shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom setting from Greenlake, advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pauly1

Shiny_Rock

OK, I need some advice on the best way to move forward. What would be your suggestions, given the following situation?

I’m going to be working with Greenlake to build a custom setting; they are located in the Pacific Northwest.

I’m going to be purchasing the stone from a jeweler in NY, which is where I live.

Option 1: Have Greenlake build the setting, ship it to me, and I have my jeweler in NY set the stone?

Option 2: Buy the stone and ship it Greenlake.

The upside of option 1, I don’t have to put the stone in the mail and send it across the country. The downside, I’m wondering if Greenlake should build the ring from start to finish. (Is setting a diamond complicated, and is this something that others can do better than some?) How accurate are dimensions on a lab report? If I give Greenlake the specs from the report, will they be able to build the setting and drop the stone in? Or is better to send them the stone early on, so they have it in front of them. Should I be reluctant to put a stone in the mail, even if it’s insured? Lastly, while this will sound extremely paranoid, has anyone ever wondered if you are getting back the same stone you sent? I highly doubt this would be the case from such a reputable jeweler, but I live in NYC for while and sometimes I just assume the worst in people. :)

Thoughts would definitely be appreciated. Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would think that greenlake (LOVE their designs btw!) would have very specific requirements about what they need. have you talked with them about whether or not they will be needing the stone? if they need it, you send it. if not, don''t.
the safest method for sending irreplacable items is usps registered mail.
i do understand that the paranoia of sending your stone off and wondering if you are getting the same one back but i wouldn''t worry so much about it. what is the clarity grade of your diamond?

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
I think if you''re going to go through the time and effort to have the ring custom made, you should send the diamond to Greenlake. Without the stone in hand, the setting won''t really be ''custom'' for the stone and you might as well have bought a setting pre-made. If the diamond is insured, you''ve got your bases covered anyway.

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. In answer to your question, I haven''t purchased the stone yet...shortly
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 12:56:15 PM
Author: pauly1
Thank you. In answer to your question, I haven''t purchased the stone yet...shortly
1.gif
how exciting!
36.gif

if you get a little inclusion that you can see only upon close inspection, you will always have the reassurance that it *is* yours.
2.gif

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
That''s a good tip! I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results