates to the end user being better off by your decision to buy in bulk or get exclusive goods on consignment.

In fact its to the contrary - every time Ive seen a polisher go exclusive with XYZ major competitor - Ive seen the prices of those goods shoot up.

The fact that your goods are exclusive to you means there is no marketplace - no competition and no way to do a price check on you.

How is any of that good for the consumer?

I bend my knee for our visitors and customers only.

@Bryan,

You make the point even more succinct with your last point - its a self proclaimed "standard" just like any other - its a brand and a trademark. Nothing makes it super ideal - besides White Flash calling it super ideal.

When I spoke of our cut score being updated/upgraded and rolling out new features, I was moderated by the Admin - but I will say it again since you talk about changes to your ACA. All this will happen long before the Tesla 3 arrives :pray:

The ACA has a lot more in common with our cut score than you know. It likely has more features, more abilities and automation.

I look forward to hearing back about those 5 star reviews you pass to Google on every product page.

Can you also comment on post processing done with images and videos of diamonds on White Flash?

Also I think it was Brian Pollard who wrote: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-article-by-brian-pollard-compares-aset-and-ideal-scope.212011/#post-3863094']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-article-by-brian-pollard-compares-aset-and-ideal-scope.212011/#post-3863094[/URL] - why not show your ASET images on white backgrounds? Wouldnt that be a more transparent approach? But if you are using post processing and color saturation it really wouldnt make much of a difference.

Also Im really looking forward to the "Times Square Challenge" - Im really hoping CBI, WhiteFlash, B2C and other sponsors who are touting their high performance/aca/perfection diamonds/other branded premium priced cuts - will come together and compete - Im not sure why this always gets ignored.

If Time Square is inconvenient we can manage to find another location - I offered to do this last year at the Las Vegas show. We can agree to hold the competition there if you like. If anyone wants to take me up on this challenge do let me know so we can select a venue and organize permits and security.

JoshuaNiamehr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Paul,

You used a lot of words to regurgitate previous posts Ive already responded to.

You also are not a lawyer so please dont school me on Anti-Money Laundering compliances and KYC. I also didn't know you do business and are based in the County and State of New York and can give me advice on such topics. Unless Im incorrect - I apologize please feel free to call me and give me a consultation.

I thought CBI cuts and polishes its own stones - so how would I have it in my inventory?

You also never reached out to me to tell me which stone it was. If wagering was allowed Id put 10 bucks on you were buying from a broker versus I was listing the source or someone else who had rights to sell the stone. There is no way I can have an item in inventory if it wasnt listed or fed to our system for processing.

People can give/deny listings access on the platforms - many suppliers dont list with us - but that doesnt mean they wont sell me diamonds.

What practice of interfering with an ongoing sale do you speak of? Its the engagement ring business - Ive seen gentleman make their decision after 2 years of shopping around.

Consumers shop around - what is wrong with that?

And Im glad that my challenge made you laugh because Im sure it makes consumers wonder - "why wouldnt Paul/CBI take Josh up on his challenge?"

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JoshuaNiamehr|1460490289|4018425 said:
@RockDiamond - you can twist it however you like about what suppliers like - but quite frankly Im not in business because of my suppliers - I am in business for the millennials and silver surfers of the world that are exhausted by the nonsense spewed at them by the trade. I am not in the business of keeping fat cats on 47th Street fed their broker fees and carrying costs. Cutters prefer that because they want to offload inventory - not because its beneficial for consumers. So I dont see how your point relates to the end user being better off by your decision to buy in bulk or get exclusive goods on consignment.

In fact its to the contrary - every time Ive seen a polisher go exclusive with XYZ major competitor - Ive seen the prices of those goods shoot up.

The fact that your goods are exclusive to you means there is no marketplace - no competition and no way to do a price check on you.

How is any of that good for the consumer?

I bend my knee for our visitors and customers only.

@Bryan,

You make the point even more succinct with your last point - its a self proclaimed "standard" just like any other - its a brand and a trademark. Nothing makes it super ideal - besides White Flash calling it super ideal.

When I spoke of our cut score being updated/upgraded and rolling out new features, I was moderated by the Admin - but I will say it again since you talk about changes to your ACA. All this will happen long before the Tesla 3 arrives :pray:

The ACA has a lot more in common with our cut score than you know. It likely has more features, more abilities and automation.

I look forward to hearing back about those 5 star reviews you pass to Google on every product page.

Can you also comment on post processing done with images and videos of diamonds on White Flash?

Also I think it was Brian Pollard who wrote: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-article-by-brian-pollard-compares-aset-and-ideal-scope.212011/#post-3863094']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-article-by-brian-pollard-compares-aset-and-ideal-scope.212011/#post-3863094[/URL] - why not show your ASET images on white backgrounds? Wouldnt that be a more transparent approach? But if you are using post processing and color saturation it really wouldnt make much of a difference.

Also Im really looking forward to the "Times Square Challenge" - Im really hoping CBI, WhiteFlash, B2C and other sponsors who are touting their high performance/aca/perfection diamonds/other branded premium priced cuts - will come together and compete - Im not sure why this always gets ignored.

If Time Square is inconvenient we can manage to find another location - I offered to do this last year at the Las Vegas show. We can agree to hold the competition there if you like. If anyone wants to take me up on this challenge do let me know so we can select a venue and organize permits and security.
Joshua, I've got a feeling you are determined to have the last word, so be my guest. But I will respond to the last few remarks directed towards me before handing it over to you:
Nothing except the list of requirements over and above the AGS 0 Platinum report, all of which must be met. It is super ideal not because it is branded A CUT ABOVE. It is A CUT ABOVE super ideal because it meets each and every one of those extra requirements.
The ACA has a lot more in common with our cut score than you know. It likely has more features, more abilities and automation
I would love to respond, but that statement makes absolutely no sense to me. Perhaps if you ever decide to read the specs and requirements of ACA you would understand how nonsensical that sounds.
Images and videos start out as really large files out of the camera. They have to be compressed and formatted to be uploaded to any website. Nothing is done between capture and upload to alter the veracity of the information being conveyed. Customers take our diamonds to appraisers and experts all the time to confirm the information we are providing.
AGS have devices that use both black and white backgrounds. Whiteflash chose black way back when and stuck with it for consistency. While leakage may not show as dramatically on ASET black, we also post IdealScope which shows leakage in a more pronounced manner. Because we provide both images, as well as multiple other images and diagnostics, our customers have a very thorough understanding of our diamonds.

And did I mention that they are in stock and ready for immediate delivery? Yes, we also provide a virtual inventory for customers who want to work with Whiteflash but are looking for something out of our area of specialization. And they get the benefit of all the same diagnostics that we provide on our own diamonds as soon as the diamond is brought in-house.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results